• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dara- The Spay or Not to Spay Dilemma U/D 2nd Sept 2019

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
As some of you know Dara is a tiny Nethie from a dubious background. She has both neurological and respiratory problems. At the moment the latter appears to be in full remission and although she still has some obvious neuro' 'issues' she has not had any more seizures other than the one she had after her Nobivac vaccination several months ago. My Rabbit savvy Vet had advised that to spay her would be too risky. However, Dara has been doing really well over the last 2 months. But she has had some very 'hormonal' times which are stressful for both her and her partner John-Joe. So on Friday she will be seeing my Rabbit Savvy Vet again to review things. If it is thought that spaying may now be a possibility Dara will have blood tests and a conscious chest Xray first. This wont be done on Friday I dont think, but immediately prior to whenever she is booked in to be spayed.

Given Dara's history and the fact that I lost my last 2 Does to post spay complications I am really anxious about it all. If it is thought that to spay her is now a viable option I will be so scared. But if I dont spay her then her life with JJ may be more stressful at times due to her hormonal driven behaviour. And if she were to develop UC I'd feel 100% to blame.

No point to this post really, just trying to get my head together about it all.

Last edited:
She is in good hands, you are taking full precautions and it is the sensible way forward, if it is reasonably possible. Fingers crossed.

I wish an implant could be devised for them as is for the males, but of course it wouldn't do much to prevent UC I guess. :(

I know you and C will make the best choice possible for wee Dara. I wish I could make it less stressful for you. (((((Hugs)))))) xxxxx

I really feel for you, it's a horrible dilemma to be in [emoji17]

I hope you will have some clarification after you've spoken to your vet on Friday and after the tests have been done. Given what's happened with your previous does, I would be extremely anxious about having another spay done too.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I think you trust your vet 100%, so does it complicate things a lot less if you just ask what she would do if it were her rabbit and go along with that recommendation?

I think you trust your vet 100%, so does it complicate things a lot less if you just ask what she would do if it were her rabbit and go along with that recommendation?

This is my standard line with a trusted vet.

I feel for you JJ, its a hard enough decision to make even if it wasn't for your recent tragic experiences with spaying. I hope your app with C clarifies things in your mind x

[/B]

This is my standard line with a trusted vet.

I feel for you JJ, its a hard enough decision to make even if it wasn't for your recent tragic experiences with spaying. I hope your app with C clarifies things in your mind x

Mine too :thumb:

I hope the appointment makes decisions easier.

Thanks all. I do trust C 100% and I know that if she had even the slightest doubts about going ahead with a spay she would not do it. But of course what can never be predicted is complications that occur very, very rarely. It's just extremely unfortunate that it happened to my last 2 Does. But prior to that I had had only one previous loss due to post spay complications and that was about 20 years ago. I just want to do what is best for Dara. She really is such a sweet little Bunny and for some reason she is really affectionate toward me, and not only if I have food to offer. She loves cuddles and she will give endless kisses :love:

6AnfGZv.jpg

I know what you're saying, but we can only ever make a choice based on the information in front of us. If something bad were to happen, you can't 100% ever know what will have happened if you'd taken a different course and, even if you could, you didn't know it at the time when you made the decision.

I know what you're saying, but we can only ever make a choice based on the information in front of us. If something bad were to happen, you can't 100% ever know what will have happened if you'd taken a different course and, even if you could, you didn't know it at the time when you made the decision.

Yes, that is very true. I just have very little self confidence in making 'good' decisions about anything. And Dara has found her way into the 'extra special' Bunny category. To lose her to a spay would devastate me. But I cant allow my fears to agree to get in the way of agreeing to go ahead with the procedure if my Rabbit Savvy Vet thinks it is the right thing to do. If Dara is spayed I think I'll need IV Valium on the day !! :lol:

She’s a very special bunny. I guess you just have to go with what C thinks. Sending love and nose rubs x

This is a horrible situation for you to be in and I know I would find such a decision extremely difficult. I would find the decision difficult if I had to make it regarding myself, but when it's in respect of an animal in your care, who can have no input to that decision it's much tougher.

In your position, with your recent sad experiences of spays, I would try very hard to come to a decision based purely on Dara and what, in your view with advice from C, would be in her best interest. What I'm saying is, although it will be very hard, try to come to a decision, which does not take into account the two losses following spays. The risks for Dara will be the same whether you had had those experiences or not. For instance, if Dara were my rabbit, I could be influenced by the fact that Tui's spay went very well. That, in my opinion, would be just as wrong as taking into account your losses. I think that statistics are also of little value here as no two rabbits are the same in terms of risk.

Where, of course, the losses will have an impact is your anxiety if you decide to go ahead with a spay.

I also agree very much with SarahP's point about making a choice.

This is a horrible situation for you to be in and I know I would find such a decision extremely difficult. I would find the decision difficult if I had to make it regarding myself, but when it's in respect of an animal in your care, who can have no input to that decision it's much tougher.

In your position, with your recent sad experiences of spays, I would try very hard to come to a decision based purely on Dara and what, in your view with advice from C, would be in her best interest. What I'm saying is, although it will be very hard, try to come to a decision, which does not take into account the two losses following spays. The risks for Dara will be the same whether you had had those experiences or not. For instance, if Dara were my rabbit, I could be influenced by the fact that Tui's spay went very well. That, in my opinion, would be just as wrong as taking into account your losses. I think that statistics are also of little value here as no two rabbits are the same in terms of risk.

Where, of course, the losses will have an impact is your anxiety if you decide to go ahead with a spay.

I also agree very much with SarahP's point about making a choice.

As ever, the voice of wisdom and reason. Thank you Omi.

Dara really is doing so well at the moment. She is what I would call the 'perfect' Bunny. She is full of character, but very cuddly. She is probably the most affectionate Rabbit I have had in the last 22 years, except for the late Inspector Morse.

I really would be beyond devastated if I lost her to a spay. But I will be guided by the professional opinion on C xx

Dara was re-examined by C today. The decision has been made that Dara will NOT be spayed. C is going to look into the possibility of the use of hormone implants should 'hormonal behaviour' become and issue that has a very negative on her quality of life.

I trust C 100% and I and she is always so mindful of my feelings as well as the clinical needs of my Pets. To be honest I dont know how I'd cope with my Pets without her xx

Back