• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post operative care

Bunny Boo.

Warren Scout
Hi everyone
It’s been a very long time since I last posted but I’m in need of some help, my little bunny Linnie had an operation yesterday to remove a tumour, surgery went well, but he’s not really eating, he stayed in the vets last night with his two girls who have been with him the whole time, the nurses gave him recovery food, which he didn’t have much of and decided that him coming home today was the best thing as he may settle and eat something, I agreed to this as I know how stressy he can be. The problem is he’s having to wear a vest to cover his stitches as he’s licking them but In turn I think it’s stressing him! Since he’s been home he’s had fibreplex, some recovery food and has been drinking water and a tiny bit of parsley. I’m worried he’s not eating enough, although he’s been moving around and was making a bed with the fresh straw I put in. He had pain relief before coming home and I have some to give him tomorrow. Should I bring him and the girls in so I can monitor him better but run the risk it will stress him, I would put all three in a dog cage, not great but don’t know wether to leave him where he knows or bring him in 🤷 ☹️

Hi everyone
It’s been a very long time since I last posted but I’m in need of some help, my little bunny Linnie had an operation yesterday to remove a tumour, surgery went well, but he’s not really eating, he stayed in the vets last night with his two girls who have been with him the whole time, the nurses gave him recovery food, which he didn’t have much of and decided that him coming home today was the best thing as he may settle and eat something, I agreed to this as I know how stressy he can be. The problem is he’s having to wear a vest to cover his stitches as he’s licking them but In turn I think it’s stressing him! Since he’s been home he’s had fibreplex, some recovery food and has been drinking water and a tiny bit of parsley. I’m worried he’s not eating enough, although he’s been moving around and was making a bed with the fresh straw I put in. He had pain relief before coming home and I have some to give him tomorrow. Should I bring him and the girls in so I can monitor him better but run the risk it will stress him, I would put all three in a dog cage, not great but don’t know wether to leave him where he knows or bring him in 🤷 ☹️
dear bunnyboo,-what were the discharge instructions for linnie,??-critical care?-metacam?reglyn.??--was it an abscess or tumor.??-please call your exotic dvm and read carefully the discharge instructions.immediately.--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

His discharge instructions were to give him fibreplex every 4hrs and to regularly give him recovery food. Obviously to tempt him with grass, herbs etc. He had pain relief and anti inflammatory at the vets this morning and I’m to give him more pain relief in the morning. He had a tumour removed from his shoulder. I have bought all three of them in for the night so I can keep an eye on them.

post surgery gi tract mobility

His discharge instructions were to give him fibreplex every 4hrs and to regularly give him recovery food. Obviously to tempt him with grass, herbs etc. He had pain relief and anti inflammatory at the vets this morning and I’m to give him more pain relief in the morning. He had a tumour removed from his shoulder. I have bought all three of them in for the night so I can keep an eye on them.
dear bunnyboo,-excellent,-post surgery[anesthesia],you will need to get the gitract working [quickly],-because any disruption of the gi tract function is always serious-with a rabbit.. http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html here is a special link to the problem..watch them poops..you are correct to offer grasses,even fresh greens[wet],-reglyn[rx] is a gut mobility med,which may be necessary if no poops-after only a few hours[post surgery]-think of the gi-tract as a conveyor belt always moving,at some pace-the anesthesia stops the process,-any medication has side effects with rabbits too,--ie pain,.which could have been avoided..offer some pellets and the fibreplex,wet grasses,etc..--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa:love::wave:

Some of my bunnies take a little longer to behave normally following general anesthesia. Make sure he gets plenty of recovery food, fluids, pain meds (vet may need to be called to increase dosage in some cases), monitor pee and poo.
Sending you and your bunny some positive vibes for a full recovery.

Morning, Linnie is about the same as he was last night, although I have managed to get at least 15ml of recovery food into him this morning, which is a first, He’s had some fibreplex and pain relief and I’ve picked fresh herbs from the garden but he’s not interested in eating those. He did have a very small amount of parsley last night. I have taken his vest off as he’s acting like he can’t move with it, although even with it off he’s not moving, having to keep watch as peanut is trying to mother him and clean him. I’m going to see how much recovery food I can get him to take on his next feed, if it’s not much then I think I will be heading back to the vets ☹️

A little update, he’s just had a small bit of rosemary and a small bit of parsley 😁 he’s pooping and weeing! Off to the vets to get more pain relief and recovery food and Tesco to get some baby food for him, to mix in with his recovery food. What’s the best baby food to get?

A little update, he’s just had a small bit of rosemary and a small bit of parsley �� he’s pooping and weeing! Off to the vets to get more pain relief and recovery food and Tesco to get some baby food for him, to mix in with his recovery food. What’s the best baby food to get?

I am glad to hear that he's perked up a bit. The Vegetable puree baby food pouches are what I use- carrot, parsnip,broccolii etc. Most Supermarkets sell their own brand, so a bit cheaper than Ellla's Kitchen or Hipp ones. Sending more vibes for Linnie xx

Thank you, I’ve got him some pouches and more recovery food, he has enough pain relief to last until next week, and parsley coming out of our ears ( it’s his favourite) 😁 so fingers crossed for little Linnie 💓

Back