• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eating solid food

So A few weeks ago I posted about my baby bunny saying sge was thin and wasn't eating, at first the vet said she may have a viral infection but then we found out that her bottom teeth 1. Overlap the top teeth and 2. Were really long so we gave them a trim about four days ago and i grated up fruit and vedge for her, sometimes gave her oats and got her some vitamins which she loved and thought shes still seems thin she seems to have a lot more energy and shes started grooming herself again which is great and she seemed to have a full belly even though she was only eating about 6-9 teaspoons of oats/ greated vegie mix a day plus she was eating cucumber and strawberries quite a bit too. The issue is, I'm not home enough to be feeding her through the day cause I have to go to school and although she enjoyed the greated food it left a huge mess on her face from where it was dribbling out and it would solidify so she couldn't clean it off. Because shes small and she hates baths and shes so fragile I hate getting her wet and cold i tried her on a dry food again, this time it was a diffrent type it has a mix of green hey and grains and things which the pet shop lady suggested would be good for putting weight on. But she isn't really eating it. Granted I've walked in 3 or 4 times today and shes been sat there chewing but it seems what she's doing is spilling it all out nibbling at it slightly and leaving it, and when i put the spilt food back it the bowl has barely changed in level since i filled it this morning. I dont know if its because one of her bottom teeth is shorter than the other? Or her mouth is still sore? Or if this is normal? Because she still seems to have energy but her belly seems emptier than before. Anyone else experiencing this or have any possible solutions?
I've attatched some photos of the food bowl before and after she spills everything out and of her (bare in mind shes 12 weeks old)
19880801bed68ff9a6d10f271cea4a70.jpg
434960b48b032e1ba2ac17e7b6979bd6.jpg
115f8d5c2c77ff27986346321c058ca5.jpg
e41c2c29fee6c6284cd3bfc468350f8e.jpg
cf02f8c539847454ee422a551e88d92f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

She should have access to hay all the time. If she is struggling you can chop it up a bit - and try different sorts (fine, stalky, etc). She may find fresh grass easier to eat than hay. Cut it with scissors or just pull it with your hand. Both grass and hay are essential for gut health and to grind the teeth down as it is eaten. Alfalfa hay is good for growing bunnies as it has a higher protein and calcium level than regular hay.

She should have access to hay all the time. If she is struggling you can chop it up a bit - and try different sorts (fine, stalky, etc). She may find fresh grass easier to eat than hay. Cut it with scissors or just pull it with your hand. Both grass and hay are essential for gut health and to grind the teeth down as it is eaten. Alfalfa hay is good for growing bunnies as it has a higher protein and calcium level than regular hay.
She has hay in her tray at all times and goes outside in the grass area to run around a lot but never seems to have any interest in the hay or grass. I have tried her on 2 diffrent types of hay, a goldy brown one which is still in her tray and the fresher green stuff in her bowl which is already fairly short and theoretically easy to chew. But these are the only two types I can find around.

Have you tried her with something like Critical Care mixed with baby food? That might help her to gain weight. I would also get the vet to check her over again as buns can rapidly go down hill or into stasis if they don't eat for long periods.

If she isn't eating much hay or grass, I would get her teeth checked again. The back teeth are difficult to assess properly in a conscious rabbit, but a vet should be able to get an indication of any issues using an otoscope to examine them and the soft tissue in the mouth. The front teeth should only be trimmed by a vet and should be burred down rather than clipped, to avoid damaging the roots. Rabbit teeth grow really quickly - 2 weeks is long enough for dental issues to re-occur if they are not eating enough long fibres. Fibre is also needed to keep the guts working and improve the poo size / shape / quantity (ideally, lots of large, crumbly golden-ish ones)

I would also swap out some of the food mix for more hay / grass, and maybe introduce small amounts of foraged food eg bramble leaves, apple and willow twigs with leaves.

Has she been vaccinated yet? In the UK she would need RHD2 (which comes as RHD1&2) and myxo / RHD1. So that is two vaccinations, with at least a gap of 2 weeks between them.

If she isn't eating much hay or grass, I would get her teeth checked again. The back teeth are difficult to assess properly in a conscious rabbit, but a vet should be able to get an indication of any issues using an otoscope to examine them and the soft tissue in the mouth. The front teeth should only be trimmed by a vet and should be burred down rather than clipped, to avoid damaging the roots. Rabbit teeth grow really quickly - 2 weeks is long enough for dental issues to re-occur if they are not eating enough long fibres. Fibre is also needed to keep the guts working and improve the poo size / shape / quantity (ideally, lots of large, crumbly golden-ish ones)

I would also swap out some of the food mix for more hay / grass, and maybe introduce small amounts of foraged food eg bramble leaves, apple and willow twigs with leaves.

Has she been vaccinated yet? In the UK she would need RHD2 (which comes as RHD1&2) and myxo / RHD1. So that is two vaccinations, with at least a gap of 2 weeks between them.
No she hasn't been vaccinated the vets don't want to give her any medicines because of how weak she is. She also refuses to eat any of the hay i offer. Do you think it would make a difference if i soaked the food for a bit to make it softer for her? I want to try and get her chewing again but she point blank refuses to look at anything that may be difficult to chew. I don't know if its because her teeth are still sore or because shes frightened to?? I want to take her to the vet but i wont be able to afford to for the next couple of weeks so my hands are tied. I'm trying to do my best from home.

