• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Partial incontinence? Uti?

Yes, thankyou Jane. I read all the links that still work and some other websites but I'm not terribly bright so struggling to relate to what I'm seeing in my two.

Obi has had diarrhea on and off for months which it seems is the coccidiosis in one of it's milder forms? He's otherwise well and full of beans so that seems to bode well for recovery.
Lola hasn't had any diarrhea and no problems before her dental issues but I wonder if the parasite had a chance to grow in numbers while she was unwell and post surgery, leading her to this odd situation where she's fine at night but a bit depressed and off her food in the day.

I feel so let down right now. Both by the rescue he came from (it appears he had this and ear mites when he came to me) and by my vet, who I've been asking for answers from for weeks now. It's only because I delivered some poo down there and insisted they send it off we've even found out about this.

Yes, thankyou Jane. I read all the links that still work and some other websites but I'm not terribly bright so struggling to relate to what I'm seeing in my two.

Obi has had diarrhea on and off for months which it seems is the coccidiosis in one of it's milder forms? He's otherwise well and full of beans so that seems to bode well for recovery.
Lola hasn't had any diarrhea and no problems before her dental issues but I wonder if the parasite had a chance to grow in numbers while she was unwell and post surgery, leading her to this odd situation where she's fine at night but a bit depressed and off her food in the day.

I feel so let down right now. Both by the rescue he came from (it appears he had this and ear mites when he came to me) and by my vet, who I've been asking for answers from for weeks now. It's only because I delivered some poo down there and insisted they send it off we've even found out about this.

I am sure it's really frustrating as you are clearly trying to do your best to help both Bunnies. A* daily cleaning of the environment is essential when Coccidiosis has been identified. I expect you noted that from your own research. Cocci spores become 'active' in the faeces 48 hours after being passed. So very regular poop picking up to minimise the risk of re-ingestion of the spores is a good idea.

Has Lola had a full blood profile run (sorry if you have already said in a previous post) There is a form of Coccidiosis that affects the Liver rather than the GI tract- ie Hepatic Coccidiosis. This seldom presents with diarrhoea as a symptom, is more likely to affect adult Rabbits and can cause general loss of condition, periods of inappetence and lethargy, a 'staring/rough' coat and over time a dropped belly and a pointy looking spine.

Yes her blood test showed high calcium and suggested she had been anaemic recently but liver wasn't mentioned. I'll mention is specifically when I go in on Thursday though just in case anything was missed originally.

She has had a handful of the more moist poos that obi sometimes does since she got ill. Not diarrhoea but definitely not regular poos or cecatrophs

Last edited:
Yes her blood test showed high calcium and suggested she had been anaemic recently but liver wasn't mentioned. I'll mention is specifically when I go in on Thursday though just in case anything was missed originally.

She has had a handful of the more moist poos that obi sometimes does since she got ill. Not diarrhoea but definitely not regular poos or cecatrophs

I'd specifically ask the Vet if there was any indication of problems with Liver Function xx

Liver function was fine. Vet today said the calcium is only slightly high and he thinks is more of a balance issue because something else was a bit low and once she's eating properly again and free of these parasites it should sort itself out. We're cutting down what's on offer to try and get her eating more hay.

As for obi, I am really really upset.
I got in touch with the rescue he came from to politely let her know we had got to the bottom of the problem and its coccidiosis and she may want to treat the other rabbits as a precautionary. She got on the defensive and basically said he didn't have it while he was with her and none of the other rabbits have had symptoms. I said that many rabbits are carriers without symptoms and since the medication is so cheap its probably worth looking in to - at least for the one litter mate she still has there. She basically said I must keep them in filth because that's the only way he'd get it.
She was previously unpleasant about the ear mites he came to me with as well. I'm not even reading her recent reply because my anxiety is through the roof.

At least it seems both rabbits should be able to recover and get back together. The vet said it's low numbers of coccidiosis so we should be able to get rid of them easily as long as I'm on top of the cleaning.

Liver function was fine. Vet today said the calcium is only slightly high and he thinks is more of a balance issue because something else was a bit low and once she's eating properly again and free of these parasites it should sort itself out. We're cutting down what's on offer to try and get her eating more hay.

As for obi, I am really really upset.
I got in touch with the rescue he came from to politely let her know we had got to the bottom of the problem and its coccidiosis and she may want to treat the other rabbits as a precautionary. She got on the defensive and basically said he didn't have it while he was with her and none of the other rabbits have had symptoms. I said that many rabbits are carriers without symptoms and since the medication is so cheap its probably worth looking in to - at least for the one litter mate she still has there. She basically said I must keep them in filth because that's the only way he'd get it.
She was previously unpleasant about the ear mites he came to me with as well. I'm not even reading her recent reply because my anxiety is through the roof.

At least it seems both rabbits should be able to recover and get back together. The vet said it's low numbers of coccidiosis so we should be able to get rid of them easily as long as I'm on top of the cleaning.

What a shame that the Rescue person got so defensive as a Coccidiosis outbreak can actually happen to anyone who takes in numerous Rabbit's from different places. An out break is not always indicative of poor husbandry. You can only pass on the information/advice to the person and it's then up to them if they chose to act on it.

I hope your Bunnies will soon be 100% well and that you can re-bond them xx

I’m sorry the rescue reacted like that :cry: I had the same from the place I got the goats from. She had no symptoms until after a day or so of coming to me. The vet said the stress of moving could have been a trigger for the illness to show up but the previous owner wasn’t having any of it. Thankfully my goat recovered from it and her companion never showed any symptoms but we treated him for it anyway.

It is absolutely not your fault and Obi is lucky to have you :love:

Well we evidently did not shift the coccidiosis because obi had five patches of diarrhea on the sofa and carpet overnight. I've got to be honest, I found it so difficult to do thorough cleaning of what amounts to the entire house every day. The carpet especially makes it so difficult.
Seeing as they both seem fine in themselves aside from the occasional diarrhea on Obi's part I'm going to wait until the new year when Lola will hopefully have had a few weeks without a stasis incident and then bond them on lino in a confined pen. I can treat them for the coccidiosis while they're in the nice easy-clean environment and also steam clean the rest of the house a couple of times.
Until then I've set up a barricade in the living room doorway so that she's free to come and see him if she likes. I think if we can get both rabbits comfortable with each other again bonding should be much easier. They're both very sensitive but when it comes to fight or flight we've got one of each. When we tried bonding a couple of weeks ago they were fine but then he moved and she thumped, her thump scared him so he bit her, she ran away so he chased her, and so on.

Roll on new year.

It sounds like a good plan. That’s the worst in bonding, them having to learn to trust each other, and until they do, that sort of thing happening. Fingers crossed for the bonding in the new year xx

Back