• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gemini Dental 9/10/19 U/D 9/13/19

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
Hello RU friends,
Gemini has been eating less and less hay for over a month. It was only the last couple weeks that I noticed he lost a small amount of weight. I suspect he needs another dental, yet I was reluctant to schedule one until absolutely necessary because he became very ill with a head tilt/ear infection after his last dental/GA. Once his head tilt/infection was done he was eating so much he was actually at his highest weight since I adopted him when his slow down of hay eating happened. His gut was moving fine, though now he is also shedding a lot too.
Tomorrow he is having a dental and I am hoping he will do well with the GA and the stress will not compromise his immune system too much.
He is such a good bunny and he is so loved by myself and my spouse. My spouse gave him to me as my anniversary present four years ago (Gemini was 2 at the time) and I can honestly say he was the best present ever. He is such a friendly and easy going bunny.
Today I stocked up on greens.
Please send us some positive vibes that Gemini does well with the anesthesia and procedure so he can come home and get spoiled.

Last edited:
Zoobec and Jane,

The vibes are working. He had his dental and did well with his anesthesia. He also had a 'spa day' to clip fur around his butt, to remove old/shed fur that was still on his fuzzy feet, to clip nails, and to clean the scent glands near his private parts.. He also got a couple X-rays to see if he had arthritis because of his lack of grooming his rear. He does not have arthritis, yet they did find one of his scent grands was impacted and irritated.
He is retaining his weight well.
He had a big day, so even though he looks bright; he is not wanting to eat. He got pain meds at home and he got some fresh greens (carrot greens and dandelion greens), pellets, and two types of hay. I am prepared to syringe feed him some critical care later too keep his GI tract moving, if necessary.
He is such a good bunny. The vet said Gemini was an excellent patient.
Gemini and I would appreciate a few more positive vibes.

What a hectic day he had. I hope he will have started nibbling some food by now and that he will have some 'output'. Sending lots more vibes for him :love:

That sounds like a productive day! I hope he’s soon eating and feeling better. Sending lots more vibes xx

Hello Jane, Zoobec, Katymioww, and Olices,

Thank you for the vibes.
Gemini did not poo last night, plus he was not drinking and felt a bit dehydrated; so around midnight I gave him critical care and fluids. He also got a little more Medicam. He did pass one small poo by 2am, so I felt he would pass more by morning. My spouse woke me before going to work to tell me Gemini passed a huge pile of messy, smelly poos. Gemini also passed some round poos that were very small. Later in the morning Gemini got some more critical care and he was nibbling some greens. He is now passing more poos, though they are still not the normal size nor quantity. He has also peed (some of it on me).
He is still hesitant to eat much hay or pellets on his own, yet I saw him nibbling the seed heads from his timothy hay earlier today.
I am hoping he will slowly return to eating normally now that his dental and other issues have been addressed.

Hello RU friends,

After his dental on Tuesday, Gemini is still recovering and slowly returning to normal. He is still not eating his normal quantity, so after skipping the Critical Care on Thursday, I decided to give him some Friday to get things moving a bit quicker. He is shedding and I do not want to take any chances of his system slowing down.
Gemini is such a good boy and he is looking brighter. He was nibbling some hay, yet he is still not eating his hay.

Last edited:
I hope now he is feeling better that he will be back to normal eating and pooping, topping up the vibes and hugs xx

Back