• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bottled water?

Beau Belle

Mama Doe
My little Pepper has been having recurring bladder issues and has been on several courses of antibiotics since the end of last year. The Vet asked me to restrict high-calcium veg, which I did (that helped) and thankfully there doesn’t appear to be any sludge.

I have just seen her lift her bum higher than usual again, which is how I know she’s going to be feeling poorly soon.

I’ve been wondering if the tap water in their bowl has something to do with it - does anyone give their bun bottled water and if so, which brand?

Thanxx

My little Pepper has been having recurring bladder issues and has been on several courses of antibiotics since the end of last year. The Vet asked me to restrict high-calcium veg, which I did (that helped) and thankfully there doesn’t appear to be any sludge.

I have just seen her lift her bum higher than usual again, which is how I know she’s going to be feeling poorly soon.

I’ve been wondering if the tap water in their bowl has something to do with it - does anyone give their bun bottled water and if so, which brand?

Thanxx
We do only bottled water here, Tesco ashbeck is low in calcium, I use that - although the one bun who actually needs low calcium won't drink it, she likes Highland spring, so she has that [emoji38]

Hope everything will be okay for Pepper x

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

We do only bottled water here, Tesco ashbeck is low in calcium, I use that - although the one bun who actually needs low calcium won't drink it, she likes Highland spring, so she has that [emoji38]

Hope everything will be okay for Pepper x

Preferences - how cute! :D

Is it because you don’t like tap water or because they have sensitive bladders?

Thank you for sharing xx

We use Tesco Ashback here too, our tap water is high calcium and we had issues with recurrent UTIs, so we switched and haven't had as many problems :)

Preferences - how cute! :D

Is it because you don’t like tap water or because they have sensitive bladders?

Thank you for sharing xx

Yea Clementine is a very particular, fussy rabbit [emoji38]

We have very hard tap water and I just didn't like the idea of it, when Clementine got unwell though she was already on a low calcium water, but she drinks much more of the Highland spring. Aslong as she drinks lots I'm fine with it [emoji38] xx

Tescos Ashbeck and Volvic are virtually the same calcium content (very low, and easy to get hold of in shops).

We are a volvic family here as I have had bladder problems with past bunnies

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Speaking of calcium content of water (which is my favourite subject :oops: :lol: ), I have a junior scientist experiment planned. I suddenly realised that I could do a rough and ready calcium measurement with the test strips I bought after we got our water softener. Basically, I want to see what can be achieved with a Brita filter on multiple filterings. I've already measured the Volvic water.

Trouble is, my Brita filter has gone missing. So I'm going to buy another today... Watch this space! :lol:

Speaking of calcium content of water (which is my favourite subject :oops: [emoji38] ), I have a junior scientist experiment planned. I suddenly realised that I could do a rough and ready calcium measurement with the test strips I bought after we got our water softener. Basically, I want to see what can be achieved with a Brita filter on multiple filterings. I've already measured the Volvic water.

Trouble is, my Brita filter has gone missing. So I'm going to buy another today... Watch this space! [emoji38]
What was your findings with volvic?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I've done my little experiment, and.... well, it's a bit annoying, as my strips just aren't accurate enough at the lower range of calcium. So I can't be anywhere near so exact as I want. But, the Brita filter did a lot better than I thought it would.

My tap water = between 120 and 250 ppm, so hard to very hard
Brita filtered once = about 25 ppm
Brita filtered twice = 0 - 25 ppm (this is an annoyingly large range)
Volvic = 0 - 25 ppm

So basically, I wouldn't want to say that the Brita twice filtered water was as low in calcium as the Volvic, as I don't think it was. But it did do a really good job at reducing it down. And I also think that the Brita twice filtered water was probably lower in calcium than something like Highland Spring.

edit: also bear in mind that the Brita was a brand new filter, so ought to be at its best.

Interesting. I might get a filter jug.

There’s been no interest in the water fountain or the Volvic so far, which surprises me; they usually investigate anything new sharpish.

I never thought the Brita filters much cop up to now, because I had to descale my kettle a lot, even with a Brita filter. But, the key thing I think is to filter it through more than once if you have very hard water.

Back