Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Dermal/Nodular Myxi

  1. #1
    Mama Doe Beatrix Potter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northamptonshire UK
    Posts
    2,354

    Default Dermal/Nodular Myxi

    Hi
    Has anyone had any experience of dermal/nodular myxi? Spudsey looks like she may have it I've tried looking for info but just keep finding myxi.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Beatrix Potter; 17-09-2019 at 03:23 PM.

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Above Ground ATM
    Posts
    140,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beatrix Potter View Post
    Hi
    Has anyone had any experience of dermal myxi? Spudsey looks like she may have it I've tried looking for info but just keep finding myxi.
    Thanks
    Do you mean internal Myxo 'lumps' ?

    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...=internal+myxi

    https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/art...al-myxomatosis


    Links to information about various health problems that can affect Rabbits :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems
    NB- If you think your Rabbit is unwell it is essential to seek immediate veterinary attention.

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    12,897

    Default

    No experience but I'm so sorry to hear lil Spudsey has another health issue to deal with Its just as well she is such a brave fighter. Lots of vibes xx

  4. #4
    Mama Doe Beatrix Potter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northamptonshire UK
    Posts
    2,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Hi Jane
    No I don't believe so, I haven't seen her yet as she's in boarding. The lady looking after her rang me on Saturday as the area around her eye had flared up, she took her straight to the vets and they couldn't see anything in her eye so prescribed drops. By Sunday it was worse so she saw Simon at the cat and rabbit clinic and he thought it was dermal myxi. So she's now on penicillin injections once a day again, and metacam doubled. I've got another appointment with him on Friday. Collecting Spudsey this evening.

  5. #5
    Mama Doe Beatrix Potter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northamptonshire UK
    Posts
    2,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    No experience but I'm so sorry to hear lil Spudsey has another health issue to deal with Its just as well she is such a brave fighter. Lots of vibes xx
    Thank you!!!! Yes despite her age (12!) she has got through two bouts of snuffles this year alone, just hope she can get through this too! i know I'm incredibly lucky to have had her so long, but I would rather she just went peacefully and not through some horrible illness. Guess thats what every pet owner wants isn't it?

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Above Ground ATM
    Posts
    140,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beatrix Potter View Post
    Hi Jane
    No I don't believe so, I haven't seen her yet as she's in boarding. The lady looking after her rang me on Saturday as the area around her eye had flared up, she took her straight to the vets and they couldn't see anything in her eye so prescribed drops. By Sunday it was worse so she saw Simon at the cat and rabbit clinic and he thought it was dermal myxi. So she's now on penicillin injections once a day again, and metacam doubled. I've got another appointment with him on Friday. Collecting Spudsey this evening.
    If she is fully up to date with her vaccinations then she has a fighting chance of making a full recovery. The nodules may take several weeks to resolve and any that appear on the eyelids or around the nose can be a bit problematic. But many, many Rabbits recover from Dermal Myxo as long as they are up to date with their vaccinations. It must be very worrying for you as you cant actually see her for yourself. But she is under the care of a very Rabbit Savvy Vet and hopely she will not get any more nodules appearing. The heavy duty abx cover will give her the best protection against secondary bacterial infection (pneumonia). It is secondary bacterial infection that is the cause of fatalities and this is much less likely to occur in a vaccinated Rabbit x


    Links to information about various health problems that can affect Rabbits :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems
    NB- If you think your Rabbit is unwell it is essential to seek immediate veterinary attention.

  7. #7
    Mama Doe Beatrix Potter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northamptonshire UK
    Posts
    2,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    If she is fully up to date with her vaccinations then she has a fighting chance of making a full recovery. The nodules may take several weeks to resolve and any that appear on the eyelids or around the nose can be a bit problematic. But many, many Rabbits recover from Dermal Myxo as long as they are up to date with their vaccinations. It must be very worrying for you as you cant actually see her for yourself. But she is under the care of a very Rabbit Savvy Vet and hopely she will not get any more nodules appearing. The heavy duty abx cover will give her the best protection against secondary bacterial infection (pneumonia). It is secondary bacterial infection that is the cause of fatalities and this is much less likely to occur in a vaccinated Rabbit x
    Hi Jane, yes fully up to date with her vaccinations. Yes under a very rabbit savvy vet, Simon is amazing it has to be said! I've actually registered one of my cats with him now as he's got some underlying issues, possibly digestive. thanks for being positive, ah the joys of owning pets (in particular old ones!)

  8. #8
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Above Ground ATM
    Posts
    140,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beatrix Potter View Post
    Hi Jane, yes fully up to date with her vaccinations. Yes under a very rabbit savvy vet, Simon is amazing it has to be said! I've actually registered one of my cats with him now as he's got some underlying issues, possibly digestive. thanks for being positive, ah the joys of owning pets (in particular old ones!)
    Quite, and I thought owning Pets was meant to help reduce our stress levels !!

    Hope that Simon can find out what's up with your cat and get him onto some treatment to help him feel better xx


    Links to information about various health problems that can affect Rabbits :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems
    NB- If you think your Rabbit is unwell it is essential to seek immediate veterinary attention.

  9. #9
    Mama Doe kattymieoww's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Glasgow/Scotland
    Posts
    3,990

    Default

    Sending vibes for your girl,hope she gets better.x

  10. #10
    Mama Doe Beatrix Potter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northamptonshire UK
    Posts
    2,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Quite, and I thought owning Pets was meant to help reduce our stress levels !!

    Hope that Simon can find out what's up with your cat and get him onto some treatment to help him feel better xx
    Ha Ha! Yes apparently!

    Cats are also in boarding but I haven't heard from them so hopefully Alfiecat has been ok, although I'm sure Simon can shed some light or at least come up with some suggestions as to what the issue is.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •