• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abscess worry

Salann

New Kit
My 2 year old rabbit was spayed last year, but over the last few months, I noticed a small lump under the skin, near her incision line. I decided to monitor it, but it seemed to grow, so took her to the vets last week. He said that it was an abscess from the suture material used and it sometimes happens in rabbits and that I needn’t worry, but I am concerned, as I am sure it has grown a little more, it’s about the size of a large pea and worried it might burst, or be obstructing things internally. Has anyone had anything similar?

My 2 year old rabbit was spayed last year, but over the last few months, I noticed a small lump under the skin, near her incision line. I decided to monitor it, but it seemed to grow, so took her to the vets last week. He said that it was an abscess from the suture material used and it sometimes happens in rabbits and that I needn’t worry, but I am concerned, as I am sure it has grown a little more, it’s about the size of a large pea and worried it might burst, or be obstructing things internally. Has anyone had anything similar?

Hello

Reactions to the material used for suturing after a spay can cause some local inflammatory reaction, the surrounding tissue granulates and the area can feel a bit 'lumpy'. But if the lump you can feel is actually getting bigger then that may be indicative of an infection which needs treatment. I am struggling to understand why the Vet diagnosed an abscess -ie active bacterial infection- and then just sent you on your way with no treatment options :?

How Rabbit Savvy is your Vet ? Small animal Veterinary practices may be great with Cats and Dogs, but sadly they may have minimal expertise regarding Rabbits. Personally I would seek a second opinion from a Rabbit Savvy Vet. You may be able to locate one near you via this link

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

Is your Doe's poo output normal ? No very small poo or episodes of reduced gut motility ? Post spay adhesions are another possible complication and signs of this include episodes of gut stasis- reduced poo output and reduced appetite.

https://veteriankey.com/post-spay-complications-in-a-rabbit/

Thankyou for replying.
Well I heard they were supposed to be rabbit savvy, I did some research before she was neutered and on the website it said they had a special interest in rabbits. But they are not on the list you forwarded me.
No he didn’t really say a lot just it was an abscess and he could remove it if I wanted, but it’s not necessary and that she will be fine, as it’s quite common for rabbits to have this reaction.
Do you think she should have it removed? He didn’t mention antibiotics, although I probably would have been a bit scared of her having them, with rabbits guts been like they are.
Funny you should ask about her poo, she has started not eating as much and smaller poos. I asked the vet if it could effect her bowels (the lump) and he just said no.

Thankyou for replying.
Well I heard they were supposed to be rabbit savvy, I did some research before she was neutered and on the website it said they had a special interest in rabbits. But they are not on the list you forwarded me.
No he didn’t really say a lot just it was an abscess and he could remove it if I wanted, but it’s not necessary and that she will be fine, as it’s quite common for rabbits to have this reaction.
Do you think she should have it removed? He didn’t mention antibiotics, although I probably would have been a bit scared of her having them, with rabbits guts been like they are.
Funny you should ask about her poo, she has started not eating as much and smaller poos. I asked the vet if it could effect her bowels (the lump) and he just said no.

Personally I would seek a second opinion from another (more Rabbit Savvy) Vet ASAP. I would not be at all happy with accepting the 'advice' of your current Vet.

Personally I would seek a second opinion from another (more Rabbit Savvy) Vet ASAP. I would not be at all happy with accepting the 'advice' of your current Vet.
I agree, one of my female buns had a lump come up 2 weeks after her spay, and the vet drained it a few times and then it went.. But the fact this has come up so much later (after surgery) and your buns now not eating as much and the poop output isn't great, she could be in discomfort or something.

I'd definitely get a second opinion from someone rabbit savvy, if you post your rough location and looking for rabbit savvy vet in "rabbit chat" members might be able to suggest someone (not all are on the list Jane posted - just incase none of them are near by you)

I hope you can get to the bottom of what the lump is x

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Yes it’s really worrying me and it does seem to be growing. Thankyou, I will ask for a rabbit savvy vet in the chat forum.

Back