• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

science selective natural for stasis prone bunnies ?

Griffski

Warren Scout
Hi all - I have a 5 year old stasis prone bunny (due to digestive issues). He is well managed (no stasis for 2 years plus:) ) through diet recommended by forum experts (hay, grass, limited pellets and herbs) but still often drops caecotrophs. His weight is good so I don't think he is overfeeding. I wondered if anyone has tried science selective natural and noticed any benefits with bunnies with similar issues (he is on 'normal' science selective and burgess mix at the moment)...

Hi all - I have a 5 year old stasis prone bunny (due to digestive issues). He is well managed (no stasis for 2 years plus:) ) through diet recommended by forum experts (hay, grass, limited pellets and herbs) but still often drops caecotrophs. His weight is good so I don't think he is overfeeding. I wondered if anyone has tried science selective natural and noticed any benefits with bunnies with similar issues (he is on 'normal' science selective and burgess mix at the moment)...

Not sure, but burgess excel can cause excess cecotropes I've heard people say in the past, so maybe try stopping the excel? And see if there's an improvement? :)

I have the science selective grain free which I've had no issues with, with my bun who has stomach issues, but I don't actually feed pellets anymore.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

His stasis has been good for two years per your post so I suggest that you make any change very slowly, mixing current feed with small amount of new feed. if bunny tolerates add more new to current each week .

His stasis has been good for two years per your post so I suggest that you make any change very slowly, mixing current feed with small amount of new feed. if bunny tolerates add more new to current each week .

Thanks bunny momma - will do - thought might be worth a try with more 'natural' pellets - though he's had no statis episodes would be good if could further improve his guts .. esp in fly strike season ...if any success will report back.

thanks Gracie - good to know the 'natural' selective is tolerated by your bunny. The excel is only a recent addition .. he's been on science selective past two years.

delective 'natural'

sourced some selective natural and will report back if works with dysbiotic bunny :)

I haven't tried them but Doughnut has slow gut mobility and acid reflux and I now keep her permanently on dual care pellets as it's about 83% fibre. This is now used instead of critical care in hospitals and can have water added to it to feed it like that. I've noticed her poops are so much bigger and since she isn't eating any hay at the moment she is doing really well on these.

I haven't tried them but Doughnut has slow gut mobility and acid reflux and I now keep her permanently on dual care pellets as it's about 83% fibre. This is now used instead of critical care in hospitals and can have water added to it to feed it like that. I've noticed her poops are so much bigger and since she isn't eating any hay at the moment she is doing really well on these.
I bought some of that exel dual care after you suggested it, went down well here with two buns in stasis :)

Just wanted to say though with the fibre, I don't think it's high, excel always put something called beneficial fibre on their packets which doesn't seem to actually mean anything from what I could see, and the crude fibre is the actual amount of fibre the pellets contain. Seems to be a marketing ploy from what I could make out.

I do like the pellets, I just think excel are sneaky! [emoji38]

Oh I thought they were high as my vets told me they were and higher than critical care, that's why they use them.

Oh I thought they were high as my vets told me they were and higher than critical care, that's why they use them.
Well they're 21% crude fibre compared to excels standard pellet, which is 19% crude fibre.. So they're a higher fibre pellet.

According to oxbows website critical care has -
Crude Fiber (min) 21.00%
Crude Fiber (max) 26.00%

So they're either the same or have less fibre than CC. Depending on variation, Idk what excels minimum and max values are.

Back