• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gemini left us heartbroken

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
After losing Dash Monday, I never expected Gemini to get ill before Wovernight Wednesday to Thursday. He did not eat greens and passed some small poor with medium ones so I suspected from his she's do g. After I groomed him I gave Gemini fluids. That is when I saw horizontal nystigmus in left eye and his head tracking like he got months ago with his head tilt and ear infection.
I hand fed him and gave him the one dose of antibiotic I had left from May.
I spoke to vet in afternoon and cannot get more Bilillin so need to get azithromycine .
He also got critical care syringe food
Next batch of poos looked better and eye movement stopped. By 11pm last night He stumbling and sitting in one place. It is 530am and only passed few smelly cecals (he had few before antibiotic too).
I love my handsome friendly Gemini so much.
He has Dental couple weeks ago.
Vibes needed.

Last edited:
Sorry to read this about poor Gemini. Sending millions of vibes for poor Gemini- I hope he begins to improve soon. And hugs to you- you have had a very stressful few days. Xx

After losing Dash Monday, I never expected Gemini to get ill before Wovernight Wednesday to Thursday. He did not eat greens and passed some small poor with medium ones so I suspected from his she's do g. After I groomed him I gave Gemini fluids. That is when I saw horizontal nystigmus in left eye and his head tracking like he got months ago with his head tilt and ear infection.
I hand fed him and gave him the one dose of antibiotic I had left from May.
I spoke to vet in afternoon and cannot get more Bilillin so need to get azithromycine .
He also got critical care syringe food
Next batch of poos looked better and eye movement stopped. By 11pm last night He stumbling and sitting in one place. It is 530am and only passed few smelly cecals (he had few before antibiotic too).
I love my handsome friendly Gemini so much.
He has Dental couple weeks ago.
Vibes needed.

Oh my goodness I cant believe it :cry: Is Gemini also having a non steroidal anti-inflammatory ? As you know it is inflammation that causes the clinical symptoms such as nystagmus. I am wondering if your Vet may want to put Gemini onto Fenbendazole to cover for EC ?

Sending millions of vibes, you must be beyond exhausted :cry:

Oh no...poor Gemini :( Sending healing vibes your way with all due speed.
I'm sorry life seems to be throwing so very much at you right now, T. I hope things turn around for you soon. ((((((((Huge hugs)))))))))) xxxxx

Oh my goodness I cant believe it :cry: Is Gemini also having a non steroidal anti-inflammatory ? As you know it is inflammation that causes the clinical symptoms such as nystagmus. I am wondering if your Vet may want to put Gemini onto Fenbendazole to cover for EC ?

Sending millions of vibes, you must be beyond exhausted :cry:
Yes, medicam.
My regular vet will not add panacur. He did get from other exotic vet when my vet not avail in spring. Abx alone helped him before resistant to original one,so fingers crossed.
Vet cannot get Bicillin whiched in spring. It is not being produced. Today he got azithromiacin.

Yes, medicam.
My regular vet will not add panacur. He did get from other exotic vet when my vet not avail in spring. Abx alone helped him before resistant to original one,so fingers crossed.
Vet cannot get Bicillin whiched in spring. It is not being produced. Today he got azithromiacin.

Azithromycin can be a very affected abx for the treatment of head tilt caused by otitis media as it has very good tissue penetration :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Azithromycin.htm

I do hope that there has been some improvement in Gemini's symptoms x

Azithromycin can be a very affected abx for the treatment of head tilt caused by otitis media as it has very good tissue penetration :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Azithromycin.htm

I do hope that there has been some improvement in Gemini's symptoms x
He began to pass mucus in a very tiny amount of soft poo. still not eating .
Gemini is peeing less than usual and he is slow clearing sub q fluids.
This is why He was given a dose of panacur I had leftover from spring when he got 11pm syringe feed.
What if is not same as spring. I am second guessing myself an stressing about my other bunnies who seem ok.*

Last edited:
Thinking of you. It's horrible when we are left trying to determine whether a rabbit's symptoms are presenting in the same way as before in an attempt to come to a diagnosis. Sending lots more vibes for Gemini.

He began to pass mucus in a very tiny amount of soft poo. still not eating .
Gemini is peeing less than usual and he is slow clearing sub q fluids.
This is why He was given a dose of panacur I had leftover from spring when he got 11pm syringe feed.
What if is not same as spring. I am second guessing myself an stressing about my other bunnies who seem ok.*

Did the mucus in his poo start AFTER the dose of Azithromycin ? If so personally I would not administer any more and contact your Vet ASAP. Azithromycin is an affective abx BUT it is in the 'moderately high risk' group re causing gut problems- ie Abx induced Enteritis

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Clostridial_enteritis_rabbits.htm

Until you can contact your Vet I'd keep up aggressive fluid therapy.

Sending millions more vibes for him xx

Did the mucus in his poo start AFTER the dose of Azithromycin ? If so personally I would not administer any more and contact your Vet ASAP. Azithromycin is an affective abx BUT it is in the 'moderately high risk' group re causing gut problems- ie Abx induced Enteritis

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Clostridial_enteritis_rabbits.htm

Until you can contact your Vet I'd keep up aggressive fluid therapy.

Sending millions more vibes for him xx
before.
gave more fluids retaining under skin. little pee. may need iv.
kidneys?

Back