Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit not himself

Default Rabbit not himself

I wasnít sure if this was health or behaviour but Beans hasnít been himself the last few weeks. He feels like heís lost weight, I have nothing to weigh him with so Iím going to take him to get weighed next week. He lives with another male and female (all neutered/spayed and have lived together for just over a year) the female, Jelly, seems to pick on Beans a bit, a bit of hair pulling and chasing. I have also seen the other male, Angus, mount Beans once before. I scatter feed them, and put Beans in 10/15 minutes before the others so he can get a head start on food and Iím going to order another hay rack today. Beans just seems sad and not himself, any advice?

Archie - born October 2010
    Izzy - born July 2009

No advice, but bumping it up for you. Hopefully it's nothing serious and it's easily sorted

Thank you, just to add this has happened before and he’s been to two different vets and they said there’s nothing wrong with him. It just seems like he’s really unhappy I’ve considered separating him from the other 2 and either keeping him inside with me or getting him a friend but I know separating rabbits is not normally a good idea and I’m worried I’ll make things worse

Izzy - born July 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Alicia View Post
    Thank you, just to add this has happened before and heís been to two different vets and they said thereís nothing wrong with him. It just seems like heís really unhappy Iíve considered separating him from the other 2 and either keeping him inside with me or getting him a friend but I know separating rabbits is not normally a good idea and Iím worried Iíll make things worse
    I'm lucky in that all my bunnies have bonded and got on well together, I'm sure there will be someone who will come along that has experienced this and can give advice

Wise Old Thumper

If it were me I'm pretty sure I would take him out of the equation and get him a friend of his own. Are you able to bring him indoors with you for the moment until you've had him weighed and checked over by the vet again. If rabbits are unhappy (and it sounds as though he is being picked on) they will lose weight and be miserable. At the same time, if he is sick in some way, the others may be picking on him because of that. Its a horrible situation and I hope someone else may give you more help.

Wise Old Thumper

Just to add that many years ago I added another male into a set-up with a bonded male and female and it never really worked. I don't know whether I didn't bond them properly or whether the first male was very attached to me and definitely wanted to be 'top dog'.

Could it cause more problems taking him away from the others? I’m so worried about making things worse. I really wish they could speak and tell us what would make them happy!

Izzy - born July 2009

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Alicia View Post
    Could it cause more problems taking him away from the others? I’m so worried about making things worse. I really wish they could speak and tell us what would make them happy!
    What are you worried about would happen if you took him out?

I think I’m worried either Beans would get more unhappy or the other two would become unhappy

Izzy - born July 2009

Mama Doe

I would definitely get him checked out, including teeth. Meanwhile, can you separate him for a few hours a day so you can monitor his eating, output and general behaviour? It may help to narrow down any issues and give him the chance to eat in peace, without causing a major upset with the trio bond. I would also get some cheap scales so you can weigh him weekly. I use cheap digital kitchen scales on the floor or worktop, with a large plastic mixing bowl or small litter tray on to put the furries in. It's good enough for monitoring purposes and for working out some medications (eg wormers). You just need to get them still enough so you can take the reading, so a bowl works for my bunnies as it takes them a few seconds to figure out they can escape. It's also cheaper and less stressful than a repeat visit to the vet.