• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much do you pay for a basic dental?

RabbitBears

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone

Long long time since I've posted and I was always more of a lurker tbh :oops:

I've just been charged nearly £400 for a basic dental with no complications, spurs on molars that definitely needed doing "but weren't too bad" in the vet's words.

This strikes me as a lot, but maybe I've just been lucky?

I'm glad he's picking up through the day, he's older than he was if not ancient, and struggles with the anaesthesia, but I'm anxious about the money for next time.

So... How much do you usually pay for a standard dental for your buns?

That does sound quite steep. I used to pay about £100-200 a few years ago for regular dentals requiring a GA - mainly spurs.
Can you get a breakdown of the costs for this time (it may be on your receipt), and a quote before any future treatment?
At least it's been done and there are no complications - it could have got much more expensive if it had not been sorted this early.

Not including consult but including meds I'm taken to give at home Boo's average dental bill is £120, its been as low as £60 but that time I was just charged for GA & nothing else. I need to dig out a receipt - I'm not even sure they charge for the procedure itself

It cost £308.60 for Millie’s recent dental, including £25 for the consultation fee. I thought it was quite expensive. Also paid £70 the previous day for a consultation and meds as she wasn’t eating. Thankfully all (except the policy excess) was covered by insurance.

I paid on average £250 for Teddy's numerous dentals and post op checks, that also included any pain relief if he needed it.

rabbitbears

Hi Everyone

Long long time since I've posted and I was always more of a lurker tbh :oops:

I've just been charged nearly £400 for a basic dental with no complications, spurs on molars that definitely needed doing "but weren't too bad" in the vet's words.

This strikes me as a lot, but maybe I've just been lucky?

I'm glad he's picking up through the day, he's older than he was if not ancient, and struggles with the anaesthesia, but I'm anxious about the money for next time.

So... How much do you usually pay for a standard dental for your buns?
dear rabbitbears,-I havenot as yet converted monetary $$-some people are very lucky to have even -1-exotic dvm is their city..many things must be considered..however-the bun-[health]- is very important,,eating grasses is a number one concern..the process for dental proceedure is major concern-[gas]-[anaethisia]--stops the gi-tract--I am so pleased he pulled through the anathesia and eating grasses again.this means the gi-tract is on the move again..as I read your post what is it you paid for--the full procedure/repair,-or-a check up??--which should-also be done with gas,--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa:wave::love:

Last edited:
Where we used to live (hampshire) it was around £175 but raised to £215 the last time around (if I remember correctly.. It was actually a bit more than that but our wonderful vet managed to get it down for us as best she could as she thought it was too high!)
Here in south Wales I can't quite remember the exact price but I think it's around £150-ish.
£400 is very high imo. I imagine prices will vary based on where you live to a degree as well as individual surgeries, but personally I'd view anything over £250 as high for a 'normal' dental!

That sounds excessive, I used to pay around £200.

Note: I know I should have insurance, he's 7 with multiple chronic health issues now - but if I had my time again...

I’m not sure insurance would have made much difference to be honest. My bunny was insured for nine years at the same company with no claims and she had no health issues until her first dental aged nine. The insurance company were like no!

Unless I'm mistaken there are no insurance companies that cover dentals in rabbits (in fact I don't think they cover dentals for any animals for that matter, I remember it was excluded when I took out insurance on my dog and seemed to be a common factor for all the insurers I looked at). If you look at the excluded conditions dentals always seem to be there :(

I always said if/when we got another rabbit I would insure them this time around. So when we got Harley I did some research and got a quote.
Guess who got ill the night before I took the policy out :?

I’m with petplan, they paid out my claim for Millie’s dental (spurs) without any problem.

Unless I'm mistaken there are no insurance companies that cover dentals in rabbits (in fact I don't think they cover dentals for any animals for that matter, I remember it was excluded when I took out insurance on my dog and seemed to be a common factor for all the insurers I looked at). If you look at the excluded conditions dentals always seem to be there :(

I always said if/when we got another rabbit I would insure them this time around. So when we got Harley I did some research and got a quote.
Guess who got ill the night before I took the policy out :?
Pet plan do, aslong as their teeth are checked yearly I think? And there's no previous dental issues.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Pet plan do, aslong as their teeth are checked yearly I think? And there's no previous dental issues.

My bunny was with petplan. She was insured at 3 months old, she never missed a six monthly vet check her whole life, and had no pre existing issues with anything when she had her first dental aged nine as she had never been sick at that point. They told me they don’t pay out for dentals. And she ended up needing them on a regular basis after the first couple.

I’ve always insured my pets, but when this happened I canceled my policies, and I don’t think I will insure any future pets. I’m still kind of ******, I had insured 4 rabbits with petplan for periods of 6 to 9 years each and never made a single claim on anything and they were just like nope :lol:

Edited to say, petplan actually did pay out on her first dental ‘in confusion’ they claimed, and then tried to ask for the money back. It was clearly an error on their part that they later noticed. My vet confirmed there was nothing confusing or non standard about the claim.

Last edited:
My bunny was with petplan. She was insured at 3 months old, she never missed a six monthly vet check her whole life, and had no pre existing issues with anything when she had her first dental aged nine as she had never been sick at that point. They told me they don’t pay out for dentals. And she ended up needing them on a regular basis after the first couple.

I’ve always insured my pets, but when this happened I canceled my policies, and I don’t think I will insure any future pets. I’m still kind of ******, I had insured 4 rabbits with petplan for periods of 6 to 9 years each and never made a single claim on anything and they were just like nope [emoji38]

Oh Blimey! I haven't insured any of my buns, I keep meaning to, but then on the other hand I'm not sure if it's the right thing for my situation, been on the fence for a few years about it tbqh [emoji38] but I was under the impression that they did cover it if as you say they were checked etc.. Bit worrying..

As there was proof of the 6 monthly check, couldn't you force them to cover it? As they state they will? I think I'd have kicked up a right fuss [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] unless your policy didn't include this? :S

Oh Blimey! I haven't insured any of my buns, I keep meaning to, but then on the other hand I'm not sure if it's the right thing for my situation, been on the fence for a few years about it tbqh [emoji38] but I was under the impression that they did cover it if as you say they were checked etc.. Bit worrying..

As there was proof of the 6 monthly check, couldn't you force them to cover it? As they state they will? I think I'd have kicked up a right fuss [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] unless your policy didn't include this? :S

They all just had the rabbit Covered for Life insurance, I’m not even sure if they have other rabbit policies, I don’t remember specifically choosing between different policies. I did argue it, but it was in the small print somewhere that it wasn’t covered, so no pre existing conditions and proof of health checks were irrelevant, I had to give up in the end as I didn’t really have a point to argue.

Maybe somethings changed, this was about five years ago. I would just recommend getting it in writing that dentals are included or double checking any small print to anyone who is taking out insurance with the hope that it will include future dentals.

Last edited:
Back