• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Partridge, failed rescue mission - hope I did the right thing

I called up a local rescuer today and we went to look for it together. It was pouring with rain though and the bird was no-where to seen.

A local busybody came over and started to tell the guy there was no point - he said the bird is happy and the locals like it being there. So he went off and I got the impression that he was annoyed I had wasted his time (which of course was never my intention)

But 1.

There should not be a bird like a partridge living in a busy city

2. It let me get way too close to it and was stood around with closed eyes a lot - it gave the impression of not being in good health.

Hope I didn't put out the rescuer, I felt like I was doing the right thing. The guy who came over was an older man and he really talked down to me. He spoke with such authority that that was that and the rescuer tool his word and left.

Guess I did everything I could...I just hope I didn't tick off the rescuer too much because I'd never dream of wasting someone's time who works in rescue.
dear beapig,--wow,donot let this discourage-from going forward with knowledge.the partridge may have found refuge,but in reality,not,- you would have to pitch a tent,and wait-which is unreal..my personal experience with pigeons has given me insight to their world,and I enjoy caring for them,the last 15 years..--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

Please don't be discouraged. Even if your concern for the bird didn't lead to the result you wanted, the fact that you cared and shared your concern with others is admirable.

This is probably a daft idea, but could you not take something like meal worms and get nearer and nearer by feeding. The bird might benefit from the protein and let you get a lot nearer?

This is probably a daft idea, but could you not take something like meal worms and get nearer and nearer by feeding. The bird might benefit from the protein and let you get a lot nearer?

This is worth a try.

I would dismiss the person who came over as an idiot. How can he determine that the bird is happy and also whether the locals like it there or not really has no relevance in what is important for the bird.

I don't know how knowledgeable the rescue person was. He may know very little about wild birds.

Back