Thread: Post operative care

Default Post operative care

Hi everyone
    Itís been a very long time since I last posted but Iím in need of some help, my little bunny Linnie had an operation yesterday to remove a tumour, surgery went well, but heís not really eating, he stayed in the vets last night with his two girls who have been with him the whole time, the nurses gave him recovery food, which he didnít have much of and decided that him coming home today was the best thing as he may settle and eat something, I agreed to this as I know how stressy he can be. The problem is heís having to wear a vest to cover his stitches as heís licking them but In turn I think itís stressing him! Since heís been home heís had fibreplex, some recovery food and has been drinking water and a tiny bit of parsley. Iím worried heís not eating enough, although heís been moving around and was making a bed with the fresh straw I put in. He had pain relief before coming home and I have some to give him tomorrow. Should I bring him and the girls in so I can monitor him better but run the risk it will stress him, I would put all three in a dog cage, not great but donít know wether to leave him where he knows or bring him in 🤷 ☹️

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Boo. View Post
    Hi everyone
    Itís been a very long time since I last posted but Iím in need of some help, my little bunny Linnie had an operation yesterday to remove a tumour, surgery went well, but heís not really eating, he stayed in the vets last night with his two girls who have been with him the whole time, the nurses gave him recovery food, which he didnít have much of and decided that him coming home today was the best thing as he may settle and eat something, I agreed to this as I know how stressy he can be. The problem is heís having to wear a vest to cover his stitches as heís licking them but In turn I think itís stressing him! Since heís been home heís had fibreplex, some recovery food and has been drinking water and a tiny bit of parsley. Iím worried heís not eating enough, although heís been moving around and was making a bed with the fresh straw I put in. He had pain relief before coming home and I have some to give him tomorrow. Should I bring him and the girls in so I can monitor him better but run the risk it will stress him, I would put all three in a dog cage, not great but donít know wether to leave him where he knows or bring him in 🤷 ☹️
    dear bunnyboo,-what were the discharge instructions for linnie,??-critical care?-metacam?reglyn.??--was it an abscess or tumor.??-please call your exotic dvm and read carefully the discharge instructions.immediately.--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

His discharge instructions were to give him fibreplex every 4hrs and to regularly give him recovery food. Obviously to tempt him with grass, herbs etc. He had pain relief and anti inflammatory at the vets this morning and Iím to give him more pain relief in the morning. He had a tumour removed from his shoulder. I have bought all three of them in for the night so I can keep an eye on them.

Default post surgery gi tract mobility

His discharge instructions were to give him fibreplex every 4hrs and to regularly give him recovery food. Obviously to tempt him with grass, herbs etc. He had pain relief and anti inflammatory at the vets this morning and Iím to give him more pain relief in the morning. He had a tumour removed from his shoulder. I have bought all three of them in for the night so I can keep an eye on them.
    dear bunnyboo,-excellent,-post surgery[anesthesia],you will need to get the gitract working [quickly],-because any disruption of the gi tract function is always serious-with a rabbit.. http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html here is a special link to the problem..watch them poops..you are correct to offer grasses,even fresh greens[wet],-reglyn[rx] is a gut mobility med,which may be necessary if no poops-after only a few hours[post surgery]-think of the gi-tract as a conveyor belt always moving,at some pace-the anesthesia stops the process,-any medication has side effects with rabbits too,--ie pain,.which could have been avoided..offer some pellets and the fibreplex,wet grasses,etc..--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

How is Linnie doing this morning ?

Links to information about various health problems that can affect Rabbits :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems
    NB- If you think your Rabbit is unwell it is essential to seek immediate veterinary attention.

Some of my bunnies take a little longer to behave normally following general anesthesia. Make sure he gets plenty of recovery food, fluids, pain meds (vet may need to be called to increase dosage in some cases), monitor pee and poo.
    Sending you and your bunny some positive vibes for a full recovery.

Morning, Linnie is about the same as he was last night, although I have managed to get at least 15ml of recovery food into him this morning, which is a first, Heís had some fibreplex and pain relief and Iíve picked fresh herbs from the garden but heís not interested in eating those. He did have a very small amount of parsley last night. I have taken his vest off as heís acting like he canít move with it, although even with it off heís not moving, having to keep watch as peanut is trying to mother him and clean him. Iím going to see how much recovery food I can get him to take on his next feed, if itís not much then I think I will be heading back to the vets ☹️

A little update, heís just had a small bit of rosemary and a small bit of parsley 😁 heís pooping and weeing! Off to the vets to get more pain relief and recovery food and Tesco to get some baby food for him, to mix in with his recovery food. Whatís the best baby food to get?

A little update, he’s just had a small bit of rosemary and a small bit of parsley �� he’s pooping and weeing! Off to the vets to get more pain relief and recovery food and Tesco to get some baby food for him, to mix in with his recovery food. What’s the best baby food to get?
    I am glad to hear that he's perked up a bit. The Vegetable puree baby food pouches are what I use- carrot, parsnip,broccolii etc. Most Supermarkets sell their own brand, so a bit cheaper than Ellla's Kitchen or Hipp ones. Sending more vibes for Linnie xx

Links to information about various health problems that can affect Rabbits :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems
    NB- If you think your Rabbit is unwell it is essential to seek immediate veterinary attention.

Thank you, Iíve got him some pouches and more recovery food, he has enough pain relief to last until next week, and parsley coming out of our ears ( itís his favourite) 😁 so fingers crossed for little Linnie 💓