• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sweet dreams Rudey

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Awaiting Rudey's.
Does anyone know of a chart or site that will explain what the test results mean?

TIA xx

Last edited:
No sorry I don't, but I'm sure someone will. Good luck, hope you don't have to wait too long for results xx

thanks Jane. Good info. No values though, maybe they'll give me ranges over the phone.

Thanks too petsmum, some of his results will take a few days but some could be back today

Another question - sorry - any antibiotics contraindicated for bunnies with poor renal function?

thanks Jane. Good info. No values though, maybe they'll give me ranges over the phone.

Thanks too petsmum, some of his results will take a few days but some could be back today

Another question - sorry - any antibiotics contraindicated for bunnies with poor renal function?

More info here, first paragraph

http://www.greendale.co.uk/rabbit_u...herbivores and thus,averaging about 130 ml/kg.

Re abx, this applies to humans but a similar protocol would be followed for Rabbits

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/lis...ug-interactions/renal-impairment-summary.html

I wasn't given values for specific gravity - shall ask my vet when all results back. They did observe crystals though, apparently not unusual but the way they clumped is:?

I wasn't given values for specific gravity - shall ask my vet when all results back. They did observe crystals though, apparently not unusual but the way they clumped is:?

There are various types of urinary crystals

http://eclinpath.com/urinalysis/crystals/

In Rabbits an abnormal pattern of involving Calcium oxalate monohydrate crystals is seen in cases of bladder sludge/stones I think

http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.com/urinary-diseases-exotic-pets-proceedings

I'm sure your Rabbit Savvy Vet will explain everything to you in detail today :)

Sounds like they're sending the urine off so you can ask for a copy of the results, that will have the values and then the normal range. Try not to be alarmed if stuff seems to you to be out of the normal range but the vet says it's not significant. I get Jack's results like this and sometimes the vets only say for example his urine protein was high but to me other ranges are out of the normal but the vets know when it's not significant/there's a reason for this. Best of luck for rudey!

There are various types of urinary crystals

http://eclinpath.com/urinalysis/crystals/

In Rabbits an abnormal pattern of involving Calcium oxalate monohydrate crystals is seen in cases of bladder sludge/stones I think

http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.com/urinary-diseases-exotic-pets-proceedings

I'm sure your Rabbit Savvy Vet will explain everything to you in detail today :)

wow - lots of types of crystals & lots of explanations. I'll check in with my vet when his lab results are back - thanks

Thanks Liz. I'm kinda expecting dodgy results as his bloods have already shown elevated urea & creatine :( He wasn't hypertensive & his glucose was normal which was considered positive but I don't know why. His wee doesn't look rabbity
dqXGXokl.jpg

I'm finding it all very confusing - I need everything explaining from start to finish in very simplistic terms. The problem I guess is my vet is still trying to work out whats the cause:?

Results back. I wasn't expecting positive & negatives written. do they normally look like this

Please find in this email Rudy's urine results and our recommendations based on these as discussed over the phone.
Leukocytes neg
Nitrite neg
Urobilinogen neg
Protein +
pH 8
Blood neg
Ketone neg
Bilirubin neg
Glucose neg

SG 1.015

Sediment exam: lots of aggregations of the Ca oxalate, no blood, few cocci

What does everybun think? xx

A negative Leukocytes means that there is no infection in the urinary tract. There are no white blood cells - white blood cells are the bodys defence mechanism so the lack of those means that there is no apparent infection there.
Negative Nitrite means no bacterial infection - supporting the above.
Not sure about the Urobilinogen.
The PH might be boarderline alkeline but might be within tollerance
Negative Ketone I believe, rules out diabetes as a high reading could be a sign of diabetes.
Bilirubin - I think this is like the urobilnogen - not sure what that means
Glucose negative, again, I think is a marker for diabetes so the lack of I think means less possibility of diabetes.

I'm not a medical expert - just my opinions on the readings so I would let your vet run through these with you and explain more. Also, JJ us usually extremely good and knowledgable on these sort of things so hopefully JJ will pop on here soon and add her far greater knowledge on these results than mine.
Sending more vibes for Rudy - but I think the results are perhaps more encouraging. xx

A negative Leukocytes means that there is no infection in the urinary tract. There are no white blood cells - white blood cells are the bodys defence mechanism so the lack of those means that there is no apparent infection there.
Negative Nitrite means no bacterial infection - supporting the above.
Not sure about the Urobilinogen.
The PH might be boarderline alkeline but might be within tollerance
Negative Ketone I believe, rules out diabetes as a high reading could be a sign of diabetes.
Bilirubin - I think this is like the urobilnogen - not sure what that means
Glucose negative, again, I think is a marker for diabetes so the lack of I think means less possibility of diabetes.

I'm not a medical expert - just my opinions on the readings so I would let your vet run through these with you and explain more. Also, JJ us usually extremely good and knowledgable on these sort of things so hopefully JJ will pop on here soon and add her far greater knowledge on these results than mine.
Sending more vibes for Rudy - but I think the results are perhaps more encouraging. xx

aww thanks so much Craig - super helpful. I just got the results so will email to my vet & I'm sure she'll be in contact about next steps xx

I googled " aggregations of the Ca oxalate" and I think it is kidney stones in hoomans terms? Maybe saying there is calcium sludge perhaps or maybe that's a good thing he's weeing out the calcium as normal. We need Jane

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I googled " aggregations of the Ca oxalate" and I think it is kidney stones in hoomans terms? Maybe saying there is calcium sludge perhaps or maybe that's a good thing he's weeing out the calcium as normal. We need Jane (

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Yes loobers, I concur with this exactly. CA is calcium (my son is studying chem at uni so I’ve had my nose buried in the periodic table as well as other stuff), so this sounded like a calcium related sludgy issue to me. Graciee might be able to shed some light on this as I believe one of her gorgeous wee buns suffers from that.

Yes the vet (local) mentioned stones. However don't you see sludgy pee or difficulties peeing with stones ?? This is what confuses me. He has absolutely no problem peeing & its always a good stream. But he does have slightly high calcium. But I THINK calcium could be high if kidneys not functioning???

I concur you lot are an excellent source of info & a good stand in while JJ sleeps

Back