• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fast Breathing

clarebear

Mama Doe
Hello,
Today I took Bungee to the vets for her VHD2 vaccine. I was a bit worried about her, as she hadn't eaten her breakfast pellets, but thought maybe she had just sensed the vet trip.
I explained that she hadn't eaten since about 7.15am and he listened to her tummy, said there was definitely gut movement, but it keep an eye on her. She had her jab.
I rang the vets again at 4pm, explaining that Bungee still hadn't eaten. They suggested trying to syringe her some recovery. She took about one syringe full, although I don't think she had it all. I've tried to tempt her with all her favourites all day, but still not eating.
I rang the vets back about 5 30pm and told them I was concerned about her not having eaten and her breathing had become a lot faster. They said to bring her in.
Vet said her temperature was slightly low. Teeth fine, tummy still moving. Gave her Metacam and Emiprid injections. Brought her home. Still not eating. She seems disorientated and keeps running to the back door. Her breathing alternates between very fast and fast.
Should I try and syringe feed her again? She hasn't weed or pooped since we got back from the vets.
Really concerned about her.
Thank you for reading if you got this far! X

We've been back to the vets this morning and they are happy with Bungee's progress. Tummy still a little bit slow, but she said that was probably also the stress of going to the vets.
She's eaten some pellets this morning and is now having a hop in the garden.
She certainly seems more herself today!

I'm just so happy to see her eating again! She's currently eating her way through a bowl of veg x

fantastic news.

not sure if it's relevant as Bungee was out of sorts before she had her VHD2 injection, but my Poppy was not right for about 24hrs after her VHD2.

Back