• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Seeking new hay supplier.....

They usually have a good stock but I've seen it become unavailable for a while. Thankfully it doesn't seem to last long but it caused quite the tantrum from my lot for a couple of weeks last year!
I usually try to stockpile a couple of bags if I can near holidays etc but we go through a bag every... 7-10 days? I actually haven't counted but it's a lot! :lol: expensive buns that they are.

Mine did like the soft at one point but now refuse to eat it! They sift out the greenest bits then leave the rest. Seems to be stalky only - at least at the moment.
Fickle little things that they are they'll probably decide they want the soft again at some point :roll:
I got a sample of their orchard grass earlier this year - it was absolutely beautiful, dark green, really soft. If I was a rabbit I'd have loved it (and I'm not going to lie, even as a human it smelled nice! :oops:) but nope, they wanted their stalky timothy back!
Fusspots :lol:

They usually have a good stock but I've seen it become unavailable for a while. Thankfully it doesn't seem to last long but it caused quite the tantrum from my lot for a couple of weeks last year!
I usually try to stockpile a couple of bags if I can near holidays etc but we go through a bag every... 7-10 days? I actually haven't counted but it's a lot! :lol: expensive buns that they are.

Mine did like the soft at one point but now refuse to eat it! They sift out the greenest bits then leave the rest. Seems to be stalky only - at least at the moment.
Fickle little things that they are they'll probably decide they want the soft again at some point :roll:
I got a sample of their orchard grass earlier this year - it was absolutely beautiful, dark green, really soft. If I was a rabbit I'd have loved it (and I'm not going to lie, even as a human it smelled nice! :oops:) but nope, they wanted their stalky timothy back!
Fusspots :lol:

A 9kg bag in less then 2 weeks :O wow!!! How many bunnies do you have? I'm guessing it will take my 2 about 4 weeks to get through it, but stock pilling will definitely be the way forward

9 of them :oops:
I don't know how long they acutally last, I just buy another as soon as it gets to a certain point in the bag. Costs an absolute fortune!! The royal little things, needing the best hay :lol:
It feels like it's about 7-10 days. It's definitely less than 2 weeks!
I do see it as a bit of a preventative though. I have a few (my nethie in particular) who have problems with their teeth and a few who are very prone to stasis.
If they're eating more hay because they're more inclined to than they would be with a lower quality hay then aside from it obviously being better for them it's also cheaper than keep taking them up the vet for various issues. Good amounts of hay helps keep their GI system working well making stasis less likely and also helps keep teeth in check so it all contributes to overall health. And prevention is always better than cure :)
At least that's how I've justified the enormous cost to myself :lol:

9 of them :oops:
I don't know how long they acutally last, I just buy another as soon as it gets to a certain point in the bag. Costs an absolute fortune!! The royal little things, needing the best hay :lol:
It feels like it's about 7-10 days. It's definitely less than 2 weeks!
I do see it as a bit of a preventative though. I have a few (my nethie in particular) who have problems with their teeth and a few who are very prone to stasis.
If they're eating more hay because they're more inclined to than they would be with a lower quality hay then aside from it obviously being better for them it's also cheaper than keep taking them up the vet for various issues. Good amounts of hay helps keep their GI system working well making stasis less likely and also helps keep teeth in check so it all contributes to overall health. And prevention is always better than cure :)
At least that's how I've justified the enormous cost to myself :lol:

I love your justification :D I feel like you are right though. My first bunny bailey used to go into stasis every couple of months. If you had told me feeding her prime rib eye steak once a week would have prevented it she would have had it.
I find it more stressful than anything else. Every time we were going on holiday, as soon as she saw a suitcase, that was it 'mum I'm off pellets' meant I could never be excited about going on holidays as I was terrified she would stop eating again. It used to fill me with anxiety to the point I used to avoid going on holiday!
She was a bunny brat that used to start eating 12 hours before we flew anywhere 'mum I'm hungry now'.
She was my world though. The only bunny I've had that licks me. She used to lick my nose (yes she was probably eating her poop minutes before but ask me if I care!) We miss her lots. Feels like a lifetime since I've seen her, it was only earlier this year we lost her.
Part of me thinks her soul is in our new bunny bugs. There is something about the way he runs up to you that was the same as her. Who knows.
Bugs and Oreo have the best of everything now. Best hay, best veggies, they even have a castle that my husband built them! Spoilt children

Back