• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Partial incontinence? Uti?

I'll see how he goes with massively cut down pellets and if that doesn't work I'll try him pellet free. I just worry because one of my previous giants was really hard to keep weight on - I had to have him on a&p breeder and grower, a big bowl full every day.

One of the people coming is going to check his bum so that'll be once a day, and he's getting two other visits for hay and general checking he's eating and behaving normally. I've given his entire pen including rug a good scrub and I've asked the bum checker to send me pics of his pen and litter tray so if there's anything to really worry about I can come home.

What are the oxbow things Graciee?

Really good normal looking poops all day today. Hoping we might have a few trouble free days while we're away.

While we were away he was on measured pellets and hay and we had two splodges of liquid poop on his rug but otherwise good poo of normal shape and consistency (my brother was nice enough to send pics every day ��)
Since we got home he's been absolutely fine.

While we were away he was on measured pellets and hay and we had two splodges of liquid poop on his rug but otherwise good poo of normal shape and consistency (my brother was nice enough to send pics every day ��)
Since we got home he's been absolutely fine.

Sounds as though things have settled down now. I certainly hope so xx

I've been trying him with coriander this week and he seems fine still. He's had a small handful every day for the last four days. Thinking I'll try it for a fortnight and then trial something new, maybe fenugreek crunchies since they're my main weapon against the willful and stubborn nature of rabbits :lol:

I've been trying him with coriander this week and he seems fine still. He's had a small handful every day for the last four days. Thinking I'll try it for a fortnight and then trial something new, maybe fenugreek crunchies since they're my main weapon against the willful and stubborn nature of rabbits :lol:

That sounds to be a positive update. Have you ever tried him on fresh fenugreek (AKA Methi) ? Mine are going crazy for it atm. Trouble is it does make their wee smell of Methi for several days :lol:

I'm now more certain than its at least partly emotionally triggered.
I've been bonding obi with lola (in unorthodox ways but it's been working for us) and last night she refused to leave his pen when I went to bed so I left them together. She didn't want to come out this morning either but then in the afternoon she seemed to have had enough of him and left.
Since then he's been very annoyed and keeps pulling at the gate of his pen, and we've had the liquid poop on the floor. I let him out for a minute so I could go in and clean it up and he dripped brown spots everywhere he went.

He hasn't had anything unusual food wise.

The other times it happened worse than a couple of spots were also been after potentially upsetting events - a stranger going in to his pen and stroking him, a big shock and after we had to handle him to inspect his ears and clip his claws.

I'm now more certain than its at least partly emotionally triggered.
I've been bonding obi with lola (in unorthodox ways but it's been working for us) and last night she refused to leave his pen when I went to bed so I left them together. She didn't want to come out this morning either but then in the afternoon she seemed to have had enough of him and left.
Since then he's been very annoyed and keeps pulling at the gate of his pen, and we've had the liquid poop on the floor. I let him out for a minute so I could go in and clean it up and he dripped brown spots everywhere he went.

He hasn't had anything unusual food wise.

The other times it happened worse than a couple of spots were also been after potentially upsetting events - a stranger going in to his pen and stroking him, a big shock and after we had to handle him to inspect his ears and clip his claws.
The issue Atticus has can be triggered by him being upset or scared too I've noticed :(

I just realised I didn't reply about the oxbow treats [emoji37] sorry about that - these are them - oxbow digestive support - you can get it on amazon or the hay experts I think? Lots of places sell them online, I've seen it in some vets too, there's a whole range, my female buns on the urinary support ones too.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

We had a night away last night so they were fed by relative strangers last night and this morning. We've come home to more liquid poo. Feels like it can't be coincidence.
Thinking next summer we'll get him rear guarded so that we can be confident going away.

We had a night away last night so they were fed by relative strangers last night and this morning. We've come home to more liquid poo. Feels like it can't be coincidence.
Thinking next summer we'll get him rear guarded so that we can be confident going away.

It does seem to be a stress induced thing doesn't it :?

Just for anyone who might stumble on to this in the future, it turns out obi has parasites. We'll be starting treatment asap.

The vet did tell me on the phone but I'm at work and haven't got the note of what she said. Nothing really came up when I googled it so I wasn't sure if I'd misheared her. Maybe it was Toxidia?
I've made an appointment to go in and see the vet I like more on Thursday to talk it over and I'm going to pick up some Baytox for both Obi and Lola later.

Last edited:
The vet did tell me on the phone but I'm at work and haven't got the note of what she said. Nothing really came up when I googled it so I wasn't sure if I'd misheared her. Maybe it was Toxidia?
I've made an appointment to go in and see the vet I like more on Thursday to talk it over and I'm going to pick up some Baytox for both Obi and Lola later.

Coccidia? Coccidiosis? If it’s Baycox that’s used for coccidiosis, I had a goat with it once and used baycox. Not experienced it in rabbits. Sending lots of vibes xx

Yeah could have been. Isn't coccidia pretty fatal though? Looks like they've both had these parasites for months.

Coccidia ?

ETA- Missed Zoobec's post :oops:

I've read all the articles I could find on coccidia but I still don't really understand what it means for my two.
I'll be back in the vet on Thursday to discuss it further but is it something they can recover from or is a damage is already done kind of scenario?

I've read all the articles I could find on coccidia but I still don't really understand what it means for my two.
I'll be back in the vet on Thursday to discuss it further but is it something they can recover from or is a damage is already done kind of scenario?

Coccidiosis can be successfully treated. But in baby Bunnies it can prove to be rapidly fatal. Some Rabbit fecal samples will show a positive result for Coccidia but the Rabbit may show no symptoms. It depends on the parasitic load, amongst other things.

I expect you have seen this thread

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...sis-All-Rabbit-Owners-Should-be-Aware-of-This

Back