• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Clementine isn't eating :(

That's sounding much more positive Graciee - topping up the poppy vibes for Clementine. xx
Thanks Craig :) I really really hope so, it's been too long! Problem is she's still moulting loads too, which probably isn't helping [emoji51]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone :D all aboard the poop train! Pooooooop Pooooooop [emoji38]

Thanks everyone :D all aboard the poop train! Pooooooop Pooooooop [emoji38]

dear graciee,--excellent,-[prayer,vibes,everything works]-clementine pulled it off,great poops..the poop train,toot,toot.--thank you gracie,I know we have all be worried,but your care is what got her through it...good girl.--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

She's pooping, but they still aren't the right size or colour.. And now she's missing fur on her dewlap, it looks like she's groomed it off, and the skin looks really angry and Idk why :( and my vets not around til next week unfortunately :(

It's been 24 days [emoji37]

She's pooping, but they still aren't the right size or colour.. And now she's missing fur on her dewlap, it looks like she's groomed it off, and the skin looks really angry and Idk why :( and my vets not around til next week unfortunately :(

I'm sorry to hear of more worries. What is she eating at the moment? I'm guessing her pulling fur is indicative of her feeling out of sorts emotionally or physically (Rudey did the same before he came to us). I wish I had some words of wisdom but don't have any suggestions. Lots of vibes though xx

I'm sorry to hear of more worries. What is she eating at the moment? I'm guessing her pulling fur is indicative of her feeling out of sorts emotionally or physically (Rudey did the same before he came to us). I wish I had some words of wisdom but don't have any suggestions. Lots of vibes though xx

Thanks xx

She's eating little bits of hay, she's eating veggies and treats like normal, and seems springy in herself, she's not on any painkillers, so I hope she's not in pain.. She doesn't seem to be.. The fur is her over grooming I think tbh, after meds she spends ages grooming, but the area is just getting bigger and bigger :'(

I'm sorry to see further concerns about Clementine. Is her over-grooming similar to what Mervinius had with Lady Pip?

I'm sorry to see further concerns about Clementine. Is her over-grooming similar to what Mervinius had with Lady Pip?
I'm not really sure :( it doesn't look good though, looks really sore and it keeps getting bigger, not too sure what to do about it

Attached some pictures, I'd say it looks worse inrl more blood red in places, sorry for the poor quality pictures, they were taken on a bad phone in low light conditions, so it really struggled, I'll try get some more accurate ones.

344a396c8315ee96b8dbfd65a0f4e4dd.jpg
25c83577ca64676a960e5c078410f930.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not really sure :( it doesn't look good though, looks really sore and it keeps getting bigger, not too sure what to do about it

Attached some pictures, I'd say it looks worse inrl more blood red in places, sorry for the poor quality pictures, they were taken on a bad phone in low light conditions, so it really struggled, I'll try get some more accurate ones.

344a396c8315ee96b8dbfd65a0f4e4dd.jpg
25c83577ca64676a960e5c078410f930.jpg

Poor girlie :cry: Has the Vet seen her when her skin is that sore ? I know she was at the Vets recently but maybe her skin was not so bad then. I am wondering if the overgrooming has become a 'behavioural' issue and not associated with pain or mites etc :? It is possible that a secondary bacterial infection has now set in.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Bacterial_dermatitis_lagomorphs.htm

Poor girlie :cry: Has the Vet seen her when her skin is that sore ? I know she was at the Vets recently but maybe her skin was not so bad then. I am wondering if the overgrooming has become a 'behavioural' issue and not associated with pain or mites etc :? It is possible that a secondary bacterial infection has now set in.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Bacterial_dermatitis_lagomorphs.htm

Nope not seen the vet since the skin thing has occurred, I rang up yesterday to try get an appointment this week, but my vets not there til next week, so I had to book in for then :(

I don't see her grooming the area ever, except for after meds which are twice a day now, so she has the Emeprid, Cisapride and zantac twice a day, and after meds she grooms all around that area :( Idk if it's because she thinks it's gone down her? (it hasn't) or if it's just "I've been roughed up must groom" [emoji38] she hops away violently flicking her feet at me, so she's not exactly pleased by the ordeal [emoji51] takes a treat after she's groomed though with no issues, so it's a temporary upset.. But maybe she's annoyed and over grooming the area? Idk.

No idea about the bacterial infection, it all looks clean, but I know that could change very quickly.. It's hard to see, if she's looking at you, you can't see it, you have to pull her dewlap down a bit to see it, it's right at the top of her dewlap where it curves back under her chin.. (she has a massive dewlap)

Wondering if I should try getting her off the meds, like reducing by one and see how she goes (obviously no vet to advise on this) problem is the poops.. They still aren't right! So she is pooping more but they're small and dark still :(

I think it's the medicine! She's such a mare she's spitting out the Emeprid.. A little at the end and it's going right on the area! I followed her after her meds.. She looked very put out [emoji38]

Okay so maybe a bib? Or a bandana just till she's dribbled that last tiny bit [emoji849] then she should be good? Maybe then it'll heal.. She is grooming the area with a medicine tongue too though [emoji37] idek anymore. Clementine is such a pain [emoji51][emoji38]

Oooh Graciee - that looks terribly sore for poor Clementine. If you feel it is the meds reacting with her, then I might be tempted to discuss with the vet - although I think your idea of a bandana or bib is a fantastic idea. Not sure if Clementine would be too happy with wearing that though.
I know it is hard - really I do. Thing is, what you are doing is in their best interests but they don't understand that it is. So Clementine is not deliberately being disobediant, she is just reacting in a natural way to something she doesn't like or agree with. They can be quite determined little things at times and I admire your patience.
Sending vibes for Clementine and hope that she starts to improve soon. xx

Oooh Graciee - that looks terribly sore for poor Clementine. If you feel it is the meds reacting with her, then I might be tempted to discuss with the vet - although I think your idea of a bandana or bib is a fantastic idea. Not sure if Clementine would be too happy with wearing that though.
I know it is hard - really I do. Thing is, what you are doing is in their best interests but they don't understand that it is. So Clementine is not deliberately being disobediant, she is just reacting in a natural way to something she doesn't like or agree with. They can be quite determined little things at times and I admire your patience.
Sending vibes for Clementine and hope that she starts to improve soon. xx

Oh no I'm sure Clementine knows exactly what's up [emoji38] she's too smart for her own good, I always thought Atticus was because he's trainable.. But actually she may have the edge, why can't she be like the white buns, they're so easy going! [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Joking aside, I'd do anything for my queen and I'm sure after she wears a bandana tonight (only whilst giving the meds til after she's dribbled) I'll probably have to make sure she doesn't kill me in the night [emoji38]

I measured her neck, and we've found one suitable, so we'll see, If we can just get the meds from sitting on the bare skin, I'm hoping it'll start to heal up, worth a shot I think anyway [emoji38]

I think it's the medicine! She's such a mare she's spitting out the Emeprid.. A little at the end and it's going right on the area! I followed her after her meds.. She looked very put out [emoji38]

Okay so maybe a bib? Or a bandana just till she's dribbled that last tiny bit [emoji849] then she should be good? Maybe then it'll heal.. She is grooming the area with a medicine tongue too though [emoji37] idek anymore. Clementine is such a pain [emoji51][emoji38]

Hey sorry Clementine is poorly. Maybe the medicine is irritating the fur. I think the bandana idea might work. Or she just might be stressed from all the treatment. Pips certainly got worse the more I fretted and the more I took her to the vets.

Pips fur pulling looked that sore too, it's just irritation from over grooming an area.

Back