Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Partial incontinence? Uti?

Quote Originally Posted by BattleKat View Post
    Well I got ripped to shreds finding out but he seems pretty clean downstairs. I don't think we've had any leaking or soft poops or anything today but its hard to say because the rug in his pen is covered in drops of the brown stuff.

In future, would getting him up on his back legs on a table at eye height probably be enough for me to see if he was dirty? Because that's a piece of cake and doesn't involve me bleeding

He also eagerly took his first dose of panacur.
    It could be but if he's a 'hands off' Bunny wont he just make a leap for freedom ? I would imagine it would be a 2 person job, one to hold him up on his hind legs, the other to do the checking.Having a feel around the area two can alert you to 'muckiness' but it's not as reliable as a proper look.

At least he did not have a Panacur Protest !! Hope your war wounds heal quickly. If only we could get 'hands off' Bunnies to understand that we need to handle to help them sometimes..............

Links to information about various health problems that can affect Rabbits :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems
    NB- If you think your Rabbit is unwell it is essential to seek immediate veterinary attention.

He's claimed my dining table as his main hangout area so it's easy enough to dangle a bit of food in the air while crouching on the floor and get a relatively good look (even have a poke around if he's busy enough with the food).

Rambo was very much a hands off bunny but the times she was really unwell she actually came and "told" me and let me handle her. I'm sure she knew that I would take care of her.

It's difficult to say for sure because the rug in his pen is already covered in brown spots but I think the problems have stopped since cutting out the excel. He's had a couple of dandelion leaves each of the last few days and a sprig of coriander yesterday all with no problems. Still some moist poops in his tray but nothing like we were getting.
    Also my little carpet spot cleaner came and it's taken up all the stains on living room carpet so even if he does have recurring problems I feel much better about him being able to stay free ranging.

I'm going to keep up with the food and poop diary, hopefully we'll be able to identify anything that sets him off and keep on top of it.

thanks for the help and support, as always

It's difficult to say for sure because the rug in his pen is already covered in brown spots but I think the problems have stopped since cutting out the excel. He's had a couple of dandelion leaves each of the last few days and a sprig of coriander yesterday all with no problems. Still some moist poops in his tray but nothing like we were getting.
    Also my little carpet spot cleaner came and it's taken up all the stains on living room carpet so even if he does have recurring problems I feel much better about him being able to stay free ranging.

I'm going to keep up with the food and poop diary, hopefully we'll be able to identify anything that sets him off and keep on top of it.

thanks for the help and support, as always
    Great news !! It is odd how Excel seems to upset quite a few Bunny Tummies. I hope things continue to improve for Obi. A food diary is a good idea. I have found that the least likely things to cause 'issues' as far as fresh food goes are herbs. I avoid feeding any fruit and carrots are only fed in tiny amounts once a week at most- just some scrapings of the skin, not a big chunk of carrot. The things most likely to set things off seem to be pelleted feeds (not only Excel) and products sold as 'Rabbit Treats'. These tend to be high in carbohydrates. The only 'treats' my Bunnies get are fresh/dried forage.

NB- If you think your Rabbit is unwell it is essential to seek immediate veterinary attention.

Spoke too soon. Nothing but herbs and pellets the last couple of days but I've come home to sloppy poops and brown drips all over his flooring.

I'm wondering if it's stress related because the first time it happened when he was running about and had a bit of a shock and last night my brother came over and got in the run with him which was a completely new person and situation for him.

Eta: could it be anything to do with the fact he's eaten some lino flooring? It was a while back now but could it be interfering if it's still in his system or something?
    Last edited by BattleKat; 31-08-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Spoke too soon. Nothing but herbs and pellets the last couple of days but I've come home to sloppy poops and brown drips all over his flooring.

I'm wondering if it's stress related because the first time it happened when he was running about and had a bit of a shock and last night my brother came over and got in the run with him which was a completely new person and situation for him.

Eta: could it be anything to do with the fact he's eaten some lino flooring? It was a while back now but could it be interfering if it's still in his system or something?
    I certainly empathise with you as with gut issues there can often be relapses and the cause can be impossible to identify.

Do you wash all the herbs before feeding them to him ? I asked as sometimes what they are 'rinsed' with in the production process can upset a Rabbit's GI tract.

I'd keep him on hay only for 48 hours. If you can locate some bramble leaves you could feed him a few of them as bramble leaves (washed well) can help when the poo is 'unformed'. Then just introduce one type of well washed herb at a time.

As I think I said before it took a good year to get Lord H's gut issues relatively stable. He is 5 and a half now and *touches lots of wood* he has been 'relapse free' GI tract wise for almost all of this year. So hang on in there, hopefully things will settle down again over the next 48 hours xx

I think I was just tired last night, no idea why I said herbs, it's been hay and pellets only. I'll get some bramble leaves from the garden.
    I'm meant to go camping tomorrow but I'm so stressed about leaving him. He should be fine though and he's got people checking in three times a day. It's so difficult to know what to do.

Thanks for the tip on the herbs, I'll definitely wash them all in future.

Overnight he's done a lot of normal poop and also a small pile of these long things.

Overnight he's done a lot of normal poop and also a small pile of these long things.

Those poos look better

Have you considered trying him on a pellet free diet ? That is one of the things that sorted Lord H's gippy tummy out. I am sure you have already done so, but have a good check of his bum to make sure that it's nice and clean. Also, I'd ask the person checking on him whilst you are away to check his bum on each visit. He will be at higher risk of Flystrike due to his gut issues. As I said, I am sure that you are well on top of all of that. Just mentioning it incase anyone else reading the thread may not be aware of how 'high risk for flystrike' Bunnies' with dodgy tummies can be.

I'm posting this link for general information

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/flystrike/

Atticus produces these he is pellet free, and just has hay, but it was still bad, also used to get wet splodges everywhere too I give him two of the oxbow gut tablet/treat things per day now and it's really really reduced/stopped the mess, he's been having more veg and forage since its got a bit better and he's really enjoying it always felt so bad, he's my least fussy bun, he really will eat anything you offer, yet for so long I wouldn't let him have anything but hay, poor thing

I hope you can get to the bottom of your buns gut issues, it's really tough trying to work out what causes what, and cleaning their underneath every day

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk