• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Twisted gut? Poor Gingerbread died today :-(

Sammy&Patch

Warren Scout
My poor darling Gingerbread died today :-( Igot him from the SSPCA 4 years ago, at the time they said he was 4 years old so he is estimated at 8 years old now! He was a delightful, friendly wonderful bunny. I got Gingerbread as a companion for Sammy after Patch died. Sammy passed away in June this year, nearly I years old, we had her from a baby. Gingerbread had been doing well, good condition etc. Lately he had a few issues. One was pasty urine, the other was weepy eyes and runny nose. He was xrayed mouth and back end, nothing untoward showed up, teeth were good. We cut down his nuggets (he wasn't eating many anyway) and any high calcium veg. He also had water in a bowl as well as bottle to encourage more drinking. He also had urine sample analysed and bloods taken. Again nothing untoward showed up. He still had a bit of pasty urine but not much and very infrequent. He had started sneezing quite a bit so we did antibiotics for a week and that seemed to clear it up. He had his myxy and vhd injection 2 weeks ago and was perfectly fine after, no issues. He had been doing great. Yesterday we went out and came back to find he hadn't eaten the dandelion leaves I left him which was strange for him. He wouldn't eat his favourite treat either. I gave him some zantec and managed to get him to eat some veg and he licked and licked at some cucumber but wouldn't eat it properly. He drunk some water from the bowl when I put it right next to him. This morning he was doing a gagging/wretching thing a couple of times, as if he was trying to be sick. I gave him some more zantec and he did the same. I picked some more dandelion leaves and grass and he ate about 8 dandelion leaves and stopped gagging. I also gave him some loxicom incase he was in pain. I was ready to ring the emergency vets if he wouldn't eat but he was booked in tomorrow morning anyway for his second vhd injection so I figured as long as he was eating, I had the medicine anyway, no point in stressing him more. But about lunchtime he was staggering about. I picked him up and put him down, he couldn't stand up properly. I shouted to my partner and phoned the vet. They have to take your details and get the vet to phone you back. While waiting for the call (less than 5 minutes), Gingerbread was head tilting, on his side, eyes bulging poor thing. I didn't know what to do. He seemed to have stopped breathing so we tried moving him a bit, picking him up but nothing worked. He seemed to have some sort of fit. The vet phoned, I told her I thought he was dead but I could still feel movement. She said we could wait and see or bring him in if we wanted. I said we would bring him in as although we thought he was gone, I wanted the vet to confirm and also see what they thought happened. Our vets is less than 5 mins away but as it was emergency we had to go through to the main branch which is 20 minute drive. I'm glad we did though. The vet was very nice (she put Patch down years ago for us and was so compationate). She said there was still a faint heartbeat but he had gone in his mind etc, so I was glad I was cuddling him in the car. He was still warm but getting colder. She felt him and said she could feel something in his guts, she things he had a twisted gut and that caused toxins or toxic or something that then killed him. She said the only thing we could have possibly done for that if we had caught it earlier was to operate but unlikely to be successful. She offered to organise cremation or whatever we wanted or we could take him home. We took him home and will phone crematorium tomorrow. The vet wrapped him up so carefully and gave me a hug. She is also going to let my normal vet know as I was due to see her tomorrow for the injection. I am glad we took him to see the vet as I really wanted to know what had happened. I was worried it was related to having the myxy injection even though it was 2 weeks ago or his urine problem but she said it wouldn't be either of those things.
Anyway, poor Gingerbread is now with his best friend Sammy, running over the hills and eating as much as he wants :) I will miss you so much my 'buddy boy' xxx

Back