• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it safe to give my rabbits plastic tunnels if they eat them?

Nina Pas

New Kit
I was thinking of giving my rabbits plastic tunnels in their outdoor run. I just wanted to know if it was safe to give them plastic tunnels if they are going to chew them?

I now of a rabbit that died from blocked intestines as they'd ingested lots of plastic from the cheap green tunnels from Pets at Home. The harder drainage pipe ones or runaround tunnels are much tougher so I would think these would be ok, but obviously monitor for chewing

I now of a rabbit that died from blocked intestines as they'd ingested lots of plastic from the cheap green tunnels from Pets at Home. The harder drainage pipe ones or runaround tunnels are much tougher so I would think these would be ok, but obviously monitor for chewing
Thanks for that, i was thinking of buying the snuggle safe tunnel, is that the same one from Pets at Home?

My Heidi began eating (she was not just chewing it and leaving the pieces behind) her plastic litter box so I now give her disposable litter boxes made from compressed paper (like heavy paper egg cartons).
Plastic can be sharp and injure the bunny's delicate digestive system too.

I have a bunny that has eaten rather a lot of plastic and lino flooring and is still going strong! Probably not advisable to allow them to eat it but Bertie will eat anything he can get his teeth on!

Back