• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bloated Belly

My 14 week old bunny ( got him 5 days ago) has a bloated belly. I’ve been feeding him unlimited alfalfa, pellets, and recently introduced kale. He is eating but not eliminating as much as usual.

Any suggestions or ideas are much appreciated! Thanks so much.

My 14 week old bunny ( got him 5 days ago) has a bloated belly. I’ve been feeding him unlimited alfalfa, pellets, and recently introduced kale. He is eating but not eliminating as much as usual.

I'd get him to a vet asap, they'll be able to give him some gut meds and probably a painkiller and try to work out what's causing it, bloating can be very serious in buns unfortunately :( sending lots of vibes for him x

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

dear sketchybunnies,--rabbits are strickly[ herbivores-grass eaters]-therefore diet is extremely important.[.ie.-grasses]-timothy/orchard,or [clean -no pesticdes,etc.]-out of your back yard..-grasses are [70%]-of the diet,your bun should be weaned reported-[14 week]-dark green kale as a treat..bloated belly may be a problem to watch..lots of water..-prior to weaning-young bunz enjoy momas milk and at some point they are fed pellets/grasses--then-[20%]--[alfalfa]-pellets are fed for the digestible food and vitamins,not a main staple.!-sometimes people get this [70/20 back wards]-please donot make that mistake--watch the poops http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html and http://www.medirabbit.com you can offer acceptable treats..-sincerely james waller fom the other kent-usa

His belly isn’t bloated anymore, and he is binkying and flopping all over my room like crazy and acting like his normal self! He is not in any pain. I will for sure keep a very close eye on him though, (checking is belly multiple times a day) and not give him anymore kale for now! I called the vet, and she said to give him a few drops of olive oil for his constipation. If his belly starts to feel hard again, I will take him to the vet!

His belly isn’t bloated anymore, and he is binkying and flopping all over my room like crazy and acting like his normal self! He is not in any pain. I will for sure keep a very close eye on him though, (checking is belly multiple times a day) and not give him anymore kale for now! I called the vet, and she said to give him a few drops of olive oil for his constipation. If his belly starts to feel hard again, I will take him to the vet!

I am glad your bunny has improved. Others have given you good advice.
It has been decades since I heard of anyone using oil for constipation in rabbits. From what I recall, oil coats material in the digestive tract and can keep it from being softened, rehydrated with water/fluids which is why I no longer use it. Perhaps others can offer more information on using/not using oil.

Thank you sooo much everyone for all of your help! He is doing just fine today, acting normal and flopping! And his belly is it’s normal squishy self! Lol! The vet that I called is an exotic vet! The oil helped a lot, and his stool is normal now! Again, thanks sooo much! <3

Thank you sooo much everyone for all of your help! He is doing just fine today, acting normal and flopping! And his belly is it’s normal squishy self! Lol! The vet that I called is an exotic vet! The oil helped a lot, and his stool is normal now! Again, thanks sooo much! <3
dear sketchybunnies,--who-da-thunk-it,-olive oil,-I,ll be ..olive oil doesnot ring any bells either,[-zoobec,]--I must look into this..--I have heard of Castrol oil-[for humans]--this exotic dvm is good,worth her weight in gold..-olive oil,is great for cooking,salads,etc.-it breaks down in the digestive tract..must be good for molting also..sketchybunnies-what is the 14 week old bunz name.--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

Back