• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need Help Understanding my bun language

Foxxey

New Kit
Hi guys!

Newbie rabbit owner here!

My recent adopted rabbit is 2 years old and he just came aboard to my house around 2-3weeks. So far so good. He start to open up abit to me & his "dad" by letting us stroke and pet him without being that afraid anymore *yay*
And he's happier here now which im so glad about it.

( Abit of my rabbit background ) Since he was born he has been neglected due to too many bunnies in his prev house. He doesnt open up and afraid of human interaction. Other rabbits tend to bully him in the past. His brother also died infront of him recently.

Long story short.
Few questions to understand him more

1)Just wondering if your rabbit does line up the poo straight on the floor / group together in litter box?
2) Apparently he doesnt do the lick as a form of love but he somehow use his nose and head to softly headbutt my hand when i put my hand to him. ( He sniff and soft headbutt my hand, then when i gently stroke hes fine with it and let me pet him awhile) Is this a form of interaction he giving me?
3) Usually day time he will hide himself in his igloo and doesnt come out even i fed him some greens he will just eat inside until night time and start hyping with all the binky and running around. Is it a norms for rabbit?

Thank you for your time to read my post!

Last edited:
Hi guys!

Newbie rabbit owner here!

My recent adopted rabbit is 2 years old and he just came aboard to my house around 2-3weeks. So far so good. He start to open up abit to me & his "dad" by letting us stroke and pet him without being that afraid anymore *yay*
And he's happier here now which im so glad about it.

( Abit of my rabbit background ) Since he was born he has been neglected due to too many bunnies in his prev house. He doesnt open up and afraid of human interaction. Other rabbits tend to bully him in the past. His brother also died infront of him recently.

Long story short.
Few questions to understand him more

1)Just wondering if your rabbit does line up the poo straight on the floor / group together in litter box?
2) Apparently he doesnt do the lick as a form of love but he somehow use his nose and head to softly headbutt my hand when i put my hand to him. ( He sniff and soft headbutt my hand, then when i gently stroke hes fine with it and let me pet him awhile) Is this a form of interaction he giving me?
3) Usually day time he will hide himself in his igloo and doesnt come out even i fed him some greens he will just eat inside until night time and start hyping with all the binky and running around. Is it a norms for rabbit?

Thank you for your time to read my post!

Hi, rabbits are interesting creatures aren' they :) I'll give you my thoughts on your questions.

1. In my experience rabbits are almost oblivious to the process of pooing, so I don't think that a rabbit will intentionally place the poo in any formation, but a litter-trainer rabbit will attempt to poo in the litter tray. I usually find a gathering of poo in a certain spot in their litter tray, but also there will be an occasional single poo.
2. Yes, I would say that the behaviour you have described is a form of interaction from your rabbit. I've know some rabbits, who like being stroked, will softly headbutt the hand if you stop stroking i.e. do some more please.
3. Rabbits are crepuscular, so will normally sleep during the day. This is completely normal. He obviously feel safe and secure in his igloo, which helps him to sleep without fear.

Hello and welcome. I am pleased that you are posing these questions - it shows that you wish to learn and understand more about bunnies and taking the time to learn and communicate with our bunnies is never time wasted.
First up - Bunnies are complicated in their communication - largely because they cannot vocalise (or at least not one that you wish to ever hear). So as their guardian, you needto learn and pick up on their signals because it shows their moods and also shows when they are not well. This is important and you can also help your vet with learning because you can then tell your vet if you notice any changes.
Rabbits lick to show affection - if you are lucky enough to get a licker, then you are priviledged. It is a special bond.
Now, the headbut you are describing is something my bun Lillian does - but she has some complex issues going on and she is not the most approachable rabbit due to her past. But....nose bumping you is a positive sign. It means bunny is greeting you. You could reciprocate by gently trying to rub bunnys nose. Your bunny is saying "I trust you and hello". And in return, bunny will expect to be shown affection back, and possibly grooming.
Bunnies live a life in a heirachy so bunny is expecting you to be below him in that rank. It's just how it is. Grooming is important and bunny will like that and will build up trust more between you both. Your bunny is looking to you as his support and is placing his trust in you. That is a big step forward given his past.
Your rabbit should be quite chilled and relaxed when sitting. There are various ways they sit - this forum will have some threads that may help and there are some great resources on the interweb that will show you rabbits body language. They are very good to read and learn from.
Binkying is normal - in fact it is your rabbits way of showing happiness and contentment. They do tend to be less active in the day - especially in the heat so first thing in the morning and last thing in the evening they will become more active. They need spaces to hide so your igloo is a good place - they like to feel secure so small spaces offer them security feeling.
At some point, you may wish to consider getting a companion because they are social animals and like to be part of a group. They will thrive more and be happier, but this is perhaps something you would like to look at later down the line once your bun has settled in.
I hope this helps and please feel free to look round other parts of the forum threads. You should find loads of helpful information and advice and we are all here to give as much help and advice as you would like. x

Back