• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Partridge, failed rescue mission - hope I did the right thing

Beapig

Mama Doe
I was walking through a very small park in the city today and saw a strange bird walking through the bushes. At first I thought it was a quail. I looked it up and it was a partridge.

It's an extremely beautiful bird. I instantly felt concerned though because it was 1. Alone in the middle of a city, bit out of place and 2. Way too tame. I could get within half a metre of it and it wouldn't flinch.

1 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

I went in the local cafe - the guy says it has been hanging around for a few weeks, that he looked it up and it is a rare type of partridge, only 305 left in the wild? But as it is so tame, I wonder if it escaped from captivity. And if I should call the RSPB.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I was walking through a very small park in the city today and saw a strange bird walking through the bushes. At first I thought it was a quail. I looked it up and it was a partridge.

It's an extremely beautiful bird. I instantly felt concerned though because it was 1. Alone in the middle of a city, bit out of place and 2. Way too tame. I could get within half a metre of it and it wouldn't flinch.

1 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

I went in the local cafe - the guy says it has been hanging around for a few weeks, that he looked it up and it is a rare type of partridge, only 305 left in the wild? But as it is so tame, I wonder if it escaped from captivity. And if I should call the RSPB.

Any thoughts?

It's not rare. It's a Red-legged Partridge (affectionately known as a Frenchman), which has been released by the shooting mob. Sadly though this bird is very unwell, which you can tell by the closed eyes, puffed up plumage and the fact that it doesn't run away. They are normally very wary. I don't think there is anything you can do for it :(

He is so beautiful, what a stunning bird. I would definitely call the RSPB, be interesting to hear what they say.

It's not rare. It's a Red-legged Partridge (affectionately known as a Frenchman), which has been released by the shooting mob. Sadly though this bird is very unwell, which you can tell by the closed eyes, puffed up plumage and the fact that it doesn't run away. They are normally very wary. I don't think there is anything you can do for it :(

Oh no! The man in the cafe told me it has been around for a few weeks and that he thought it was a rare type of Partridge. Hunters did occur to me, but I live in Cardiff so I thought it was unlikely to be hunters - too much in the city.

Omi, do you think there's any way I can save it? Because I'd gladly go back with a carrier. I've fallen in love with this little bird, truly. I have a friend who is a vet assistant so maybe I can get him/her looked at.

Oh no! The man in the cafe told me it has been around for a few weeks and that he thought it was a rare type of Partridge. Hunters did occur to me, but I live in Cardiff so I thought it was unlikely to be hunters - too much in the city.

Omi, do you think there's any way I can save it? Because I'd gladly go back with a carrier. I've fallen in love with this little bird, truly. I have a friend who is a vet assistant so maybe I can get him/her looked at.

You could try, but I can't say whether you can save it. A vet would possibly be able to determine what the problem is and if necessary could put the poor bird to sleep.

You could try, but I can't say whether you can save it. A vet would possibly be able to determine what the problem is and if necessary could put the poor bird to sleep.

I just spent the past hour trying to catch him/her. It is a fast runner and can fly! So maybe not so ill? Two lads in the park tried to help me with a carrier and towel. When we finally had it cornered, it flew about 20ft in the air on top of some old ruins. Should I still contact a bird charity about it? I'm not sure.

I just spent the past hour trying to catch him/her. It is a fast runner and can fly! So maybe not so ill? Two lads in the park tried to help me with a carrier and towel. When we finally had it cornered, it flew about 20ft in the air on top of some old ruins. Should I still contact a bird charity about it? I'm not sure.

I'm not sure either tbh. I can't see the RSPB doing anything about it. I still think that the best thing to do, if you feel you want to do something, is to try to get it to a vets.

Don't phone the rspb, they don't rescue birds, they are a conservation charity and won't be able to help

. Please ring the RSPCA and they will be able to send someone out to rescue it. Not sure what they can do though, it does look very poorly in that photo, like it's stunned or in shock and birds don't do well with shock.

