• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping shed warm in winter??

Hollip0p

New Kit
Hi all,

We moved our two house bunnies into a shed back in May. I’ve been really happy with the set up so far and there’s a noticeable difference in the two of them - they are clearly much happier having access to the garden which has come as a huge surprise because when we used to stick them out in a run for a couple of hours they hated it and hid in the corner until we took pity and brought them back inside!

Anyway, as happy as I’ve been, I’m now worrying about how they will cope with the colder weather. The shed walls are insulated and there is laminate flooring down with underlay. There are two small air vents in the shed (https://www.screwfix.com/p/map-vent...MIhoTI7KC-5AIVCbrtCh3rDg_EEAQYASABEgJa1PD_BwE) and we usually leave the door open so they have free access to a run. The door is always shut and locked overnight, when they are confined to the shed itself.

When the weather turns, would you recommend me leaving the shed door shut with no outside access and to keep the shed warm? That seems like the only way to keep them toasty but also seems like a depressing way for them to live!

Do people use heat lamps in their shed set ups? Is that safe?

Am I just worrying unnecessarily and their coats will give them all the warmth they need?

Any tips are greatly appreciated because I know as soon as we have a cold day I’m going to be worried sick and checking on them every 5 minutes!

Thanks

My general rule is that if the bowl of drinking water is frost-free, it is warm enough for a normal, healthy pair of rabbits, as long as it is dry and draught-free, and with access to a bedding area off the ground which is stuffed with hay so they have somewhere cosy. I also add extra hay to their litter trays so there is more insulation in their 'sitting' areas. In extreme cold, they get Snugglesafe heatpads as well - usually doubled up, wrapped in a couple of sheets of newspaper (to keep them clean) and placed under the bedding hay. They do make a difference and last the whole night. You can also use one under a water bowl.

The best source of heat for a bunny during winter is another bunny.

I agree with Shimmer. Rabbits cope very well with the cold, they grow lovely thick coats. They will feel lovely and cosy in a shed but even in a hutch, with a cover, they are ok. I am so glad your bunnies are happy with their set-up, they don't usually like being put in a run so they are quite normal in that respect.

My four shed rabbits have a well insulated shed and I put a small oil filled heater in there during the coldest months. I leave it on 24/7. It is up high as is the socket so no chance of them chomping the cable!

Thanks everyone. So if the water bowl is frost free should I leave their access to the outside during the day for them to make their own choice? And just shut up shop overnight as we do now anyway?

Thanks everyone. So if the water bowl is frost free should I leave their access to the outside during the day for them to make their own choice? And just shut up shop overnight as we do now anyway?

I would. If they’ve got access to run around the garden, then that’ll keep them warm too!

Mine have access to outdoors through a small cat flap sized hole all year round, 24/7

They are often outside even when it is verrrrry cold.

My general rule is that if the bowl of drinking water is frost-free, it is warm enough for a normal, healthy pair of rabbits, as long as it is dry and draught-free, and with access to a bedding area off the ground which is stuffed with hay so they have somewhere cosy. I also add extra hay to their litter trays so there is more insulation in their 'sitting' areas. In extreme cold, they get Snugglesafe heatpads as well - usually doubled up, wrapped in a couple of sheets of newspaper (to keep them clean) and placed under the bedding hay. They do make a difference and last the whole night. You can also use one under a water bowl.

The best source of heat for a bunny during winter is another bunny.

great advice. i agree completely.
if you are worried, as Tulsi says, possibly put an oil filled radiator in there with it set on the frost setting.

ime they like the cold (obv not massively cold. down to about -5 deg C is fine). i think the wet is worse. a draught free insulated shed should be fine with plenty of hay for bedding. if it has a concrete floor (or similar) maybe a bit of carpet for them to sit on - slightly off the ground if possible :D

the above is for active buns, not ill or very old buns

oh, btw, i give mine slightly more pellets in the cold weather - because of the cold & the fact that they are locked in the shed during hrs of darkness so have less munching time outdoors.

NgATN0w.jpg

TPddKlp.jpg

Last edited:
Back