• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Marley & Martha

Kazzie134

New Kit
Hello everyone,

I used to be a member about 6 years ago when I first got Marley, a lion head. I'd never had a rabbit before and i rescued him for being PTS whilst doing vet nurse experience.

Shortly after, I rescued Mia, who unfortunately passed away last year after fighting a bacterial lung infection and E.C.

I bonded them myself over the space of 2 or 3 days, separating them at night.

I've just rescued Martha, she looks like a Nethie cross Lion and shes smaller than Marley.

Today is the first time I've put them together, they've been living side by side in puppy pens for the last week. Marley has been very humpy but has also groomed her, he has this thing where he grooms eyes, he did it a lot to Mia and he has done it to Martha a few times.

There is only a bowl of water and some hay in the pen. Martha has only just eaten a little, Marley has eaten loads but Martha darent move far from her corner. Marley looks a little on guard and keeps thumping and grunting, Martha is only grunting when he approaches / humps. I've chased him off a bit just to try and give her a little rest bless her.

As a time out I put them in a carrier and walked around the garden for a while but she really stresses at travelling/being moved whereas Marley isnt as fussed.

Currently they're both cleaning themselves down.

God my heart is in my stomach 😂🙈

Welcome back! The bonding sounds normal to me. Martha is acting submissively which is good. In a few days they should be much more settled together. I like to give a few treats during bonding, it helps to take their minds off it and it helps the bonding.

Thank you!

Well I left them together all night, with a baby monitor on them and at one point when I woke up they were laid near each other.

This morning there hasn't been any chasing or humping. Marley has demanded a groom but Martha refused and grunts whenever he goes near so maybe there's a couple of trust issues after yesterday but we have certainly made progress!

Hello, and welcome back :wave: I’m glad the bonding seems to be going well, it’s certainly stressful :lol:

I am so pleased to hear they spent the night together without any fall-outs. It certainly can take a while before they learn to trust one another.

Extended their area, they started humping/grunting and chasing a bit more but they've settled quite quickly.

I think it helps that they're 6 and 7, and both lost their previous friend but I can't believe how quick it's gone well!

I hope it stays this way while I'm at work tomorrow and then they can move out into their hutch and run on Thursday 🤞

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Bear in mind that every time you move them or extend their area there may well be a little bit of chasing. :thumb:

Back