• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Finding a friend for 9 year old Dutch

aerofine

Warren Scout
I have a 9 year old Dutch female, who has outlived three male companions. She lost her last friend in July. We took her to bond with a male today at a local rescue centre but she attacked him straight away :cry:.

I've contacted another rescue centre (Rabbit Rescue NW) to see if they have any suitable buns but do people think she may be better on her own given her age?

I don't know what to do for the best tbqh.

I have a similar problem with a 9 year old male rex. All his bonds were difficult but I tried to bond him into my group when his last partner died and they all started fighting. He was very stressed and I also suspect his vision is poor so I’ve decided to keep him on his own. He now lives in the house and seems quite happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I adopted a male dutch rabbit who had fought with every rabbit that the rescue tried him with. They managed to bond him with a beautiful white baby doe.

They now live happily in my house. He may be short sighted, hence the fighting.

They are always cuddled together.

Best of luck. You know your rabbit best.

Sorry unable to offer any advise, just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I have the same dilemma with my 10 year old, I really can't decide what to do, as I worry another new bond would be too stressful for her at her age. She's always lived with us in the house and gets lots of love and attention, so for the time being I'm seeing how things go.

Sorry unable to offer any advise, just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I have the same dilemma with my 10 year old, I really can't decide what to do, as I worry another new bond would be too stressful for her at her age. She's always lived with us in the house and gets lots of love and attention, so for the time being I'm seeing how things go.

I've not managed to find a suitable friend. She's been to two different places in the last 10 days to try and bond with male bunnies - she attacked one and the other didn't like her. So I'm back to the drawing board. There doesn't seem to be many places in the NW who will do bunny bonding as well.

I'm sorry to hear things still haven't worked out for your little girl. Maybe it might be best the let her have a little rest from the stress of trying to bond her., and see how things go and try again in a month or so. My girl has actually perked up a lot over the past few weeks and eating much better than she was, she's even taken to shoving the cats out of her way when she wants to get passed them :lol:

Have you tried Macclesfield RSPCA, and also Manchester and Salford RSPCA? I’ve adopted from both in the past, and think they both do bonding. I know Macclesfield do bonding anyway. I haven’t used either for bonding but both branches have lots of rabbits. Also, probably further away but an excellent rescue is Barnsley animal rescue (BARC) I’ve also adopted from there, but not used them for bonding personally.

Our Dutch bun was 8 when his partner died, and I was also worried about the stress of bonding. He’s always been the submissive rabbit, and unfortunately there were 2 unsuccessful bonds. We persevered though, and bonded him with a beautiful baby mini Rex. So I’d recommend perhaps giving her a break, then bonding with a baby?

Back