• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sweet dreams Rudey

My downstairs munchkins had a fun day out to Harrogate. Mousey is muddling on ok; looks like her mite treatment is starting to work but not completely cleared so had another stronghold treatment, as did Rudey as a weird mite presentation is her best guess at his sticky fur patch. Rudey had his Novibac & a little claw trim too. Ruth happy he is looking & feeling in better condition.

Decided not to stress him out with more bloods but may if he continues to do well in to next year. She said certain values could change but it would be more indicative of his body coping better through good supportive care rather than the kidney damage resolving. She has seen CRF bunnies with "better" results than Rudey be so poorly they've had to be PTS so how he copes & how he presents is the most significant.

Back in 6 weeks or so if no problems

It sounds as though both you and Rudey should be feeling both pleased and proud that your regime of good supportive care is having such a good effect :) Interesting re his funny mite presentation.

It sounds as though both you and Rudey should be feeling both pleased and proud that your regime of good supportive care is having such a good effect :) Interesting re his funny mite presentation.

Jury's out on that one :lol:

Thanks Omi

All in all it sounds as though everyBun is coping well and I hope they will continue to do so :)

thanks JJ

he's left a huge untouched ceco splat . Would his vaccs make it taste funny ? (it certainly didn't smell the best ) or protest at day out?

thanks JJ

he's left a huge untouched ceco splat . Would his vaccs make it taste funny ? (it certainly didn't smell the best ) or protest at day out?

He probably feels a bit stressed out but his eventful day. As a one off 'splat' I would not worry. He may be a bit out of sorts for 24-48 hours after his vaccine. But some Rabbits are fine.

I’m pleased the vet was happy with him :love: I hope he will continue to do well for a long time to come:thumb:

Rudey update:love: moving well, looking good, feeling more solid / less fragile (weirdly as I can't get weight on him)

He still likes geranium, basil, grass & dandelion; nibbles on green veg, forage, hay cookies. He also loves his daily Oxbow Joint Support & Urinary support lozenges

Syringe feeding lots. He loves it. Almost every feed is still rewarded by a nice long cuddle

G0RF8bcl.jpg

I love this little bunny so much :love:

Rudey update:love: moving well, looking good, feeling more solid / less fragile (weirdly as I can't get weight on him)

He still likes geranium, basil, grass & dandelion; nibbles on green veg, forage, hay cookies. He also loves his daily Oxbow Joint Support & Urinary support lozenges

Syringe feeding lots. He loves it. Almost every feed is still rewarded by a nice long cuddle

G0RF8bcl.jpg
[/IMG]

I love this little bunny so much :love:

Bless him, he is such a special fella :love:

Precious boy :love: He is having a nice large variety in his diet :) You're also doing well to find some respectable grass to pick.

Shopping list suggestions - help please

I have a £40 budget to get some stuff to try & help Rudey increase the fibre in his diet, help him gain a bit of weight (ever the optimist) & help his sensitive tum. I would have started a new thread but then I'd have to go on about his health issues & what he will eat

To summarise he has poorly kidneys & poor appetite, has 6 syringe feeds of dual care daily, loves basil & geranium, nibbles a selection of dried food (nuggets, hay cookies, not fibre first or anything similar), nibbles fresh greens, herbs, grass & scraps of forage I can get (recently enjoying brambles which is cool as I know they'll be good). Loves fresh dandelions, Ok about dry

He is underweight though stable. His regular poop is a too small generally & his cecos too smelly. I think there is some dysbiosis going on. I don't feed him fruit or baby food in his feeds as these seem to upset him more.

Is echinacea in his water a good idea? Won't affect budget as I have it in. He is a good boy & drinks lots

Protexin pro fibre for rabbits is already pencilled on to list & 2 bags of dual care :)

Whats the best recovery food nutritionally speaking - anybun know?

I'll have a think about this, but tbh I can't think of anything obvious that you've not already tried.

Something I do find interesting is that he'll eat a hay cookie, but won't eat hay. My two are the opposite. They will eat hay of various different sorts, some more enthusiastically than others. But both of them completely refuse to do anything with a hay cookie. There must be a reason.

I'll have a think about this, but tbh I can't think of anything obvious that you've not already tried.

Something I do find interesting is that he'll eat a hay cookie, but won't eat hay. My two are the opposite. They will eat hay of various different sorts, some more enthusiastically than others. But both of them completely refuse to do anything with a hay cookie. There must be a reason.

It is strange. About once a day he will pick up a single strand of hay & eat it but thats it. Maybe its worth trying a different company (there are 3 varieties of timothy hay.co.uk in the house). I could get some green hay cookies from natures own & hay then try protexin from ebay maybe

I know some people dis pro/prebiotics, but all I will say is that they have helped Lord H enormously. I give him this twice daily in warm peppermint tea

https://www.vetark.co.uk/Shop/Wildlife/Health/ProC-Professional2.aspx

It has helped his cecal dysbiosis AND it has helped him metabolise dietary nutrients meaning that he has maintained a healthy weight.

Most Rabbits will drink a lot more water if this product is added to their usual drinking water. Given Rudey's renal issues optimal water intake will be beneficial.

I know some people dis pro/prebiotics, but all I will say is that they have helped Lord H enormously. I give him this twice daily in warm peppermint tea

https://www.vetark.co.uk/Shop/Wildlife/Health/ProC-Professional2.aspx

It has helped his cecal dysbiosis AND it has helped him metabolise dietary nutrients meaning that he has maintained a healthy weight.

Most Rabbits will drink a lot more water if this product is added to their usual drinking water. Given Rudey's renal issues optimal water intake will be beneficial.

Fab - that definitely sounds like it could help his tum. I think I read (or heard ) pro is destroyed in gut but pre ok. Defo worth a shot. Could I just put in water bowl shared with Mousey? He doesn't like peppermint tea - I tried

Back