• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spare vibes for Lillian please

Lillian girl I am so sorry to hear you are feeling off today :( Craig please don't be so hard on yourself - look at all the excellent care givers on here who are constantly put through it with their bunnies. It's not your fault! These things happen even to the bested of bunny owners like yourself. I will have everything crossed that it's something simple going on. If not, then Lillian is in good hands as we all know how much you care and will get to the bottom of it. Sorry if I missed it in the thread but did she try bottled water?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Sorry to be late to this thread. It may be that Lillian has a slight UTI/Cystitis, not that she has actually formed any stones again. So the problem may be relatively easily treatable with abx, pain relief and fluid therapy. Sending lots of get well vibes for her xx

Thank you everybun for your vibes - and making me cry more.
But also feel more assured. It's 7am - we're just getting ready to go to the vet hospital - logic being that they open at 8am and my logic is that there is far more chance of getting seen by a vet by turning up first thing, than perhaps the smaller dedicated surgeries where appointmennts might be more tricky.
Lillian is still reasonably ok. Normally the green food and small amount of dried food I leave for supper is all gone by morning - every morning. Today, there was about half the green food still left and none of the dried food eaten. So something is not right. I have checked Henry - just in case he is presenting as having any symptoms, but he is perfectly clean and dry. Lillian was bright enough - chilled, and decided that since I was around, she would eat some greens. Strange behaviour.
Underneath she is still wet - but if I am so bold as to say this, perhaps not as soaking wet as I had feared. I'm not suggesting she is improving - still think that medical intervention is required for that, but I was expecting huge areas of wetness which there wasn't. Her skin is a beautiful healthy pink colour - no sign of sore or redness or inflamation - so the flamzene is clearly helping any with this.
I am, thanks to all you wonderful RU's, leaning more towards UTI - JJ's post helped reinforce what a few other posts have suggested.
It is an amazing and tearful comfort that all of you provide when it is needed, for people like me. Your support and kind words are powerful and meaningful and very much appreciated.
I will update later today once we have seen the vet.
Thank you all again
Craig xx

Update from vets at 9:30.
Things are not great, but at the same time, they are moving forward. Lillian has been admitted as a precautionary measure due to the symptoms and also because the vet feels she is also in stasis. The vet could feel no evidence of poop in her gut and was concerned about that. Temperature is a little higher than they would like and the vet managed to inadvertently express some pee which she really didn’t like the look of- no blood but very cloudy- date I say it, perhaps sandy colour? In view of the stasis and past history of bladder stone, the vets will do bloods and an xray today, iv drips, pain relief as they feel she is in discomfort underneath on her bladder, and medication for stasis. There is a possibility of a bladder stone but the vet also said it could be uti.
So now have to wait for call to see what the results all indicate. I feel very empty today and I am thinking all the time of how Lillian must be feeling.
Will update once I know what the results are.

Sending hugs.

Positives are that Lillian has been seen and that the vet seems to be organising lots of sensible investigations. Lillian is also receiving appropriate medication and care.

I hope you get some non-scary results soon.

Pleased that Lillian has been seen, and is being given a thorough going over. Sounds like she is in safe hands Craig. Really hope you get results soon, lots of vibes for your girlie and big hugs for you Craig xxx

I hope she is soon feeling better, it sounds like the vets are being thorough. Topping up the vibes and hugs xx

Oh Craig [emoji17] It's really hard when they have to be kept in and you're spending all your time wondering and worrying about how they're getting on. On the plus side, it's good that they're being so thorough in getting to the bottom of it and treating her for the stasis. I'm sure they'll take good care of her.

I hope you get an update from them soon xx

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Update 10:45. Vet just called. No sign on X-ray of any stone so I just about broke down sobbing at that point. There is, however a major infection going on as bloods show signs of this. So Lillian is on fluids, antibiotics and the constant care of a nurse. Temperature down slightly and she is comfortable but likely to be spending the rest of the day and night st the hospital.
I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for all your vibes. They seem to be working and alleviated the dread of the bladder stone. She’s in the right place and making a recovery. With it being an infection, I supppse it explains the swiftness of how Lillian went downhill and at least we were acting as quickly as we could in the circumstances.
Thank you all so much
Craig and Lilian xxx

Hi Craig, great news that there's no stones and sounds like she's responded to the anti-biotics. You did well getting her seen asap.
Fingers crossed here for the rest of the day. xxx

Update 10:45. Vet just called. No sign on X-ray of any stone so I just about broke down sobbing at that point. There is, however a major infection going on as bloods show signs of this. So Lillian is on fluids, antibiotics and the constant care of a nurse. Temperature down slightly and she is comfortable but likely to be spending the rest of the day and night st the hospital.
I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for all your vibes. They seem to be working and alleviated the dread of the bladder stone. She’s in the right place and making a recovery. With it being an infection, I supppse it explains the swiftness of how Lillian went downhill and at least we were acting as quickly as we could in the circumstances.
Thank you all so much
Craig and Lilian xxx

Thank goodness there are no stones. Your very prompt action and attentiveness to Lillian's issues means that the outlook HAS to be positive. Aggressive abx/fluid therapy pain relief and prokinetics (to treat pain related gut stasis) will hopefully mean that in 48 hours she will be feeling MUCH better.

Just think how many Rabbits left alone in a hutch would suffer for days before anyone noticed there was a problem. Lillian is one of the lucky Buns who has a Care Giver who really cares.

Sending millions of get well soon vibes for Lillian. Please tell her that I empathise with these pesky 'woman's trouble' bladder problems. They dont 'arf hurt, but once the infection is treated the relief is amazing xx

Lots more vibes for Lillian. I'm pleased there is no indication of bladder stones. Hope she clears that infection & is feeling more comfortable really soon

So glad there's no stone!

Lillian is so lucky to have you on her side :) sending a million vibes and I hope she reacts quickly to treatment :) xx

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Back