• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Woodlice, slugs and other garden critters (advice please)

xlaurax

Mama Doe
Hi everyone

We just moved house and my bunnies are outdoor.

They've settled in a treat but I have some concerns about the local critters. There have always been one or two fairly large spiders in the hutch and as much as they scare me, I know they dont bother the bunnies AND they keep the flies under control.

However, I've recently seen slug trails in the hutch AND an obscene amount of woodlice in the new garden. The woodlice are really attracted to the hutch.

My plan is to fettle the hutch this weekend and make sure it's completely dry but other than that I'm at a loss.

Are there any safe insect powders / repellents out there? I want to keep these beasties away from my little buns!

Thanks guys x

Hi everyone

We just moved house and my bunnies are outdoor.

They've settled in a treat but I have some concerns about the local critters. There have always been one or two fairly large spiders in the hutch and as much as they scare me, I know they dont bother the bunnies AND they keep the flies under control.

However, I've recently seen slug trails in the hutch AND an obscene amount of woodlice in the new garden. The woodlice are really attracted to the hutch.

My plan is to fettle the hutch this weekend and make sure it's completely dry but other than that I'm at a loss.

Are there any safe insect powders / repellents out there? I want to keep these beasties away from my little buns!

Thanks guys x

I do not think that any of these insects will hurt your rabbits in any way. If slugs are being attracted to enter the hutch, I would imagine there are traces of uneaten food in there. Personally I would just give the hutch a really good clean and make sure that it is dry. Wild rabbits will live quite happily alongside insects.

Yeah, I agree with what Omi said

Better to prevent slugs and woodlice from being attracted to the hutch rather than to...kill them for existing, basically.

Not to be harsh but the go to method of deterring insects, slugs, etc shouldn't be to poison them (unless you mean a powder that just keeps them away - but I don't know if there are any). IMO all lives are worth saving, even if it means you have to go to a little extra effort yourself. Although, really rabbits shouldn't be fed more veg/pellets than they will eat in a short period of time anyways - I'm guessing the slugs and woodlice are attracted to uneaten food.

Insects are declining at an alarming rate and we need them - they're critical to the survival of the planet. I love them and don't think they get enough recognition for their importance and uniqueness. I have pet woodlice and slugs and they're awesome. :)

Yeah, I agree with what Omi said

Better to prevent slugs and woodlice from being attracted to the hutch rather than to...kill them for existing, basically.

Not to be harsh but the go to method of deterring insects, slugs, etc shouldn't be to poison them (unless you mean a powder that just keeps them away - but I don't know if there are any). IMO all lives are worth saving, even if it means you have to go to a little extra effort yourself. Although, really rabbits shouldn't be fed more veg/pellets than they will eat in a short period of time anyways - I'm guessing the slugs and woodlice are attracted to uneaten food.

Insects are declining at an alarming rate and we need them - they're critical to the survival of the planet. I love them and don't think they get enough recognition for their importance and uniqueness. I have pet woodlice and slugs and they're awesome. :)

Absolutely 100% :thumb:

They won't harm your rabbits, but pesticides probably will. The best way of persuading the little beasties to not be there is to remove any hiding places - so have a good tidy up and sweep round the general area to remove any debris and shelter that they are using. Rotting wood, leaves, old plant pots, etc that are undisturbed are prime areas to find these beasties. Remove the places they are comfortable in, and they will move on of their own accord before something else eats them.

I am in agreement with everyone else. The slugs are possibly after any remaining food so make sure bunnies eat everything up quickly.

Thanks guys. I think the slugs were going for the uneaten dandelion leaves (the rabbits had spent a full day on the grass so I think they were full!)

I had read somewhere that slug trails were really harmful for rabbits so I was a bit worried about that.

The plan is to scrub the hutch out this weekend and really clean it (other than the spider's web! he needs to stay lol)

I don't think I'll ever get rid of the woodlice without remodeling the garden... the areas of grass are split up with old railway sleepers which look great but obviously when they're damp the woodlice go crazy for them!!

Back