• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit humping help for new owner!

Bunny559

New Kit
Hi!

I currently have 2 male rabbits and really need some advice. I was told by the vet to get them nuetered 4-5months and they have just turned 4months yesterday (they are brothers). Today one of my buns started humping the other for the first time. The only thing is he wont stop it is constant he wont stop unless I move him. The other rabbit is starting to get annoyed and I have no clue what to do! He cant be anywhere near him without trying to mount him he cant even sit with him for more than 5minutes. I didn't want to separate them because they are bonded but I am so worried they are going to fight especially as they are not nuetered yet. Do I leave them? Do i try and stop him mounting? Do i separate them? Please help :(

Unless you can watch them 24/7 I would be inclined to separate them, and try rebonding after they are neutered. If they escalate into a fight then it may break the bond and be impossible to rebond later. If you have them neutered immediately (boys can normally be neutered once their testicles have dropped) and you can watch them carefully and intervene immediately if they start circling, which is usually the build up to a fight, then you may be able to keep them together but it is risky, as their hormones will take several weeks to subside after the op.

I agree with Zoobec. Boys always usually fight at around this age. I do hope that once neutered and healed you will be able to re-introduce them, on neutral territory.

Hi, it might be worth taking them back to the vets to check if they can now be neutered. My boys were neutered together and the vet said they really supported one another afterwards by encouraging each other to eat and stuff as it’s a scary experience having a friend helps. With boys I believe most vets just wait till the male bits have dropped and they are a good weight to be neutered and they can normally be neutered safely younger than girls.
If they are already exhibiting sexual behaviours your vet should definitely consider neutering them as long as they are a good weight. My two Netherlands weighed about 1kg/800g when they were done and they were both mounting and exhibiting these behaviours, as soon as they were fixed they were friends again having shared the experience.

Zoobecs advice is absolutely spot on - I can't add anything to what Zoobec says - absolutley agree.

Back