• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Partial incontinence? Uti?

BattleKat

Wise Old Thumper
I'll try and keep this brief but some of it might be completely irrelevant.

Obi was perfectly litter trained when we got him (10 weeks old)
About a week before his neuter (I think) he started peeing outside of his tray and I hoped neutering would sort him out
He's now 3 weeks post neuter and still occasional wees outside his tray but the majority is in his tray.
More concerning are the spots of very dark urine that keep happening - sometimes several together.
There's also often bits of soft poo, not cecals but not properly formed poo, and they're usually covered in the really dark wee which I suppose could be completely liquid poo?
Earlier he got scared and weed himself, and I noticed after I shut him away that there's a trail of spots of wee from some other point in the evening.

Anyone have any ideas what's up? Is it just normal recovery from neutering?

Eta: I had a look at the sofa before coming to bed and the bit that seems like a smear of wee is crispy. Is that maybe something from a scent gland? Boy does stink on and off.

Last edited:
I'll try and keep this brief but some of it might be completely irrelevant.

Obi was perfectly litter trained when we got him (10 weeks old)
About a week before his neuter (I think) he started peeing outside of his tray and I hoped neutering would sort him out
He's now 3 weeks post neuter and still occasional wees outside his tray but the majority is in his tray.
More concerning are the spots of very dark urine that keep happening - sometimes several together.
There's also often bits of soft poo, not cecals but not properly formed poo, and they're usually covered in the really dark wee which I suppose could be completely liquid poo?
Earlier he got scared and weed himself, and I noticed after I shut him away that there's a trail of spots of wee from some other point in the evening.

Anyone have any ideas what's up? Is it just normal recovery from neutering?

Eta: I had a look at the sofa before coming to bed and the bit that seems like a smear of wee is crispy. Is that maybe something from a scent gland? Boy does stink on and off.

It sounds more like it is liquid from his bowels, not wee. Does he ever pass big oval fecal poo and/or splats of unformed cecotrophs ?

Might sound an irrelevant question, but what colour is he ?

I'm not really sure. I currently have to climb in to his pen through a tiny gate so I haven't been keeping an eye on his tray like I do with lola. I do remember when we got him sometimes there was like poo moosh in his tray but I figured it was unneaten cecals that he'd been sitting in.
I'll inspect his tray properly on my lunch break.

He's agouti.

Last edited:
IMG-20190823-082425.jpg

IMG-20190823-082456.jpg

IMG-20190823-082441.jpg

IMG-20190823-082547.jpg

IMG-20190823-082522.jpg

So we've got some fully formed caecals (that he hasn't eaten, but I think he eats most of them)
A bit of caecal with some squishy poop attached to
Mostly good poo but also somewhat tear drop shaped in many cases (one quite pronounced)
A couple of very moist poos
Some sort of squished up moist poo that I found on the carpet.

Are you thinking megacolon? I could cry this morning. I don't want to end up with them shut away in their own room again :(

Last edited:
Thought I'd add he's a conti cross so the big poops are normal.
Also he's still having a lot of junior pellets because he's still growing. I've been switching him over to SS adult. He also gets half a large bunch of herbs every few days. I'll start keeping a diary and see if there's any relation between the leaking and which foods I've given him.

Last edited:
Thought I'd add he's a conti cross so the big poops are normal.
Also he's still having a lot of junior pellets because he's still growing. I've been switching him over to SS adult. He also gets half a large bunch of herbs every few days. I'll start keeping a diary and see if there's any relation between the leaking and which foods I've given him.

I would not start panicking about possible Megacolon yet. Have you wormed him ?

What brand of pellets are you feeding, Excel can sometimes cause similar issues for some Rabbits.

Has he been neutered ? (Sorry, dont know how old he is)

Thankyou ever so much Jane. I do tend to get ahead of myself and panic with these things.

He hasn't been wormed but I've got some panacur left over from when we suspected Rambo had EC so I can start that tomorrow. We go away in just over a week so I've about got time for a 9 day course.

He's been on excel junior as that's what the rescue had him on but I've been introducing him to SS adult over the last couple of weeks and can ditch the excel from today.

