Thread: Is it safe to give my rabbits plastic tunnels if they eat them?

Default Is it safe to give my rabbits plastic tunnels if they eat them?

I was thinking of giving my rabbits plastic tunnels in their outdoor run. I just wanted to know if it was safe to give them plastic tunnels if they are going to chew them?

I now of a rabbit that died from blocked intestines as they'd ingested lots of plastic from the cheap green tunnels from Pets at Home. The harder drainage pipe ones or runaround tunnels are much tougher so I would think these would be ok, but obviously monitor for chewing
    Bunny mum to rescue rabbits Cinna, Katniss, Prim, Haymitch, Rose, Shadow, Claudia, Ollie, Blue, Willow, Belle and Ruben
    Binky free at the bridge Kylie boops, Desbun & Nemo. Miss you so much
    Manager at Rabbit Residence Rescue

Quote Originally Posted by tabithakat64 View Post
    I now of a rabbit that died from blocked intestines as they'd ingested lots of plastic from the cheap green tunnels from Pets at Home. The harder drainage pipe ones or runaround tunnels are much tougher so I would think these would be ok, but obviously monitor for chewing
    Thanks for that, i was thinking of buying the snuggle safe tunnel, is that the same one from Pets at Home?

My Heidi began eating (she was not just chewing it and leaving the pieces behind) her plastic litter box so I now give her disposable litter boxes made from compressed paper (like heavy paper egg cartons).
    Plastic can be sharp and injure the bunny's delicate digestive system too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nina Pas View Post
    Thanks for that, i was thinking of buying the snuggle safe tunnel, is that the same one from Pets at Home?
    Yes, I think it
    is. You can source free pipes and tubes from building sites if you're brave enough to ask nicely
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Doughnut's got a material one

Mama Doe

I have a bunny that has eaten rather a lot of plastic and lino flooring and is still going strong! Probably not advisable to allow them to eat it but Bertie will eat anything he can get his teeth on!