• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Feeling Guilty.

Kierax

New Kit
Hi there, this is my first post on this website so I hope i'm doing this right.

Today ive had to put my 7 year old rabbit to sleep, she had ulcers in both of her eyes and was blind. She was in pain and taking pain killers every 3 hours yet despite this the decision to put her to sleep and actually doing it has made me feel so guilty that is making me distraught.

I was in the room with her when they put her to sleep and seeing her go from being cuddly with my mother to limp and lifeless was horrible - I didnt want her to be on her own which is why i stayed and I dont know if that was the best idea as I keep seeing it over and over in my head and each time I become really upset.

I loved her so much and she was honestly such a good rabbit, I didnt want her to be in pain any longer but I still feel guilty for putting her to sleep - I feel like she had way more to give - she was still eating and being herself (Was this because of the medication because as this wore off she went to sitting in one place) - I cant help but question myself and I hate what I've done.

Sorry for the complete ramble - this is the first time ive ever had to put a pet to sleep and im hoping I made the right decision.

Any advice on how to make the grieving process easier?

Thanks x

condolences

Today ive had to put my 7 year old rabbit to sleep, she had ulcers in both of her eyes and was blind. She was in pain and taking pain killers every 3 hours yet despite this the decision to put her to sleep and actually doing it has made me feel so guilty that is making me distraught.

I was in the room with her when they put her to sleep and seeing her go from being cuddly with my mother to limp and lifeless was horrible - I didnt want her to be on her own which is why i stayed and I dont know if that was the best idea as I keep seeing it over and over in my head and each time I become really upset.

I loved her so much and she was honestly such a good rabbit, I didnt want her to be in pain any longer but I still feel guilty for putting her to sleep - I feel like she had way more to give - she was still eating and being herself (Was this because of the medication because as this wore off she went to sitting in one place) - I cant help but question myself and I hate what I've done.

Sorry for the complete ramble - this is the first time ive ever had to put a pet to sleep and im hoping I made the right decision.

Thanks x
dear kierax,--first,-my greatest heartfelt condolences..-second solice-now you know why I respond to posts..--7-years is a long time for a commitment of care,-we always wish it was longer,-in actuality we [all]-are here on this great planet for a short time..we are no better than how we treat our animals.,we go through our lives not realizing how interacted with nature that we are,until we lose one..-god bless,--sincerely james waller from across the great pond-usa:love::wave:

I’m so sorry :cry: it sounds like you did everything you could for her, including a final act of kindness to end her suffering. I’m sure the vet thought it was the best decision too. It’s never easy to lose one of our furry friends, no matter what the circumstances are.

Perhaps you could post a tribute to her in the rainbow bridge section :love:

Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

Thanks x

I am very sorry for your loss :cry: It is always so hard to have to make the decision to have a pet PTS, but it is the final act of love and compassion we can give them when they are in pain and treatment is not helping. I can understand that in part you feel guilty, but there really is no need to do so. Your decision was selfless, putting your Rabbit's needs first and not wanting her to suffer any more.

As suggested by Zoobec posting a tribute thread to her in 'Rainbow Bridge' may be something you feel able to do.

RIP little Bunny xx

So sorry for your loss, to stay with a pet when they are being PTS is a brave and heartbreaking decision but you did what you did out of love. (((hugs))))

So sorry that you had to let your bunny go, it's never easy, but I'm sure having you there would have been a great comfort to her. Yes I agree with others, if and when you feel ready, a little tribute in Rainbow Bridge may help xxx

Oh no, so sorry for your loss, however it sounds like you did all you could and now the suffering is over. Its the worst thing ever to do, I've had to do it in the past :cry:.
RIP sweet rabbit x

Sorry for your loss. Its a very difficult thing to do to put your beloved bunny to sleep, but if she was suffering it sounds like you did the right thing for her and in the passing weeks that will bring you comfort i'm sure. You did your very best for her, keep telling yourself that.

regards
Pandora x

Back