• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Digging ideas (indoor and outdoor)

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
I was going to make a digging box, but my bunny can’t jump super high and is also kind of clumsy. I feel like I would have to use a super low sided container, which kind of defeats the point of a digging box :lol:

He has rugs etc, but is specifically digging on the wooden floor. Not in the same place or I would just put something down there. It’s not bothering me, but I can’t imagine it’s fun for him never getting anywhere.

I really want him to have some digging options in the apartment and outside. I think outside I can go with a planter filled with soil and a step, because soil is kind of easy to climb back up and stand on top of to get out, but indoors I would be looking at a something other than soil. I’ve always used a deep plastic box lined with seagrass mats, and filled with different materials like palm, vine, banana leaf zigzags and shredders etc, stuff you get from the bird section in pet stores!

Just thought I would ask if anyone has any ideas or options I hadn’t thought of!

Fern likes digging, and she loves digging at the sea grass mats, so that’s a good option, but I can’t think of anything else that isn’t messy:lol:

Yeah, he is sleeping on the mats but not really interested in them for anything else :lol:

I’ve just seen some like sisal digging platforms online, I might try to apply this idea to a regular seagrass mat and see if he likes it’s:

http://www.happyrabbittoys.com/bestsellers/sisal-carpet-chewing-and-digging-station/

I’m desperate to turn my balcony into a bunny playground, but there is external work happening on our building for the next month so I can’t until then :(

Yeah, he is sleeping on the mats but not really interested in them for anything else :lol:

I’ve just seen some like sisal digging platforms online, I might try to apply this idea to a regular seagrass mat and see if he likes it’s:

http://www.happyrabbittoys.com/bestsellers/sisal-carpet-chewing-and-digging-station/

I’m desperate to turn my balcony into a bunny playground, but there is external work happening on our building for the next month so I can’t until then :(

At least he is using them :thumb:

Those sisal digging stations look good :thumb:

Yep that’s true! He is so funny, he has a ton of toys but only plays with things like our clothes and shoes, or things he manages to grab like our keys. He tried to make off with my phone last night :lol: He also took an empty beer can from the recycling and was going crazy with it until we were like :censored: and managed to get it off him. I’m like why don’t you play with your nice safe toys!

My pair of Netherland Dwarfs love digging at towels and blankets

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

So frustrating when I take them to the vet. I swear they hate the things! Heaven forbid I should try to make a horrible experience a little comfier for them. Lol

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

I currently use a deep plastic storage container filled with aubiose.
Obi makes a huge mess kicking it out of the tub but the plan is to cut a hole in the side of a cabinet and put the digging pit in there once he's bonded and free ranging. In the short term it's easily hoovered up.

I'm new to this digging bunny malarkey and hoping I can keep my carpets in tact; Between the digging pit and ceramic tiles in his favourite spots I seem to be doing ok!

Awww :love:

I think I’m gonna get another litter tray and fill one with digging material. I will just have to keep sweeping it up :lol:

I’m also going to try and diy something similar to my link above.

I went and got him some extra rugs so I could cover more of the area by the front door as that’s where he is mostly digging. He just dragged them out of the way and cleared a space to dig on the wooden floor :lol:

If you can find a big cardboard box you could always put the tray inside that and cut a hole for him in the side of the box, that way he can hop in and make all the mess he likes.

Back