• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Desperately Need Help with a Trio of Siblings

LAV

New Kit
3 years ago I adopted a neutered, bonded trio of 1.5 yo brothers. I asked the shelter if there was anything I needed to know about multiples since I had only ever had single rabbits. I was assured that I would be fine.

1 month after we adopted them they had their first fight. Two seemed to be fighting over the multiple levels in the pen that we had for them. The shelter gave us some pretty strong stress bonding techniques and we removed the levels. They were fine for about 6 months. After the second fight the shelter took the boys for a few days so we could decompress and revamp their pen.

The 6 month fighting cycle still continued though until last year when the fight resulted in 6 stitches. Someone recommended gentle bonding so we tried that. The boys were perfect all year! Even the 2 fighters seemed to be best buds. We really thought we had it figured out. Last week, out of the blue, they fought again and one needed a gash on his shoulder glued. A couple days later I tried putting them in a carrier on a chair so I could clean their pen. They went at it again. [emoji22]

Now I'm a mess and don't think I'll ever be able to trust the 2 together again, but also don't know what's best for them. I have their pen divided in thirds and they're getting 2-1 exercise time. The 3rd bun likes both fighters and the fighters seem stressed when they're alone. Should I try to bond again? If not how should I separate them out? Would someone with more experience be able to keep them together better? I'm willing to do whatever is best for them I just have no idea what that is. Any help would be so appreciated!

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sorry, yes. Shelter neutered them at 6 months and have had the vets feel to recheck, because after the first fight it was horrible. Spraying, humping, etc.

Also should probably say they were about 1.5 years old when I got them, so they are a bout 4.5 years old now.

Last edited:
1. I would be inclined to get the 2 who fight a full MOT at the vet. There may be a medical issue with one - making him either a target or more aggressive, depending which one / what the issue is. It's not uncommon for the one being picked on to be hiding some health issue.

2. I would probably separate them now. Not sure which I would take out of the trio - either the aggressor or the victim. It would depend on the stability of the remaining pairing. Then look at getting a neutered girlfriend for the singleton. Aim for 2 pairs. Worst case scenario is you end up juggling them round a bit and end up with a different trio (2 boys and a girl) and a single boy.

1. I would be inclined to get the 2 who fight a full MOT at the vet. There may be a medical issue with one - making him either a target or more aggressive, depending which one / what the issue is. It's not uncommon for the one being picked on to be hiding some health issue.

2. I would probably separate them now. Not sure which I would take out of the trio - either the aggressor or the victim. It would depend on the stability of the remaining pairing. Then look at getting a neutered girlfriend for the singleton. Aim for 2 pairs. Worst case scenario is you end up juggling them round a bit and end up with a different trio (2 boys and a girl) and a single boy.

I agree with this :thumb:

Thank you both. I will definitely think about it all.

They get yearly check ups and the last 2 fights they were checked out pretty well. They have their yearly in 2 weeks so I'll see if the vet has any other theories health wise.

It definitely seems calendar based. The Aug/Sep fights were all the same week 3 years in a row! The other 2 fights were Jan/Feb 1 year apart. It's sad because it almost seems like they get happier, more energetic, and with me, more sociable and then a fight breaks out. This last time they were all cuddling moments before.

After the trouble with the 3, 4 sounds insurmountable, because really worst case scenario is I have 4 singles and I have a tiny house!

Personality wise there doesn't seem to be a consistent aggressor/victim situation (although I haven't been there for the start of all of them). The "alpha" is a little oafish and will play chase or startle the other and that one's reaction is to attack. So the one instigating is the one most injured and they don't stop once they start. Part of me is afraid to put the non alpha with anyone because of how hard he fights.

Thanks again for the input! In other groups I'm getting sympathy, but no real input or ideas.

Last edited:
Back