Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 62

Thread: Sulfatrim dose / rabbit gone off food

  1. #1

    Default Sulfatrim dose / rabbit gone off food

    Hi

    Fifi has been prescribed Sulfatrim to try and tackle her pseudomonas ear infection.
    I've been instructed to give 0.46ml twice daily, and she's had 3 doses now.

    This morning I've gone to check on her and she hasn't finished her tea time pellets and is disinterested in her morning fresh pellets. I've offered some herbs and she's eating those.

    Not sure if anyone will remember my post the other week but we've literally just got through the other side of pretty bad stasis, with her only just starting to drink water more normally around Monday. I brought her home from boarders thurs (holiday) and she's gone off drinking again at home so I'd put a little water on her pellets last night. The ones I offered this morning were dry again.

    Does anyone know if Sulfatrim can cause a loss of appetite/nausea in rabbits? I've had a Google but I can only see regurgitation in birds and nausea in humans.

    I'm really scared of triggering stasis again and wondering if I should completely hold off on the antibiotic for now until she's eating and drinking normally again - but being an antibiotic will that have an adverse effect on treating the pseudomonas; will it increase resistance?

    I am going to try and speak to the vet that prescribed it today, once they open in a few hours, but she was recommended the antibiotic by another specialist in the country as she's spent over a week ringing round to find an antibiotic to treat this infection - therefore I'm wondering if someone here would have more first hand knowledge of it and any side effects.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Mama Doe bunny momma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,582

    Default

    At this point are you sure that it is the sulfatrim that is causing her to not eat and not the ear infection getting worse until the Sulfatrim has time to do its job.? Not drinking will cause stasis to be worse so you may want to ask you vet about using getting some fluids to give sub Q unless you can use an oral syringe to get extra fluids in her orally.

    I used Sulfatrim to treat an ear infection with my bunny and it was effective.
    Sending you and Fifi some positive vibes.

  3. #3

    Default

    Hey

    I'm pretty confident it's not due to the ear infection - she had no issues with appetite etc with it until she had an ear flush to clean the affected ear and then the general anaesthetic triggered stasis. It took about 3 weeks to diagnose the ear infection pre-flush, and the flush took place on the 22nd Aug. I can touch and clean her ears without her minding at all so I'm fairly sure there isn't pain directly relating to the ear.

    She was at vets thurs PM and last night has diminished appetite so my first thought was that the antibiotic is new, and second thought is maybe stress but I would have presumed that would have caused her to stop eating the thurs night maybe 😣

    I've really struggled to syringe feed her water the week before last she wouldn't swallow it and would just dribble it back down her chin so trying to go down the wet veggies route.

  4. #4
    Forum Buddy olices's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    York
    Posts
    3,638

    Default

    I have no experience of this with my bunnies, but sending vibes for a speedy recovery and it all gets back to normal soon

  5. #5

    Default

    Thank you 💕

  6. #6
    Mama Doe bunny momma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miss_rosieannie View Post
    Hey

    I'm pretty confident it's not due to the ear infection - she had no issues with appetite etc with it until she had an ear flush to clean the affected ear and then the general anaesthetic triggered stasis. It took about 3 weeks to diagnose the ear infection pre-flush, and the flush took place on the 22nd Aug. I can touch and clean her ears without her minding at all so I'm fairly sure there isn't pain directly relating to the ear.

    She was at vets thurs PM and last night has diminished appetite so my first thought was that the antibiotic is new, and second thought is maybe stress but I would have presumed that would have caused her to stop eating the thurs night maybe ��

    I've really struggled to syringe feed her water the week before last she wouldn't swallow it and would just dribble it back down her chin so trying to go down the wet veggies route.
    It is good that she is still eating the wet veggies. My bunnies will sometimes refuse to eat even their veggies, so I use Sub Q fluids.
    Since you have eliminated her ear infection as the cause of her not eating, then you are right to check with your vet about the abx.

  7. #7

    Default

    Thank you. It's just so stressful. She's currently munching on some hay so hopefully I can get her back to normal before it gets too serious again.

  8. #8
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    145,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miss_rosieannie View Post
    Hi

    Fifi has been prescribed Sulfatrim to try and tackle her pseudomonas ear infection.
    I've been instructed to give 0.46ml twice daily, and she's had 3 doses now.

    This morning I've gone to check on her and she hasn't finished her tea time pellets and is disinterested in her morning fresh pellets. I've offered some herbs and she's eating those.

    Not sure if anyone will remember my post the other week but we've literally just got through the other side of pretty bad stasis, with her only just starting to drink water more normally around Monday. I brought her home from boarders thurs (holiday) and she's gone off drinking again at home so I'd put a little water on her pellets last night. The ones I offered this morning were dry again.

    Does anyone know if Sulfatrim can cause a loss of appetite/nausea in rabbits? I've had a Google but I can only see regurgitation in birds and nausea in humans.

    I'm really scared of triggering stasis again and wondering if I should completely hold off on the antibiotic for now until she's eating and drinking normally again - but being an antibiotic will that have an adverse effect on treating the pseudomonas; will it increase resistance?

    I am going to try and speak to the vet that prescribed it today, once they open in a few hours, but she was recommended the antibiotic by another specialist in the country as she's spent over a week ringing round to find an antibiotic to treat this infection - therefore I'm wondering if someone here would have more first hand knowledge of it and any side effects.

    Thanks
    What is your Bunny's poo output like and is she on any pain relief for her ear infection ??
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

  9. #9

    Default

    Output is currently normal, but she was eating ok up until last night. She's not got any signs of pain or discomfort with her ear. When I originally took her to vets for it it was just because there was a bit of crust at the entrance of it, she had been totally fine in herself otherwise.
    Spoke to vets and they've said this antibiotic isn't likely to be causing nausea and to carry on.. I'm wondering if it's stress of being syringe fed meds? Tried to do it as calmly as possible this morning with lots of cuddles and pauses in between trying to get it down her :/

  10. #10
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    145,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miss_rosieannie View Post
    Output is currently normal, but she was eating ok up until last night. She's not got any signs of pain or discomfort with her ear. When I originally took her to vets for it it was just because there was a bit of crust at the entrance of it, she had been totally fine in herself otherwise.
    Spoke to vets and they've said this antibiotic isn't likely to be causing nausea and to carry on.. I'm wondering if it's stress of being syringe fed meds? Tried to do it as calmly as possible this morning with lots of cuddles and pauses in between trying to get it down her :/

    Well IME ear infection in Rabbits is almost always painful and pain will stop a Rabbit from eating. So personally I would want to err on the side of caution and ask the Vet to prescribe analgesic cover, for a few days at least. Stress from lots of 'hands on care' can also cause a Rabbit to refuse food, so I empathise with the fine line between needing to get medication into them but not wanting to stress them out. Have you tried disguising the doses of Sulfatrim in some of her favorite treats ? So you dont have to pick her up to medicate her.
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •