• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Food and grunting!

nicolar

Mama Doe
Hi

Just quick question, my rabbit Princess grunts and charges at you when you go into her in the evening. It only ever seems to be when food is about as she is generally nice as pie during day. Doesn't ever bite and is lovely once you are in there. As she is a rescue do you think it could be something as simple as a kid teasing her, hence not liking ppl stepping into her space or maybe having food taken away from her? She is about 2 years old and was found as a stray.

It isn't really a problem as I just ignore her and she gets lots of fuss when she is nice to me! You can put your hand in her bowl and in tin (if she is being cheeky!) right next to her mouth and she isn't fussed.

Just wondered if anybody elses bun does this? She is quite a foody bun so I put it down to excitement together with wanting her food.

Nicola

Is she spayed? Charging and grunting can sometimes be a territorial thing, just making sure you know whose food bowl it is ;)

Tam

Yep she is Tamsin. Lol I think she must just be letting me know it is her space!! Perhaps I should install a bunny door bell so she only lets me in when she wants me there!!? :wink:

I think it most probably is territorial and food related, as I said not a problem as I ignore her, just wondered if anybody else's bun was like this.

Thanks Tamsin :)

Oh anything I should do to stop it getting worse? Or is it just one of those things?

Nicola

My British Giant does that to his girlfriend. He is so impatient to get to the food that he chases poor Charlie around the cage like mad until I put the food bowl in. She knows the routine, gets out of his way, gives him a headstart, then starts eating with him a few seconds later without problems... :lol:

Ah bless! Some bunnies are just too impatient to get to their food! I guess that I will just have to accept being grunted at!

Poor Charlie, she must hide when she sees the food bowl coming! Mine does settle down once food is in her bowl and she is happily munching.

Nicola

Back