• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Going to lose my bunny soon

Pandora was admitted again today for review xrays and ultrasound. She kindly allowed the vets to do the tests conscious. The xrays showed that the fluid has reduced and they can now see the outline of the heart but both tests confirm she still has oedema in the lungs. They did ultrasound of the heart and found that the right side (I forget which chamber) is so dilated, so large and the muscle so thin and weak, that it actually isn't really doing anything. The vet said that for a rabbit with reduced lung function and half a heart she's doing rather well!

Pandora was admitted again today for review xrays and ultrasound. She kindly allowed the vets to do the tests conscious. The xrays showed that the fluid has reduced and they can now see the outline of the heart but both tests confirm she still has oedema in the lungs. They did ultrasound of the heart and found that the right side (I forget which chamber) is so dilated, so large and the muscle so thin and weak, that it actually isn't really doing anything. The vet said that for a rabbit with reduced lung function and half a heart she's doing rather well!

What a star :love: May she have many more 'good' days to come :love:

It sounds like she iwants to stay with you as much as you want her to stay. Sending you both more vibes for many more good days

Thanks all.

I find it a bit sad that it is becoming winter now so she'll be getting cold and not able to go out on nice grass etc. Then again the vet gave her six months as a fair estimate and that was just before last winter :lol:

Thanks all.

I find it a bit sad that it is becoming winter now so she'll be getting cold and not able to go out on nice grass etc. Then again the vet gave her six months as a fair estimate and that was just before last winter :lol:

She obviously has no intention of taking any notice of a pesky Vet !!

New med is Pimobendan. She had the first dose this morning.

Very cold last night, so definitely need to get thinking cap on for winter proofing again. The previous accommodation (a shed) was easier because I cocooned it in duvets, the aviary is a lot bigger, less solid and a different shape...

New med is Pimobendan. She had the first dose this morning.

Very cold last night, so definitely need to get thinking cap on for winter proofing again. The previous accommodation (a shed) was easier because I cocooned it in duvets, the aviary is a lot bigger, less solid and a different shape...

Is there any chance of her being a House Bunny ? Or does she hate being indoors ?

Unfortunately not only is she not keen on being indoors but I have a) nowhere to put her (my own bedroom is smaller than the aviary) b) a cat and c) parents.

Could you put some sort of heating down there? Heat pads are good but only last a certain amount of time.

Unfortunately not, the aviary is at the end of the garden and we'd have no way of running things down there (plus the potential for chewed wires). They do have segregated areas that currently have hay and straw in them, although at the moment neither rabbit is sleeping there...

Unfortunately not only is she not keen on being indoors but I have a) nowhere to put her (my own bedroom is smaller than the aviary) b) a cat and c) parents.

Well you could move the parents out to the Aviary............... ;)

Joking aside, you may get some ideas for insulating the Aviary etc from here :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/RWAFtoptipsforwintercare.pdf

http://www.therabbithouse.com/outdoor/rabbitwinter.asp

http://www.therabbithouse.com/outdoor/insulating-rabbit-hutch.asp

https://www.amazon.co.uk/slp/shed-insulation/fc5f5g5y9bd334c

Thank you. The aviary has a solid back and roof and shower curtains surrounding the other sides. Pandora currently has part of the top floor isolated off with deeper bedding and Bailey has a section of the bottom floor sectioned off with deeper bedding. They do have boxes to hide in. Technically the solid walls are insulated but only with poor man's insulation (a cut up duvet...) which didn't stop water freezing last year and the thermometers showed little change in temp between the "insulated" area and non insulated. I am hoping to get my hands on more duvets to put on the outside and see if that helps. In all likelihood they'll be fine, but I'm just a paranoid bunny mummy.

Thank you.

It seems I'll have to do something sooner than expected. Bailey is back in stasis. He's currently sulking under my bed. Then again, despite the fact he had a whole 7 x 4ft area filled with straw and hay he opted to sit in what might have been practically the most exposed area of his entire side of the aviary :roll:

Pandora got through her dental with no issues at all, aside from the fact her poops are still pretty tiny. She's full of beans and currently enjoying being a temporary house rabbit.
I've even accidentally found a new thing that she's willing to eat with gusto...

... cat food :roll:

Back