• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

EC

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Does anybun have fHB's lecture notes on EC ....& if they do would they be happy to share with me.

I've recently found the exercise book containing my very brief, scribbled notes & I want to know more . I'm also annoyed I never remember this stuff.

I found this interesting:

Frances said she had never seen a rabbit who has kidney stones & not EC, they always see both conditions together.

She also believes EC can cause heart & respiratory probs

Apparently head tilt is only one manifestation, cerebral disease can cause suppressed mentation, so a bunny can be conscious but inactive & unresponsive to their environment

And then I've written v unhelpful notes! a rabbit walking rather than hopping is a bad sign. Is this all bunnies who walk or just EC ones that it is bad ? I'd love to know how they are connected too.

And then I've written "Clear urine" but nothing about it. Rudey does massive clear wee's & they worry me

I hope it's not always connected - Dennis is a walker

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Mine have walked before mainly when they're really unsure about a new environment.. Once they're happy they hop.. It's weird [emoji38]

Atticus does huge clear wees too [emoji51][emoji51]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Do you mean the PDF when you want FHB notes, or the notes the diligent students made? I have the former but not the latter as I wasn't able to listen and scribe.

Re clear wee. It was how she decided Artie was in kidney failure:cry::cry: I guess it doesn't always mean this it was just the extra bit of evidence in his case. Calcium is supposed to be secreted out with the urine but when kidney function is so poor calcium goes to various parts of the body eg overly dense bones and aorta, heart muscle etc.

I wish I could relive those lecture day, it was such a good era.

PS - it is of course Frances's intention to put it all on the website some day but I think she may be embracing retirement somewhat more than anticipated!

She also believes EC can cause heart & respiratory probs

Apparently head tilt is only one manifestation

This is very interesting to me. I have one of my bunnies with some form of serious chest rattle at the moment, he has a multitude of health issues but is up and down, so whilst there is clearly something underlying, we can’t find a tumour or similar, and suspect it can’t be this because sometimes he can be ‘well’ (ish) for a period of time. My vet mentioned EC the other day, despite him having none of the typical symptoms. Hmm.

Its such a scary subject - I think its positive we're discussing it though - even if it just prompts more discussions about EC.

Bunnybuddy - yes please could I get a copy of the PDF.

I'm worried for Rudey. He doesn't have the old bunny appearance which is a positive I guess, his eyes are bright & his coat is shiny. But the wee has always worried me & he is a little underweight.

I would be interested in seeing any of FHB's observations/thoughts on this. My vet has always suspected that the 4 Rexes had (in Tethra's case have) inconclusive signs of EC.

Are Rudey's wees always clear, irrespective of what he's been eating?

I would be interested in seeing any of FHB's observations/thoughts on this. My vet has always suspected that the 4 Rexes had (in Tethra's case have) inconclusive signs of EC.

Are Rudey's wees always clear, irrespective of what he's been eating?

yes. He drinks loads & does big clear wee's regardless. All the others wee is hugely variable. I'll get him looked at again

thanks for the links JJ. He had a decent health check at Crab Lane a couple of weeks ago. He hasnt had any diagnostics yet.

I'll have a read. I don't know much (anything) about rabbit diabetes but thought it was rare?

Oh my - I'm far too stupid to understand article one & two other than they drink lots & the gravity is different. Is there a simpleton version?
Can it be treated in bunnies? What are other symptoms (sorry JJ, not necessarily firing all the questions at just you)

I'd like to be armed with all sorts of things to consider for his next review so thanks for the contribution. Theres nowt worse than getting back from the vets then thinking of questions

thanks for the links JJ. He had a decent health check at Crab Lane a couple of weeks ago. He hasnt had any diagnostics yet.

I'll have a read. I don't know much (anything) about rabbit diabetes but thought it was rare?

Diabetes Insipidus is very different from Diabetes Mellitus. I have only had one Bunny diagnosed with DI over the last 20 years

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...s-Insipidus&highlight=jake+diabetes+insipidus

Jake was treated in the same way that a Dog with the condition would be

https://www.msdvetmanual.com/endocrine-system/the-pituitary-gland/diabetes-insipidus-in-animals

Diabetes Insipidus is very different from Diabetes Mellitus. I have only had one Bunny diagnosed with DI over the last 20 years

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...s-Insipidus&highlight=jake+diabetes+insipidus

https://www.msdvetmanual.com/endocrine-system/the-pituitary-gland/diabetes-insipidus-in-animals

Thanks Jane. So I'm guessing the more common one you could regulate through a forage & hay diet but the one Jake had needs drugs like a type 1 diabetic would ?

For some reason my phone won't let me open your old thread I can just read the first little bit, will look later, but was his high water consumption the only thing you first noticed? Because Atticus drinks around 800ml per day sometimes, sometimes less, sometimes more, he drinks more than any of the others and he's why I didn't notice Clementine had stopped drinking when they were together [emoji51][emoji51] because I assumed that was way too much for only him to be drinking [emoji51] now they're separate it's super obvious

For some reason my phone won't let me open your old thread I can just read the first little bit, will look later, but was his high water consumption the only thing you first noticed? Because Atticus drinks around 800ml per day sometimes, sometimes less, sometimes more, he drinks more than any of the others and he's why I didn't notice Clementine had stopped drinking when they were together [emoji51][emoji51] because I assumed that was way too much for only him to be drinking [emoji51] now they're separate it's super obvious

Yes, it was his huge water consumption and consequently very dilute and prolific urine output that first alerted me to a potential problem.

Back