• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Giving a rabbit freedom of choice

GGHG

New Kit
Hi all. I'm planning for my little boy's first pet rabbits. They will be outdoor rabbits.

Rather than a standard hutch, I want to build their own customised home that offers them the space, security and comfort they deserve.

I'm was thinking of building their home with walls made from composite decking boards. For anyone who doesn't know, composite is a wood / plastic mix that does not split or rot. It has the ease of cleaning of plastic and won't retain water and dampness from the seemingly constant rain here in Scotland.

The decking boards are the 'honeycomb' type, so I was thinking of spraying expanding foam into the gaps to add even more insulation. I think this would be great for them. in the winter months. However, I'm concerned that in summer - specifically during a heatwave - this plastic (for all intents and purposes) home may become far too hot inside. They will have an enclosed mesh run connected to their home, so that they will have free reign to go outside at any given time - even when we're asleep. I thought then that I could incorporate a second home for them - enclosed but made from far thinner material to give them a cooler option. And so to my question....

Would a pair of rabbits have the knowledge to know that they could switch and sleep / shelter in either of their bedrooms as conditions demanded? Or would they stick to the same living quarters in which they originally chose to set up camp? I guess in summary - can rabbits understand and react to freedom of choice, the way we humans could, in response to a problem (in this case hot/cold weather)?

Rabbits sometimes do what we would like them to do, but quite often you find them sitting in the pouring rain, by choice, or lying in the snow. They can take quite a bit of heat also but should have shade when the weather is hot, it really depends on the rabbits. I would be more concerned by the metal run as to whether it will be predator-proof especially as you say they will have access to it at all times. A boy/girl pair is the best for getting along, as 2 boys will invariably fight when they grow up a bit, and 2 girls might also fight. The best way really is to start with 1 boy, get him neutered when old enough, then look for a little girl to be his friend. If you get boy and girl at the same time you will need to separate them at around 12-14 weeks to prevent any pregnancy. It is very good you are looking ahead with your plans. Rabbits also should be vaccinated against Myxomatosis/RHD1 and RHD2, 2 separate vaccines 2 weeks apart.

My rabbits have a kids playhouse as a hutch, with permanent access to an enclosed run, which is shaded and on concrete tiles so cooler, and then when we're around, they have access to a much larger grassy open run area which is usually in sun. I find that given the option, they usually sleep in the enclosed hutch during the day, except when it's especially hot, then they will rest in the enclosed shady tiled run. But almost never in the open run area. So in short - mine seem to know where they'll be most comfortable and go there!

Will they understand - Absolutely. Willl they use it? Probably not. Mr Diggle has spent all day in front of the fan (outside) with an ear on his frozen bottle. Sensible rabbit.

When I had 2 girls, they would ignore all of it and sunbathe

Yes, they will react to freedom of choice and make decisions. But what we would consider freedom of choice and what bunnies consider freedom of choice is a different matter. Humans being apex predators view the world very differently to bunnies. Bunnies are smart creatures and hyper-aware of their environment.

If you can give them a predator proof environment that offers a bit of everything - sunshine, shade, warm shelter and places to cool off, you should be fine. Maybe keep a thermometer in the hutch for the first year and check it a few times a day to see how it holds up? Technically, genuine insulation should stabilize temperatures and insulate from the external environment whether hot or cold. But it rarely works out that way. Painting the external area of the hutch white might help deflect some of the sun/heat? Also, how tough is the composite decking boards? Bunnies chew loads.

They will feel happier and less stressed if they have strategically placed 'bolt holes' and things to hide in. Bunnies do not like not having escape routes close by. My bunny, for example, is a free roam house bunny. She knows this house better than I do. She has her escape routes and she’s obsessive about them. If so much as a piece of tissue is in the way, she will insist on removing it ASAP. If my foot is in the way of her bolt hole, she will hop up to me and gently, but ever so firmly, shove my foot out of the way.

As for predator proofing, we have stoats, minks and weasels all over the UK, but I think in some parts of Scotland you have polecats and wild cats as well? Stoats and minks can squeeze through very smalls gaps - I think it's and least half inch gap they can get through. They also chew, dig and climb. Plus there are the larger predators like foxes, etc. If your rabbits are going to have access to the outside full time it might be worth while looking into heavy duty perimeter security as well.

It is lovely to hear someone be so mindful of the rabbits welfare before getting them - it sounds like you are going to be a fab bunny owner!
Rabbits would definitely know that they could go to different areas but I've found that they do tend to pick a favourite sleeping place and stick to it - one of my rabbits has picked a spot right in front of a cabinet I use every morning and we battle over it every day :lol: That said, in the recent heatwave she did retreat to another (cooler) room.

I don't know if you've looked at the rabbit welfare guidelines but the minimum recommended area is 6x2ft of sheltered space & constant access to a 6x8ft run (obviously the bigger the better). Have you thought about using a child's playhouse as their hutch? That way your son could really get in with them. You could build a sleeping box within the playhouse to help keep them extra toasty when they need it too.
When mine were outside they had a shed and it was really handy to be able to keep all their food, hay, water bowls, etc in with them. I also stopped dreading cleaning out during the winter because I'd be in with them out of the rain!

Rabbits are more tolerant of cold than heat: mine are in a playhouse with the roof insulated against the sun, so it doesn't get too hot. They have access to a (tiny, inappropriate is used as their only hideaway) hutch the other side of the garden next to the house where it's cooler (north-facing). They get around using tunnels :) Sheds and playhouses are really good because they allow much more interaction between people and bunnies! Aviaries and kennels for runs are great but take up a lot of height, not great if you like hanging the washing out and have a small garden :D

I think the composite on its own would be fine: I was planning to use it to make levels in a dog crate they have attached to their warren but haven't gotten around to getting hold of any yet (I need like 1-2 lengths!) and if you get the paler stuff that won't heat up as much. Some of them specifically say they're cooler than concrete etc. IIRC. However, it might let water in if the joints aren't tight enough: wood expands when it's wet so keeps water out of the inside of the building, but composite won't, so water may seep in through joints, especially if wind-driven. I would honestly go with a decent quality wood as it's proven to keep water out :)

Back