Or if you can catch it, take it to a local wildlife carer. If you Google you should find somewhere near you who takes in injured wildlife. I recently took a juvenile jackdaw to a man to hand rear near me

Don't phone the rspb, they don't rescue birds, they are a conservation charity and won't be able to help

. Please ring the RSPCA and they will be able to send someone out to rescue it. Not sure what they can do though, it does look very poorly in that photo, like it's stunned or in shock and birds don't do well with shock.

Or if you can catch it, take it to a local wildlife carer. If you Google you should find somewhere near you who takes in injured wildlife. I recently took a juvenile jackdaw to a man to hand rear near me

I very much doubt that the RSPCA would do anything. They ignored my request to check out a rabbit without adequate food, shelter or basic care. They're let me (or should I say the animals) down more times than I can count.

So I'll probably take matters into my own hands. I'll talk to my friend tomorrow who is a vet assistant and see if she has any suggestions.

But I tried catching it for ages and totally failed. Any tips? Maybe putting some food down in the carrier?

I very much doubt that the RSPCA would do anything. They ignored my request to check out a rabbit without adequate food, shelter or basic care. They're let me (or should I say the animals) down more times than I can count.

So I'll probably take matters into my own hands. I'll talk to my friend tomorrow who is a vet assistant and see if she has any suggestions.

But I tried catching it for ages and totally failed. Any tips? Maybe putting some food down in the carrier?
Yes you could try food into a carrier, or if you've got a big sheet or towel you could chuck it over it to stop it flying off, then bundle it up into a box. Yes I agree the RSPCA will probably not do anything, but they are supposed too. :(

dear beapig,-sounds like you have some help available,-you needa long pole with a fishing net,18" [45cm]--metal loop type fishing catch net..once caught exam reguired and my guess the poops will show salmonella,pigeons act the same way-rx amoxicillin-15mgx3x daily...hope this helps-sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

dear beapig,-sounds like you have some help available,-you needa long pole with a fishing net,18" [45cm]--metal loop type fishing catch net..once caught exam reguired and my guess the poops will show salmonella,pigeons act the same way-rx amoxicillin-15mgx3x daily...hope this helps-sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

I called up a local rescuer today and we went to look for it together. It was pouring with rain though and the bird was no-where to seen.

A local busybody came over and started to tell the guy there was no point - he said the bird is happy and the locals like it being there. So he went off and I got the impression that he was annoyed I had wasted his time (which of course was never my intention)

But 1.

There should not be a bird like a partridge living in a busy city

2. It let me get way too close to it and was stood around with closed eyes a lot - it gave the impression of not being in good health.

Hope I didn't put out the rescuer, I felt like I was doing the right thing. The guy who came over was an older man and he really talked down to me. He spoke with such authority that that was that and the rescuer tool his word and left.

Guess I did everything I could...I just hope I didn't tick off the rescuer too much because I'd never dream of wasting someone's time who works in rescue.

Last edited:
I really can't wrap my head around it. This partridge was easily the most beautiful bird I've ever seen. I can't understand for the life of me why someone would want to kill them :cry:

I bet you find that difficult.
Yea, just a tad.

More difficult when he used to crash at my studio flat after hunts and I'd have to store what he'd brought back over night... [emoji849] Was only because I was in Central and it was easier for him.. Meant he could get a train back into Central London and didn't have to get a train out again in a different direction. Also the hanging them up in the garage for weeks is a bit upsetting.

I can't personally understand the appeal, but I guess everyone's different. I do like shooting stuff though [emoji38] just not things that are alive... [emoji51]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Aww Beapig, I agree with omi that it does not look well. It's looking similar to when my chickens where poorly (closing eyes and hungered down shoulders :( ) . It would be great if you could catch it but also if you can't please don't feel bad as you are not a trained and equipped person for catching wild animals. Is it possible to lure it into a cage with some food? Maybe like a trap if they exsist? Hopefully your vet friend with be more helpful

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Back