• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding a Trio

Unfortunately, my bunny Finn passed away in June due a stomach disorder. I have since got a new bunny Mylo who will be neauted in October and bonded with my female Myrtle.

I have however recently thought about how nice it would be to have a Trio and since my two are not bonded yet it could be a good opportunity. However my only problem with this is that I only have one spear Create which is temporarily housing Mylo. I have been told that it would be easier to bond all three bunnies together at the same time, rather then bond the two I have and then risk breaking the bond by introducing a 3rd.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions regarding my issue above. Would it be possible to introduce a 3rd to an already established couple? Maybe a rescue could hold a bunny for me and then i take my two there and they get bonded there? Or maybe I take a retired show rabbit and go to a bonding service? My problem is just that I don't have a spear cage for a 3rd solo bunny or the space for a 3rd good sized cage. Once all 3 are bonded I will be getting a new pen from pet manor.

It is possible to introduce a third rabbit to a bonded pair, but as you've already been advised, it would probably have more chance of success if all three were introduced at the same time.

I think your idea of getting a rescue to reserve a rabbit, who has already been neutered, and you take your two along to let the rescue attempt to bond them would work well. If you did this, it would be better if you had kept your two apart beforehand. Many rescues will be happy to do the bonding under these circumstances as long as the rabbits are up to date with their vaccinations.

I hope that it all works out well for you :)

It is possible to introduce a third rabbit to a bonded pair, but as you've already been advised, it would probably have more chance of success if all three were introduced at the same time.

I think your idea of getting a rescue to reserve a rabbit, who has already been neutered, and you take your two along to let the rescue attempt to bond them would work well. If you did this, it would be better if you had kept your two apart beforehand. Many rescues will be happy to do the bonding under these circumstances as long as the rabbits are up to date with their vaccinations.

I hope that it all works out well for you :)

The 2 buns I have are not yet bonded so I will be bonding 3 singles :)

The issue I am having is that rescues are declining to help as they do not think it's a good idea and do not have time, meaning I have to turn to free ads, and I am not seeing many spayed females. It's actually shocking the amount of people not neutering their buns.

I have found 1 potential bunny, with a very nice owner. He is neutered and 4 years old. Can 2 males (neutered) and a female work?

Thanks

I loved having a trio, it was hard work getting there though - mine was a m+F pair & I added in a submissive girl. I get why rescues might be hesitant to help, namely because it is (or can be) ridiculously time consuming . I'm sorry you haven't had many replies on here - I think many people feel out of their depth with these kind of bonding queries. Essentially I think most combos have the potential to work but how likely is anybodys guess. Throw in to the mix that rabbits are notoriously unpredictable.

good luck

I've replied to your PM, but have given a different view from what's been posted here (accidentally, as I hadn't looked at this thread before replying). Hopefully it has been helpful in some way though.

Back