• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits seem to have bonded really well, but I have one concern

P123

New Kit
I have two rabbits, a neutered male (1 year old), and a spayed female (3 years old).

They were gently introduced to each other a couple of months ago and bonded really well. They snuggle, sleep and play together, and I've never seen them fight or get aggressive.

The male seems to have taken the dominant role as he is always bowing his head down to the female, who will give him a thorough clean. The female, however, will not under any circumstances allow the male to mount her. She'll run away every time, and sometimes this leads to a chasing match. This has been going on for a couple of months now.

I've never noticed this turn into aggressive behaviour. The male just eventually gives up. In the rare instances that he manages to corner her and mount her, she never fights back, she just allows it to happen.

Should I be worried that they could turn on each other eventually if she won't submit and allow him to mount her? Has anyone else experienced similar behaviour with their bunnies? Once or twice I've noticed that the male will clean the female - could there be an uneven power dynamic at play here? I'd really appreciate any help or advice!

Other info:
1. I've owned the male since he was a baby, but I adopted the female, so I have no idea what past experiences she's had with other rabbits.

I agree with Shimmer. You are lucky that they bonded so easily. The male seems to know how to "manage" the female, perhaps she needs to be kept in her place now and then. Some females can get rather feisty!

My bonded pair behaves the same way, although they seem to display more variety as to which one is mounting which (and at which end, i.e. head or tail). Perhaps that's because the female is the dominant party. I don't think there is anything to worry about if there is no aggression.

I've 2 pairs & the boy in each will often try to hump their girlies, very rarely successfully. I agree, normal bunny behaviour.

Back