• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buns not so in love?

Help1234

Young Bun
Hi everyone, hoping to pick your brains a little, or tell me to stop being daft!

Our buns have been happily bonded since May, two little Nethie brothers with possibly a dash of wild thrown in (so pretty active, curious and playful buns!!) Once bonded, they were super cuddly and always together.

In mid August they had a fight, we’re not too sure why, we think maybe because they’d had more space than they’re used to (the whole flat rather than just the living room) and they’d started to get territorial. We basically had to re-bond them - small space, close supervision, slowly extended etc (lucky we’re both teachers so we’re off!!!)

Since then they haven’t been nearly so cuddly with each other. They sit together and groom each other, but occasionally there is a teeny tiny chase and a bit of fur pulling. They’ve not fought...they just don’t seem so in love as before 😔. Will they go back to being love buns do you think? Or is their relationship damaged for good?

Thanks for any input xx

Hi everyone, hoping to pick your brains a little, or tell me to stop being daft!

Our buns have been happily bonded since May, two little Nethie brothers with possibly a dash of wild thrown in (so pretty active, curious and playful buns!!) Once bonded, they were super cuddly and always together.

In mid August they had a fight, we’re not too sure why, we think maybe because they’d had more space than they’re used to (the whole flat rather than just the living room) and they’d started to get territorial. We basically had to re-bond them - small space, close supervision, slowly extended etc (lucky we’re both teachers so we’re off!!!)

Since then they haven’t been nearly so cuddly with each other. They sit together and groom each other, but occasionally there is a teeny tiny chase and a bit of fur pulling. They’ve not fought...they just don’t seem so in love as before 😔. Will they go back to being love buns do you think? Or is their relationship damaged for good?

Thanks for any input xx
dear help1234,-it is good you supervise their togetherness,--regardless what we want-,it is what they think--,could be playing.??,territorial,etc.-or if it escalates,then injuries could follow.-keep the timothy bin full,quality pellets,water bowls full,and some treats,with lots of chew toys,wood,paper,cardboard,.--make for happy healthy bunz.-sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

Persoanlly I can fully understand your concerns - they are very genuine. It shows you care deeply and know your rabbits behaviour.
My two (male and female affectionally known on here as 'Hillian' - Lillian and Henry) have been bonded for over 18 months now. They are inseperable as a pair - Lillian relies heavily on Henry for emotional support and she is top girl. But, as you described, they occasionally have a little tiff although with mine there's no fistycuffs. Henry will chase Lillian and try to mount, then the tables get turned as they did the other day and Lillian chases Henry and will mount him. It's about exerting the dominance which is important in rabbit heirachy. From what you describe, part of the bahaviour could be about exerting this dominance and so if it is, this is normal - but it is also scary.
Make sure that they are not drawing blood or tearing chunks out of each other and as you described, you seem to have rebonded them with some success so as long as you continue to monitor then this should be ok. They should become close again - it may just take some time.
Are they neutered?

Thank you for your advice, they are neutered and very spoilt. They have a whole card box box ‘casa de bun’ empire that we switch up regularly to make new tunnels etc. So they’re not short of enrichment.

They’ve made me a bit of a fool as they actually spent lots of last night cuddling up to each other 🙈😂. So hopefully you’re right,..just a little tiff!

Back