• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sweet dreams Rudey

I really feel for you J&B. My two sound very similar: Fudgie is a really fussy eater while Snoopy is a furry pig who will eat anything and everything. I've no idea what I would do if I had to get her weight up with him scoffing all the extra food.

It's really tough for you because what can you do if you offer Rudey high calorie foods but he doesn't want to eat them? You can lead a horse to water, etc etc.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Thanks Craig & Scrappy - although I don't want anybun else to feel my pain its nice you understand what I'm on about.

I made some homemade treats - nope (Mousey confirmed they are as tasty as usual). Ended up syringe feeding him again. He was hungry for it. that was 2 hours ago & since then he is nibbling grass & foragey bits at his usual rate. I'm going to syringe feed him lots more I think, til he is eating properly by himself.

Thanks Craig & Scrappy - although I don't want anybun else to feel my pain its nice you understand what I'm on about.

I made some homemade treats - nope (Mousey confirmed they are as tasty as usual). Ended up syringe feeding him again. He was hungry for it. that was 2 hours ago & since then he is nibbling grass & foragey bits at his usual rate. I'm going to syringe feed him lots more I think, til he is eating properly by himself.

Will he eat what you are syringe feeding him from a dish/bowl ? Sometimes 'renal Rabbits' prefer lots more wet food types, so fresh forage, grass, veg and perhaps pellets served after being soaked in water or a bit of fruit/herb tea. I am wondering if some fluid therapy for a few days may be of benefit :? Fluids given subcutaneously should be OK, not necessarily IV. If his kidneys are not performing too well there will be a build up of toxins in his bloodstream and that would make him feel bleurgh.

I'm sorry that Rudey didn't eat his treats. He must be feeling quite rotten :(

Jane's point about the fluids makes a lot of sense, although he does drink quite a lot doesn't he?

Sending lots of vibes for him and hugs for you.

He does only eat wet food except for a few nuggets. His hit list is geranium, grass, sow thistle, milk thistle, cucumber & ash. He won't have any combination of pellet mush or cc of a dish though Mousey will. He drinks well. I need to panacur him too but reluctant to start when his appetite is so poor.
He is still of sulfatrim. I hope that isn't upsetting him - can't wait til the course is over

Not helping is they are both moulting. Mouse's worst moult yet, she is losing heavily from her back - Rudey & Mouse spend hours each day grooming each others backs.

Since I decided to up syringe feeding his poo is a little better. Could be fibreplex but he wears most of that. Bloody awkward to administer

Sending more vibes for Rudey.My bridge bunnies both loathed fibreplex and were most reluctant to eat it.I found it rather thick to syringe feed and as you say they mostly wore it.

Thanks Zoobec & Katty

I caught him having some dried forage earlier

CoPFz15l.jpg

Sending lots more eating vibes for Rudey x. Sorry if you have already said, but have you tried him with Burgess Excel Dualcare ? I seem to remember someone on here saying their bun wouldn't take critical care, but really liked the Burgess

Sending lots more eating vibes for Rudey x. Sorry if you have already said, but have you tried him with Burgess Excel Dualcare ? I seem to remember someone on here saying their bun wouldn't take critical care, but really liked the Burgess

I think it was Doughnut. I did think about getting him some & now I've been reminded I should try him. Some things I try have got to work, surely

He is so handsome :love: sorry if it’s already been discussed, does he like puréed fruit/veg ? Frosty doesn’t like critical care but will eat it from a saucer or at least take it from a syringe more willingly if it’s mixed with a little mashed banana or better still his personal favourite, Aldi Apples, Carrots and parsnip baby food pouch. Also, pellet mush made from pellets soaked with a little boiling water soon cools down and he liked that.

He is so handsome :love: sorry if it’s already been discussed, does he like puréed fruit/veg ? Frosty doesn’t like critical care but will eat it from a saucer or at least take it from a syringe more willingly if it’s mixed with a little mashed banana or better still his personal favourite, Aldi Apples, Carrots and parsnip baby food pouch. Also, pellet mush made from pellets soaked with a little boiling water soon cools down and he liked that.

We have a selection of aldi baby fruit pouches but for some reason he is off fruit. I am sticking some in his cc anyway. He quite likes being syringe fed (not meds) but won't entertain anything from a saucer. He used to

Have you kept a diary of his eating preferences recently? I've looked back through this thread and it *appears* to me that his pickiness became more apparent after he started on Sulphatrim. Googling to see if this was a common issue, fair to say it was probably inconclusive. There are instances where it has been questionned whether Sulphatrim can cause loss of appetite and certainly in humans it can cause nausea and vomiting. It's a long shot but it would be a good result if this current issue was caused or made worse by the abx. How long has he got to take them for?

Back