He's about five months old, neutered maybe three weeks back.

Thankyou ever so much Jane. I do tend to get ahead of myself and panic with these things.

He hasn't been wormed but I've got some panacur left over from when we suspected Rambo had EC so I can start that tomorrow. We go away in just over a week so I've about got time for a 9 day course.

He's been on excel junior as that's what the rescue had him on but I've been introducing him to SS adult over the last couple of weeks and can ditch the excel from today.

He's about five months old, neutered maybe three weeks back.

Have you tried him on Fibafirst ? Personally that is my preferred choice over any pelleted feed

https://supremepetfoods.com/fiba-first-2/

Do you feed him any carrots at all, or fruit ? If so I'd cut those out.

Did the 'odd poo' .........ie the passing of 'brown fluid' start after his neuter ?

I am sure that you have already done so, but just a heads up to be vigilant re him getting a mucky bum/flystrike risks etc.

He gets the odd bit of fibafirst but I've never used it as a main feed due to expense. I'll try him on the ss for now and if that doesn't help them ill try exclusively fibafirst.

He never has carrot but does get the ocassional nibble of fruit of I'm eating it. He did have almost an entire raspberry yesterday but it was quite late in the evening after most of the "dribbling" had happened.

Its hard to say for sure re the neutering. I think there was some before the neutering but its definitely gotten worse.

I'll be sure to keep a close eye on him. Thank you

Well I got ripped to shreds finding out but he seems pretty clean downstairs. I don't think we've had any leaking or soft poops or anything today but its hard to say because the rug in his pen is covered in drops of the brown stuff.

In future, would getting him up on his back legs on a table at eye height probably be enough for me to see if he was dirty? Because that's a piece of cake and doesn't involve me bleeding :lol:

He also eagerly took his first dose of panacur. :)

Last edited:
Well I got ripped to shreds finding out but he seems pretty clean downstairs. I don't think we've had any leaking or soft poops or anything today but its hard to say because the rug in his pen is covered in drops of the brown stuff.

In future, would getting him up on his back legs on a table at eye height probably be enough for me to see if he was dirty? Because that's a piece of cake and doesn't involve me bleeding :lol:

He also eagerly took his first dose of panacur. :)

It could be but if he's a 'hands off' Bunny wont he just make a leap for freedom ? I would imagine it would be a 2 person job, one to hold him up on his hind legs, the other to do the checking.Having a feel around the area two can alert you to 'muckiness' but it's not as reliable as a proper look.

At least he did not have a Panacur Protest !! Hope your war wounds heal quickly. If only we could get 'hands off' Bunnies to understand that we need to handle to help them sometimes..............

He's claimed my dining table as his main hangout area so it's easy enough to dangle a bit of food in the air while crouching on the floor and get a relatively good look (even have a poke around if he's busy enough with the food).

Rambo was very much a hands off bunny but the times she was really unwell she actually came and "told" me and let me handle her. I'm sure she knew that I would take care of her.

It's difficult to say for sure because the rug in his pen is already covered in brown spots but I think the problems have stopped since cutting out the excel. He's had a couple of dandelion leaves each of the last few days and a sprig of coriander yesterday all with no problems. Still some moist poops in his tray but nothing like we were getting.
Also my little carpet spot cleaner came and it's taken up all the stains on living room carpet so even if he does have recurring problems I feel much better about him being able to stay free ranging.

I'm going to keep up with the food and poop diary, hopefully we'll be able to identify anything that sets him off and keep on top of it.

thanks for the help and support, as always :D

It's difficult to say for sure because the rug in his pen is already covered in brown spots but I think the problems have stopped since cutting out the excel. He's had a couple of dandelion leaves each of the last few days and a sprig of coriander yesterday all with no problems. Still some moist poops in his tray but nothing like we were getting.
Also my little carpet spot cleaner came and it's taken up all the stains on living room carpet so even if he does have recurring problems I feel much better about him being able to stay free ranging.