Have you tried her with something like Critical Care mixed with baby food? That might help her to gain weight. I would also get the vet to check her over again as buns can rapidly go down hill or into stasis if they don't eat for long periods.
She has been eating, like I said I've been greating up carrots fruits watering down oats and giving that to her which has given her a nice full belly for the last three days but I'm not 100% sure if i should keep doing that until she puts on weight or try her on dry food again? Would it be healthy to keep her on the softer food until she puts on proper weight ( or soaking up her current rabbit food in water to make it softer) or will that do more damage than good?

So A few weeks ago I posted about my baby bunny saying sge was thin and wasn't eating, at first the vet said she may have a viral infection but then we found out that her bottom teeth 1. Overlap the top teeth and 2. Were really long so we gave them a trim about four days ago and i grated up fruit and vedge for her, sometimes gave her oats and got her some vitamins which she loved and thought shes still seems thin she seems to have a lot more energy and shes started grooming herself again which is great and she seemed to have a full belly even though she was only eating about 6-9 teaspoons of oats/ greated vegie mix a day plus she was eating cucumber and strawberries quite a bit too. The issue is, I'm not home enough to be feeding her through the day cause I have to go to school and although she enjoyed the greated food it left a huge mess on her face from where it was dribbling out and it would solidify so she couldn't clean it off. Because shes small and she hates baths and shes so fragile I hate getting her wet and cold i tried her on a dry food again, this time it was a diffrent type it has a mix of green hey and grains and things which the pet shop lady suggested would be good for putting weight on. But she isn't really eating it. Granted I've walked in 3 or 4 times today and shes been sat there chewing but it seems what she's doing is spilling it all out nibbling at it slightly and leaving it, and when i put the spilt food back it the bowl has barely changed in level since i filled it this morning. I dont know if its because one of her bottom teeth is shorter than the other? Or her mouth is still sore? Or if this is normal? Because she still seems to have energy but her belly seems emptier than before. Anyone else experiencing this or have any possible solutions?
I've attatched some photos of the food bowl before and after she spills everything out and of her (bare in mind shes 12 weeks old)
19880801bed68ff9a6d10f271cea4a70.jpg
434960b48b032e1ba2ac17e7b6979bd6.jpg
115f8d5c2c77ff27986346321c058ca5.jpg
e41c2c29fee6c6284cd3bfc468350f8e.jpg
cf02f8c539847454ee422a551e88d92f.jpg

Update: so this morning I woke up and I decided to try and soak her food in water and she still just stuck her nose up at it but then I mixed it with her vitamins and she can't seem to get enough of it now?! Hopefully this is a good sign.
1cb93ef521757080e254bc508e139eaf.jpg

She has been eating, like I said I've been greating up carrots fruits watering down oats and giving that to her which has given her a nice full belly for the last three days but I'm not 100% sure if i should keep doing that until she puts on weight or try her on dry food again? Would it be healthy to keep her on the softer food until she puts on proper weight ( or soaking up her current rabbit food in water to make it softer) or will that do more damage than good?

Glad to hear she is eating well this morning, you could still try things like Critical Care and baby food as this should help with weight gain. Personally I would still take her to the vet to have her fully checked over just to be on the safe side.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

I agree that she should go to a rabbit savvy exotics vet immediately to get to the bottom of the problem. If you can’t afford it now they can sometimes offer payment plans to help. Also I would keep in mind that you will need money to hand at short notice often with a bunny as they can go downhill very quickly. She does look weak :cry: I would recommend when you pick her up you use the other hand to support her bottom so that her back doesn’t flip and twist, as they can hurt themselves.

Sending lots of vibes for her.

You can cut grass up into quite small lengths and mix it with her other food so she gets more fibre in her diet,
If she is still struggling to chew, I suspect she may need a skull x-ray to assess her teeth and jaw properly.

Have you tried her with some leafy branches? My dental bunnies managed to pull leaves off when they were above their head. It was easier than picking them off the floor.
Willow leaves are relatively soft and easy to find. You could stick branches through the bars of her cage at different levels to see what works best.

What is her poo like?
What food was she on before you got her?

Update: so this morning I woke up and I decided to try and soak her food in water and she still just stuck her nose up at it but then I mixed it with her vitamins and she can't seem to get enough of it now?! Hopefully this is a good sign.
1cb93ef521757080e254bc508e139eaf.jpg

Update: I came home from school today and she was on the floor nearly completely limp. I made her comfy and layed down next to her stroking her and comforting her as she passed away. Thank you guys for all your help and support. The vet told us she had an infection and has been too weak and poorly since she was born to put on medicine and she should have died weeks ago. The whole thing really sucks and I really wish there was something I could have done better, but apparently it was pretty much out of my hands.[emoji17]
a6294b2d2bf5feea3ee16c183052b52d.jpg
83ede4cffbba147d616589402ca1d422.jpg
f1b2662e35b318516545f31e18f8cb16.jpg
cc31308babef7f98f32d7f66c8b29489.jpg

So sorry. Take comfort in knowing that you were fighting for her - others may not have gone so far for her.
RIP little bunny

Back