• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear infection

Ah that's a good point, I hadn't really thought of that. The vet mentioned yesterday that general anaesthetic can affect their appetite so I think that was the main trigger of the stasis along with severe stress of being in the vets for an entire day and soreness. Poor bear.

Woke up early this morning and she hadn't moved from her position last night so I've been sat with her hand feeding her strands of hay. That seems to have perked her up a little tiny bit and kind of reminded her that it's nice to eat and she's voluntarily nibbling on the hay I've surrounded her with and isn't currently tummy pressing.

Just gearing myself up to syringe her some meloxaid and critical care and I'm going to syringe her a ml or 2 of water too just to make sure she's hydrated.

Determined to turn a corner with her today so going to go shops for anything and everything to stimulate her appetite, as well as making her move about and I'm going to do as much tummy massaging as she'll allow.
Would there be any risks with trying baby gas drops if I can find them (uk)?

Thanks so much for all the advice and support it's been really helpful. It's really feeling like a losing battle especially when I need her to be improved before weds when she goes to the bunny sitter.

Ah that's a good point, I hadn't really thought of that. The vet mentioned yesterday that general anaesthetic can affect their appetite so I think that was the main trigger of the stasis along with severe stress of being in the vets for an entire day and soreness. Poor bear.

Woke up early this morning and she hadn't moved from her position last night so I've been sat with her hand feeding her strands of hay. That seems to have perked her up a little tiny bit and kind of reminded her that it's nice to eat and she's voluntarily nibbling on the hay I've surrounded her with and isn't currently tummy pressing.

Just gearing myself up to syringe her some meloxaid and critical care and I'm going to syringe her a ml or 2 of water too just to make sure she's hydrated.

Determined to turn a corner with her today so going to go shops for anything and everything to stimulate her appetite, as well as making her move about and I'm going to do as much tummy massaging as she'll allow.
Would there be any risks with trying baby gas drops if I can find them (uk)?

Thanks so much for all the advice and support it's been really helpful. It's really feeling like a losing battle especially when I need her to be improved before weds when she goes to the bunny sitter.

Whether they are of any benefit or not is debatable, but they wont do any harm. There is Simethicone (Infacol) and Woodwards Gripe Water available from most Supermarkets. I only use the Gripe Water.

What is her poo output like now ?

When you feed/medicate her can you do so without picking her up ? An example can be seen on this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfROVhKTMxI&t=121s

Minimal poo output but she has passed a small amount - it's more wet type rather than pellets but I'm glad to see *something* coming out. She had a wee this morning too.

I've tried that way but she kicks and squirms free when the syringe comes near her mouth. Most successful techniques so far have been to sit cross legged and she'll sit in the gap with her front paws on my thigh perched next to my stomach so I can hold her to me and get it in quickly. Or, when shes in that position if I scoop up her behind with the arm next to her head, I can hold her firmly (not squishing her) to me and someone else can then get a bit in her mouth too whilst I hold her head still, gently. She seems slightly less stressed that way too.

Had slightly more success with the latter this morning and got about 4ml of critical care in, the dosage of meloxaid and a couple mls of water.
I've also given her a few tummy massages both with my hands gently and also with a vibrating toothbrush pressed against her side!!

She's put herself to bed and doesn't look like she's tummy pressing she looks fairly relaxed 🤞🏻 letting her chill for an hour and I'll do another critical care dose and tummy massage.

Just got back from pub and she's eaten 3/4 of the pellets that were put down last night and that she's shown no interest in since thurs am 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻
Think we're over the worst 🤞🏻
Thank you so much for the advice and support x

Update: she's voluntarily eaten some kale, parsley and basil today 🙌🏻

Just got back from pub and she's eaten 3/4 of the pellets that were put down last night and that she's shown no interest in since thurs am 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻
Think we're over the worst 🤞🏻
Thank you so much for the advice and support x

Thank goodness she seems to be showing some signs of improvement. Hopefully she will have passed some poo overnight . Sending lots more vibes xx

She's passed quite a lot small, uneven shaped pellets overnight along with a few strands of oval shaped ones strung together.

And eaten some more pellets and some veggies. She seems to have drank a v small amount of water - the bowl level hasn't dropped much but theres some fine debris in there from her pellets, I've been making sure her veggies are soaked in water so she's been getting some liquid there.

Think we're definitely on the mend!

Thanks again x

She's passed quite a lot small, uneven shaped pellets overnight along with a few strands of oval shaped ones strung together.

And eaten some more pellets and some veggies. She seems to have drank a v small amount of water - the bowl level hasn't dropped much but theres some fine debris in there from her pellets, I've been making sure her veggies are soaked in water so she's been getting some liquid there.

Think we're definitely on the mend!

Thanks again x

Definitely sounds as though she's turned a corner and hopefully her poos will return to normal over the next 48 hours. She is very lucky to have you to give her such great nursing care xx

Back