• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Zantac antacid syrup?

Toasty123

Warren Scout
Hi all ye bunny lovers :wave:, i'm new here and this is the first thread i'm posting. I have a question about this zantac syrup that the vet prescribed. My nearly 6 year old netherland dwarf bunny (0.93 kg) recently caught the nasty parasite known as e.cuniculi :(. Fortuantly with the help of panacur has almost recovered fully by the looks of it at the moment, which i'm so happy about :D. Everything was going well until I brought him back to the vet for a checkup and he said he couldn't hear any sounds coming from my bunny's gut (which he checked with the stethoscope). So he prescribed the zantac antacid syrup for gut mobility, 0.15ml three times daily and said to put him on some probiotics to help with the gut as well. Now my question is... Was the vet right to prescribe this medication? as my bunny was still pooping fine before except for the occasional mushy cecotropes I would find every morning in his cage. So as ordered I gave him the zantac 3 times daily for 4 days but then only gave it to him once on the 5th day because I was concerned about the medication causing any harm to his body. I have noticed that some of his droppings are small. I am giving him Fibreplex as well though just have to be giving it to him 3 times as usually i only give it to him twice a day because i forget then am not sure how many hours apart each dose has to be? I brought him back to the vet for a follow up but this time it was with another vet and he asked me if the poop was firm which i said yes too (but really there was no issue with his poo not being firm in the first place). The vet checked to see if his gut was moving and to my relief it was, then he asked me if there was any more of the zantac left and then advised me to give it to him twice daily till it finished (there is around 4 days worth of it left i think). At this moment of time I'm just a bit paranoid and concerned about giving him zantac if he really doesn't need it in the first place. I also read on one of these threads that 'zantac reduces acidity of the stomach and usually when a bunny's GI is in distress it needs to be made more acidic, not less'. It's been 2 days since i haven't given him any and his poops still look firm just seen some cecotropes in his cage this morning that he hasn't eaten. Other than that he has been still eating his pellets and hay and drinking water as normal just today i've noticed he's produced more cecotropes than normal. (He cant eat them straight from his behind anymore due to his arthritis which he is on metacam (dog) for long term. He's also been drinking alot of water and urinating alot especially since he got caught e.cuniculi, but it also could be because he has spurs in his mouth which I recntly found out from the vet as well, but he told me if he were to stop eating or lose weight then to consider it as there is a risk involved with putting rabbits under anesthesia unfortuantly :cry:, so that is my last resort for now, as he has just gotten so much better and so I can't think of the thought of losing him now :(. Anyway sorry kind of got off topic there, but yes referring back to my initial question and if you made it to the end of this very lenghty post (sorry in advance :shock:) do you think I should still give him the zantac & will there be any harm giving it to him again as I have not given it for 2 days now? Any advice would be appreciated thank you :love:.

Hi all ye bunny lovers :wave:, i'm new here and this is the first thread i'm posting. I have a question about this zantac syrup that the vet prescribed. My nearly 6 year old netherland dwarf bunny (0.93 kg) recently caught the nasty parasite known as e.cuniculi :(. Fortuantly with the help of panacur has almost recovered fully by the looks of it at the moment, which i'm so happy about :D. Everything was going well until I brought him back to the vet for a checkup and he said he couldn't hear any sounds coming from my bunny's gut (which he checked with the stethoscope). So he prescribed the zantac antacid syrup for gut mobility, 0.15ml three times daily and said to put him on some probiotics to help with the gut as well. Now my question is... Was the vet right to prescribe this medication? as my bunny was still pooping fine before except for the occasional mushy cecotropes I would find every morning in his cage. So as ordered I gave him the zantac 3 times daily for 4 days but then only gave it to him once on the 5th day because I was concerned about the medication causing any harm to his body. I have noticed that some of his droppings are small. I am giving him Fibreplex as well though just have to be giving it to him 3 times as usually i only give it to him twice a day because i forget then am not sure how many hours apart each dose has to be? I brought him back to the vet for a follow up but this time it was with another vet and he asked me if the poop was firm which i said yes too (but really there was no issue with his poo not being firm in the first place). The vet checked to see if his gut was moving and to my relief it was, then he asked me if there was any more of the zantac left and then advised me to give it to him twice daily till it finished (there is around 4 days worth of it left i think). At this moment of time I'm just a bit paranoid and concerned about giving him zantac if he really doesn't need it in the first place. I also read on one of these threads that 'zantac reduces acidity of the stomach and usually when a bunny's GI is in distress it needs to be made more acidic, not less'. It's been 2 days since i haven't given him any and his poops still look firm just seen some cecotropes in his cage this morning that he hasn't eaten. Other than that he has been still eating his pellets and hay and drinking water as normal just today i've noticed he's produced more cecotropes than normal. (He cant eat them straight from his behind anymore due to his arthritis which he is on metacam (dog) for long term. He's also been drinking alot of water and urinating alot especially since he got caught e.cuniculi, but it also could be because he has spurs in his mouth which I recntly found out from the vet as well, but he told me if he were to stop eating or lose weight then to consider it as there is a risk involved with putting rabbits under anesthesia unfortuantly :cry:, so that is my last resort for now, as he has just gotten so much better and so I can't think of the thought of losing him now :(. Anyway sorry kind of got off topic there, but yes referring back to my initial question and if you made it to the end of this very lenghty post (sorry in advance :shock:) do you think I should still give him the zantac & will there be any harm giving it to him again as I have not given it for 2 days now? Any advice would be appreciated thank you :love:.

Personally I would follow the Vet's advice and continue with the Zantac (AKA Ranitidine). Not only does the medication reduce the acidity of the stomach but it also has prokinetic effects on the hind gut (keeps the lower GI tract moving) Given that your Rabbit is also on a daily non steroidal anti inflammatory (Metacam) the Zantac will also be helpful in protecting the GI tract from ulceration ( a possible side effect of long term use of NSAIDs such as Metacam)

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Ranitidine.htm

Thanks for your quick reply! :D. I feel safer giving it to him now. Do you think it's still okay to continue with it even though it's been 2 days since i've last given it :?, like will it have any side effects? Also would you know any thing about Fibreplex like how many hours apart should each dose be?

Thanks for your quick reply! :D. I feel safer giving it to him now. Do you think it's still okay to continue with it even though it's been 2 days since i've last given it :?, like will it have any side effects? Also would you know any thing about Fibreplex like how many hours apart should each dose be?

If the Vet advised you to give the Zantac then there should be no problem with re-starting it.

This link gives information about how often to administer Fibreplex, click on 'directions for use'

https://www.protexin.com/products/fibreplex-for-rabbits/26

Back