• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Messy fur (handreared kit)

As some of you may know I am hand rearing a kit who is now 4 week old. I am concerned about his coat it is messy no matter what I do. I've tried dry bathing, cotton wool and warm water, eyelash brush. But nothing works. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'll pop some pics on x

As some of you may know I am hand rearing a kit who is now 4 week old. I am concerned about his coat it is messy no matter what I do. I've tried dry bathing, cotton wool and warm water, eyelash brush. But nothing works. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'll pop some pics on x

Messy in what way ? Pics would be helpful x

I would try a:
- damp cloth for anything sticky - microfibre ones are good.
- comb of appropriate size for anything dry.

From the pics the fur looks like 'normal' kit fur for a medium to long coated Rabbit. What happened to his Mum and siblings ?
Well that's a long sad story,
Firstly I got 2 pet shop rabbits (never again) both was supposedly female. They wasnt.
The inevitable happened and we ended up with a litter which we stumbled upon in the back garden.
Immediately seperated the mum and dad.
Everything was going great until the kits got to five weeks.
Willow had another litter. (Got caught not long after kindling before we found the litter)
One by one the 5 week olds passed away with no symptoms.
At this point I had brought Willow, Fudge and the newborns inside, I thought they had been poisoned somehow.
Then a week later I came downstairs to find Willow had passed away.
People have told me it sounds like RHD2 they wasnt vaccinated.
Fudge survived, he never got Ill or went off his food at any point.
The newborns were all very small and thin and passed the following day.
The one who has survived was the only one with a full belly.
I'm taking it all day by day and I'm always on pins x
It's been a really horrific summer :(

Last edited:
Wow. That is some story. You are doing amazingly well with the kit.
Has Fudge been vaccinated yet?

Thank you. X

I've not had him vaccinated yet Incase he still has any of the illness in him. I was told vacs knock them down a little for a few days. I've not had fudge near inlé. He is in quarrentien in my room. Hes sleeping on my shoulder as I type.

Well that's a long sad story,
Firstly I got 2 pet shop rabbits (never again) both was supposedly female. They wasnt.
The inevitable happened and we ended up with a litter which we stumbled upon in the back garden.
Immediately seperated the mum and dad.
Everything was going great until the kits got to five weeks.
Willow had another litter. (Got caught not long after kindling before we found the litter)
One by one the 5 week olds passed away with no symptoms.
At this point I had brought Willow, Fudge and the newborns inside, I thought they had been poisoned somehow.
Then a week later I came downstairs to find Willow had passed away.
People have told me it sounds like RHD2 they wasnt vaccinated.
Fudge survived, he never got Ill or went off his food at any point.
The newborns were all very small and thin and passed the following day.
The one who has survived was the only one with a full belly.
I'm taking it all day by day and I'm always on pins x
It's been a really horrific summer :(

How very sad :cry: I would certainly consult a Rabbit Savvy Vet to discuss getting Fudge Vaccinated when he is old enough.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?472636-Vaccinations-2019&p=7041560#post7041560

ERAVAC RHD2 Vaccine can be given from the age of 30 days

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/documents/eravac-uk-datasheet-0.pdf

Back