I'm going to keep up with the food and poop diary, hopefully we'll be able to identify anything that sets him off and keep on top of it.

thanks for the help and support, as always :D

Great news !! It is odd how Excel seems to upset quite a few Bunny Tummies. I hope things continue to improve for Obi. A food diary is a good idea. I have found that the least likely things to cause 'issues' as far as fresh food goes are herbs. I avoid feeding any fruit and carrots are only fed in tiny amounts once a week at most- just some scrapings of the skin, not a big chunk of carrot. The things most likely to set things off seem to be pelleted feeds (not only Excel) and products sold as 'Rabbit Treats'. These tend to be high in carbohydrates. The only 'treats' my Bunnies get are fresh/dried forage.

Spoke too soon. Nothing but herbs and pellets the last couple of days but I've come home to sloppy poops and brown drips all over his flooring.

IMG-20190831-185410.jpg

IMG-20190831-185400.jpg

IMG-20190831-184200.jpg

I'm wondering if it's stress related because the first time it happened when he was running about and had a bit of a shock and last night my brother came over and got in the run with him which was a completely new person and situation for him.

Eta: could it be anything to do with the fact he's eaten some lino flooring? It was a while back now but could it be interfering if it's still in his system or something?

Last edited:
Spoke too soon. Nothing but herbs and pellets the last couple of days but I've come home to sloppy poops and brown drips all over his flooring.

IMG-20190831-185410.jpg

IMG-20190831-185400.jpg

IMG-20190831-184200.jpg

I'm wondering if it's stress related because the first time it happened when he was running about and had a bit of a shock and last night my brother came over and got in the run with him which was a completely new person and situation for him.

Eta: could it be anything to do with the fact he's eaten some lino flooring? It was a while back now but could it be interfering if it's still in his system or something?

I certainly empathise with you as with gut issues there can often be relapses and the cause can be impossible to identify.

Do you wash all the herbs before feeding them to him ? I asked as sometimes what they are 'rinsed' with in the production process can upset a Rabbit's GI tract.

I'd keep him on hay only for 48 hours. If you can locate some bramble leaves you could feed him a few of them as bramble leaves (washed well) can help when the poo is 'unformed'. Then just introduce one type of well washed herb at a time.

As I think I said before it took a good year to get Lord H's gut issues relatively stable. He is 5 and a half now and *touches lots of wood* he has been 'relapse free' GI tract wise for almost all of this year. So hang on in there, hopefully things will settle down again over the next 48 hours xx

I think I was just tired last night, no idea why I said herbs, it's been hay and pellets only. I'll get some bramble leaves from the garden.
I'm meant to go camping tomorrow but I'm so stressed about leaving him. He should be fine though and he's got people checking in three times a day. It's so difficult to know what to do.

Thanks for the tip on the herbs, I'll definitely wash them all in future.

Overnight he's done a lot of normal poop and also a small pile of these long things.

Those poos look better :)

Have you considered trying him on a pellet free diet ? That is one of the things that sorted Lord H's gippy tummy out. I am sure you have already done so, but have a good check of his bum to make sure that it's nice and clean. Also, I'd ask the person checking on him whilst you are away to check his bum on each visit. He will be at higher risk of Flystrike due to his gut issues. As I said, I am sure that you are well on top of all of that. Just mentioning it incase anyone else reading the thread may not be aware of how 'high risk for flystrike' Bunnies' with dodgy tummies can be.

I'm posting this link for general information

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/flystrike/

Overnight he's done a lot of normal poop and also a small pile of these long things.

Atticus produces these [emoji51] he is pellet free, and just has hay, but it was still bad, also used to get wet splodges everywhere too [emoji51] I give him two of the oxbow gut tablet/treat things per day now and it's really really reduced/stopped the mess, he's been having more veg and forage since its got a bit better and he's really enjoying it [emoji38] always felt so bad, he's my least fussy bun, he really will eat anything you offer, yet for so long I wouldn't let him have anything but hay, poor thing [emoji38][emoji38]

I hope you can get to the bottom of your buns gut issues, it's really tough trying to work out what causes what, and cleaning their underneath every day :(

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Back