• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sweet dreams Rudey

Rudey has taken his sulfatrim between 2 malted shreddies smeared with banana. Must taste better than baytril . Very pleased there's to be no squirting drugs in to reluctant bunny mouths

Sulfatrim tastes MUCH better than Baytril..................yep I have tasted both !!

Sulfatrim tastes MUCH better than Baytril..................yep I have tasted both !!

damn you JJ - not to be outdone (I am a sheep) I just tasted it. Its not nice, kinda bitter, not really offensive.

I had it in my head the made baytil liver flavoured - I'm not sure if a vet told me that or I've imagined it

When you know your vet emailed your care giver a list of foods to feed you up that included apple & carrot:love: & you are presented with one scabby bramble:evil: leaf for supper

GsHZUzwl.jpg

Redeemed herself marginally this morning but still no carrots

3I0sM7yl.jpg

Please send carrots with the vibes, Rudey xx

Oh poor Rudey, Treacle says she would willingly share her little bit of grated supper carrot if she could, but sends you lots of bunny vibes and nose bumps xx

Oh poor Rudey, Treacle says she would willingly share her little bit of grated supper carrot if she could, but sends you lots of bunny vibes and nose bumps xx

Rudey says thank you to Treacle for her kind words & suggests her mum could send the remainder of the carrot once your bit has been grated off. Ask her to put it in a paper envelope so I stand a chance of getting to it before her

damn you JJ - not to be outdone (I am a sheep) I just tasted it. Its not nice, kinda bitter, not really offensive.

I had it in my head the made baytil liver flavoured - I'm not sure if a vet told me that or I've imagined it

Yes I understand Baytil to be liver flavoured, it's aimed for dogs! Metacam is sweet like honey and sulfatrim you can get a banana flavoured one but I don't think Doughnut got that laste time as she now doesn't like it! I think ranitidine and metaclopramide isn't too bad either as she has them from a syringe, tramadol is another no go. Even when mixing it with metacam she won't take it. For some reason I can't disguise baytril or tramadol in anything for her to take it.

Loving the photos :)

Yes I understand Baytil to be liver flavoured, it's aimed for dogs! Metacam is sweet like honey and sulfatrim you can get a banana flavoured one but I don't think Doughnut got that laste time as she now doesn't like it! I think ranitidine and metaclopramide isn't too bad either as she has them from a syringe, tramadol is another no go. Even when mixing it with metacam she won't take it. For some reason I can't disguise baytril or tramadol in anything for her to take it.

Loving the photos :)

This Septrin isn't banana flavoured. He doesn't like it - only got away with one shreddie dose. I'm pleased I didn't make up the liver thing. I like the taste of metacam. I think most bunnies do once they've got their heads around the scary syringe thing

Thank you :love:

This Septrin isn't banana flavoured. He doesn't like it - only got away with one shreddie dose. I'm pleased I didn't make up the liver thing. I like the taste of metacam. I think most bunnies do once they've got their heads around the scary syringe thing

Thank you :love:

I know mine hasn't been for the last couple of years but I remember one lot being banana as Doughnut loved it now she doesn't like it! I can't seem to disguise baytril or tramadol, tried everything, so always have to pick her up and syringe it.

We took Rudey back to the vets today. I've not been happy with his appetite or poo quality & he looks a little downbeat. Plus I'd got quite bad stone & sludge paranoia.
I gave him a couple of syringe feeds yesterday & one for his journey today.

Helen xrayed him (this had been planned for next Monday). On the plus side no evidence of sludge or stones (& I assume tumours / other nasties would show up on most xrays). His bones are slightly denser than an average bun but not at the the stage where they are all thick & calcified (I forget the term). He also had a nice full tummy & she said I'd done a good job with the top up feeds.

Not so good is his liver looked slightly enlarged so she took samples for full blood profile - this ones gone off to the lab . Not panicking yet though.

To attempt to perk him up & improve his appetite he has had a steroid injection. This was now 5 hours ago & he does not look perkier or hungrier. How long before they take effect? The injection, if it benefits him could be offered weekly but we need to see whats what with his liver first

The nurse who had helped Helen with the bloods & conscious xrays described him as the "bravest rabbit in the world" :love: my lovely boy

Nethie Charlie would take about 30mins to perk up post-steroids: Lopsy took more than 4hrs but less than 12 (it was overnight).

Aww, brave Rudey :love: Best wishes for some positive changes :D

Ah bless him. Doughnut had a steriod injection when she had myxi when we didn't know it was that but she was losing weight. It helps build them up. Sorry can't remember how long it as she was put on tramadol too. I would like to this he would perk at least by night time. You could always call your vet just to ask. You're doing all you can

Henry and Lillian send the gorgeous Rudy gentle nose bumps and hope that his appetite begins to improve.
Sending loads of vibes from us all and hope Rudy does start perking up xx

Nethie Charlie would take about 30mins to perk up post-steroids: Lopsy took more than 4hrs but less than 12 (it was overnight).

Aww, brave Rudey :love: Best wishes for some positive changes :D

Reassuring to know of variable response times - thanks

Ah bless him. Doughnut had a steriod injection when she had myxi when we didn't know it was that but she was losing weight. It helps build them up. Sorry can't remember how long it as she was put on tramadol too. I would like to this he would perk at least by night time. You could always call your vet just to ask. You're doing all you can

awww, thank you. I'll speak to my vet when the results are in so will quiz her then. My bunny who had them years ago had them in tablet form, I remember they turned him in to a Superbun but can;t remember how long it took

Thank You for the well wishes Pets mum & craig. He eats - just not enough. But then I get paranoid & shove different foods in his face every 5 mins. Prob doesn't help

awww, thank you. I'll speak to my vet when the results are in so will quiz her then. My bunny who had them years ago had them in tablet form, I remember they turned him in to a Superbun but can;t remember how long it took

Haha doughnuts never had them before and I was surprised when he said he was giving her an injection. I was syringe feeding her at that point though. Keep us posted. I'm terrible with medicine. If her meds don't work in an hour I'm panicking thinking why aren't they working! I'm sure tramadol is supposed to work in about an hour but doughnut is dry today after two weeks on them and that's what happened when she had myxi she was dry two weeks after tramadol. So I think some meds need to build up a bit first but when they are ill we want something instant!

Back